bloody_trauma

discipline advise...

so i don;t really know where i want to go in my skydiving progression, belly flying is cool and all, and i did a six point skydive, and thought that was ok, maye better with more speed between movements, did my graduation jump, went head down and that felt great, but i dunno what i like yet, what else is there and how do get into these disciplines?
Fly it like you stole it

From the sound of your post, you are pretty much unimpressed with skydiving and want to be spoon-fed your next level of excitement. If you're not motivated enough to talk to real people about what the sport has to offer, but rather want your instructions dictated to you via the internet, then I would advise you to find a new passtime. Only my opinion, of course, but that opinion is that judging from your words, you don't have the interest to safely persue skydiving.

Kevin Keenan

Naw, we've just gotten so used to the thought that we need to be "progressing towards a goal" that we figure that the right goal has to be picked immediately, and that any jumps that aren't directly in line to that goal are wasted.

What darkwing said -- just shut up and jump. Come to the corner of the packing room that's across from manifest (where Kirsten has her locker) and look around, or get Kirsten, Val or DJ (or whoever else) to introduce you around. You might want to start with belly work, because you're reducing the number of variables in some ways that way, which means more brain cells left over for little stuff like awareness and canopy control. I won't be there next weekend, but I'll most definitely jump with you after that if you want.

If you show up early your chances go way up. Often times by 11-noon or so people are pretty well established with what group they're jumping with that day, and it can get harder to find a load.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

From one noob to another, you're probably not even scratching the surface on the stuff you've done already and the experienced guys are trying to point this out (I think). One 6 way doesn't = RW. Going a bit head down doesn't = FF. I've done back & a little sit in the tunnel but haven't tried in the air yet. I'm not ready.

You may be a lot better at these things than me but I know I have soooooo much to learn in any of these disciplines. I'd suggest focusing on getting your license and being as good at you can on your belly before you get into anything more advanced.

As a side note, most (edit: should have said "some" rather than "most") student gear isn't FF safe, be aware that you may risk premature deployment or other issues if you're tying to sit/back/other FF with some student gear.

Ask your instructor is really the default answer for any student. I followed that when I was a student. Now I ask my friends who are coaches and/or have 1000+ jumps. As much as my ego wants to do otherwise, I know their advice is way more important.

Blue skies.

As a side note, most student gear isn't FF safe, be aware that you may risk premature deployment or other issues if you're tying to sit/back/other FF with some student gear.

Is it most student gear or some student gear? And what exactly is it, in your opinion, about "student gear" that isn't good for FF? I've seen lots of student gear that's fine for FF. Of course, "lots" is a pretty relative term. I haven't been around long and I've only been to a dozen or so DZs so my experience with what's being used for students might be much more limted than yours.
Owned by Remi #?

Is it most student gear or some student gear? And what exactly is it, in your opinion, about "student gear" that isn't good for FF? I've seen lots of student gear that's fine for FF. Of course, "lots" is a pretty relative term. I haven't been around long and I've only been to a dozen or so DZs so my experience with what's being used for students might be much more limted than yours.

I changed the second one to "some" because I realized I may be over stating it.

If you'll allow me to rephrase: Check with your instructor that your student gear is ok to FF before trying.

I get a little over eager at times, my apologies.

I've been told, referring to the student gear at my DZ that the main pin cover isn't necessarily set up for head down. That the hackey may have issues if the elastic is loose and potentially the BOC dual access (whatever they call the method for the AFFIs to pull for a student) might have issues as well.

I've been told that it's not a good idea. Again, apologies if I over stated, I meant to change all "mosts" to "some" but I missed that first one.

Yeah! 23 jumps in 2 years? You would figure with so much time in between, you would be more excited. I did my tandem in May, signed up for school 2 weeks later, got my license 2 weeks ago, and have made 9 jumps since. I'm still a belly flyer. Haven't even started free flying and still love the s%*t out of it! Maybe you should try running with the bulls or swimming with sharks.
Paul Hardin....RIP.

...what else is there and how do get into these disciplines?

FS
Freeflying
VRW
CRW
Skysurf
Demonstrations
B.A.S.E.
...and more

Get into them by developing a mentor for instruction and advice. Keypoint: Listen to, and heed, them.

The thing is that in order to get good at any of them, you will have to stick with it long enough to get there.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239