finch

1st time in a cloud

What do you do if you are jumping between 11am and 1pm? Which way is the sun then?

Hehe. Yea, good point.

But really, how big can clouds really be?

You don't want to know. :D I must have been in one for 2-4k feet. It was like I had died, gone to heaven and was waiting in a queue to see God for 5 minutes. That's something I wish I had gotten on camera.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

disclaimer: new jumper/36 jumps, Triathalon 175 loaded @1.2/ft2- my only exprience with "slow sprial" to maintain vertical space in the pattern got me a new one ripped. And this was in clear skies! I imagine that the same would apply in cloudy conditions. Slow and straight will be my game plan ( This is of course only if I have made the mistake of jumping in weather that would be less than desireable for the experience level of the ENTIRE load and not just me or another jumper) Thanks for the input/advice!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

You're not supposed to go in clouds. You're supposed to fly above and around clouds ... B|

It was um... *ahem*... unavoidable...

Well there were two options, clouds and land on the DZ or fly around and land off. In 105 jumps I haven't landed off (other than just off the DZ a bit on AFF1).

Just really don't want to know what it's like to land in a field full of animals or crazy farmers if I can help it. :P
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

>my only exprience with "slow sprial" to maintain vertical space
>in the pattern got me a new one ripped.

That's a different issue. When you can see other canopies, flying in a pattern is important to ensure safe separation from other canopies and avoid collisions near the ground. Spiraling through a pattern (_or_ flying straight through a pattern, deep brakes or not) are both quite dangerous.