kkeenan

Be Safe This Weekend

Here comes another weekend. The season is heating up and there have been more accidents than I can remember recently. Every weekend, a whole new crop are posted. We all spend the week trying to figure out what all happened to our friends, then, before you know it, it's Friday and you just know what's coming - more accidents.

Please take time this weekend to think and look around and be extra aware. Please remember that your next jump may be the one where you miss something, where you relax a little too much, or where your buddy does the same. You never know when you will have to perform to the limit of your ability just to stay alive. Enjoy the Blue Skies, but remember that Black Death is an inescapable part of this sport. Try to see events coming just a little bit sooner. That's the definition of Safety - avoiding situations before they become threatening.

Every weekend, the Incidents Forum has been popping like a stock market ticker. Let's try to slow this down. The life you save may be your own - or, more importantly, mine. ;)

Peace,
Kevin K.

And don't forget to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! :)

...and also eat, moderately, through the day, and not just pure sugar - even if it's just a few granola bars now and then. Being fueled up is very important to staying mentally focused - which is very important to staying careful.

Gee, what is with you new guys?

Talking up safety in the proper setting is fine, but the way you are doing it here is, well, kind of jinxy.

We had a guy about two months back on the BASE side of the street post, and I'm paraphrasing, "Wow, we haven't had a BASE fatality in close to seven months. We must be doing something right."

Then bang, that very weekend we had two.

And in general conversation it's best not to tell people to be careful, just tell 'em to have fun. As that basically covers it all without the jinx part . . .

NickD :)

"Wow, we haven't had a BASE fatality in close to seven months. We must be doing something right." :)

Well, unfortunately, there's sure no chance of that statement showing up on the skydiving side.

So, to Nick's supersticious ass, I say, "Have fun". All the rest of you, be careful.;)

Kevin K.

Gee, what is with you new guys?

In all seriousness, I don't say that to anyone at the DZ. I say "have fun" and I do consider the fact that I don't want to jinx people. This is the intarwebz though so I didn't realize the same rule applied.

p.s. I was just goofing around with the strike-out thing, not trying to be rude. :)

Here comes another weekend.

Exactly . . . another weekend. And that's ALL it is, just another weekend.

Might I suggest that people not be especially safe THIS weekend, but rather ALWAYS be safe EVERY weekend.

The idea that some weekends are somehow "special" seems silly to me.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver