Spatula

VA Record Attemp - 100 Way @ Skydive the Point

Heard they got the record at 88.

That is what I was on back in '99, an 88 way at Suffolk... out of 89... [:/] It made a great picture anyway, since you couldn't see the lone out anywhere, but I was looking right at him below me. :D

So they tied the unofficial largest formation and made it official. Cool job.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm not being a hater here, I had this happen to me before. This was a much smaller attempt of coures.

Dont the 'rules' say that if you don't complete whatever you attempt, then the entire jump is a wash?
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

Friday afternoon and Saturday was lost due to Hanna rolling through. There was some practice 40-50 way formation loads done on Thursday and Friday morning. Sunday we started at 8 AM with 89 ways out of two Casas, an Otter and a King Air. There were a couple of slots shifted around, some late arrivals added and a couple of people cut, and the 4th attempt was an 88 way that came within two seconds of completing before break-off at 7K. The 5th and final attempt built faster and was held for about 6-8 seconds or so.

The 88 way is the official state record, recorded with USPA and the new state record program. We had a successful 87-way back in 1997, and the Suffolk attempts in 1999 built to 98 with the 99th person out. So it was very close to a complete formation but did not complete.

Hopefully sometime we can get a successful 100 plus jumpers to make a 3-digit record for Virginia. Congratulations to all the participants. The record jump flew really well. The organizers and club volunteers busted their ass to put this event on.

Jim Crouch

the Suffolk attempts in 1999 built to 98 with the 99th person out. So it was very close to a complete formation but did not complete.

I'm pretty sure that attempt was an 89 way that built to 88. I could get out the picture and count them... ;) I remember that one well. One guy kept messing up on a few prior jumps. He was in the middle between the base and outer wackers, right in front of me. On that jump, he messed up again and almost took me out. I got a couple feet low, got big, and got in, and then watched him tumble way down there and then track off by himself. In the picture, I'm the only one not looking ahead at the base, my head is tilted because I was looking at the idiot go. :D And yeah, he got cut after that.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The 88 way is the official state record, recorded with USPA and the new state record program. We had a successful 87-way back in 1997

Congrats, I was on the 87 way back in '97 and have been surprised that it lasted so long! I remember we had weather rolling in when we did the successful jump but it sounds like you had weather on the front end.. :)
Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"