Groundbound

free fall rotations

Be advised, I WILL follow my instructor's (whomever that will be) specfic tutelage "to the letter" when the time comes.. until then - can you tell me what you think I can expect will be the rule of the day if, after we exit, we start an unplanned roll, spin, 'head-over-heals motion'?
Think I will be asked to freeze in a 'symmetrical' position? Assume a pre-planned posture? Mimic what he is doing?
Maybe the response is different for the various oscillations available?

Thanks!

It's nearly impossible to relax when you spin 1-2 revolutions per second.

Instead of doing nothing, DO SOMETHING. Do random motions. Kick your legs and arms. Suddenly, the spin will stop. Then relax, do a "I f*cking don't care" arch and maintain stability.

If you can't get stable in 5 seconds, PULL.

The correct answer, no matter what, is DO WHAT YOUR INSTRUCTOR TRAINS YOU TO DO.

Dave

That is definately correct in my meager opinion. I spun like a top the 1st time my instructor let me go. Yes, it scared the shit out of me, but I arched as hard as I could (like I was told to). I tried to correct the spin with the limited knowledge I had at the time, It could not. My instructor flew in and docked me, thus STOPPING the spin. The spin was constant and allowed for the instructor to time the dock, Giving me a chance to regain composure prior to deploying. I am sure Ed would have attempted to dock me even if I was tumbling and spinning, but why not do as your told and make it easier for the instructor (I would hate to have been kicking my feet and wacked him in the face, thus putting us both in a bad position).

Lastly, OBEY your pull altitude as directed by your instructor. In the words of my instructor in order:
1) PULL
2) PULL ON TIME (i.e. Correct Altitude)
3) PULL STABLE

Stay Safe,

Phil

PS I just read this is a Tandem? HEHE do as your told and have a bitchin' ride.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Kick your legs and arms. Suddenly, the spin will stop.

I don't know if this is sarcasm, but I think it should be made clear that this is definately not what you should do! :S

The best way to get stable is to arch, even if you are upside down you will automatically flip over back to belly to earth, your instructor will explain this to you and will be happy to answer any other questions you may have. Have fun!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

He's talking about a tandem. And advice like that is really dangerous to any student. The correct answer, no matter what, is DO WHAT YOUR INSTRUCTOR TRAINS YOU TO DO.

Dave

I agree. Random actions will fix a few problems, but cause many more. Everything I do in freefall is to the best of my ability in regards to what my instructors told me to do. If I'm not stable, it is because I'm not doing what they said. My gut reaction is to do what they said. The basics. RELAX! Arch, smile........it is amazing. Teeth to wind is a most powerful control surface! Get those choppers out there and let's have some fun!! Just a very inexperienced opinion.

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman