kkeenan

No Safety Day ??

I've been talking to some patrons of a well-known DZ which has no Safety Day activities planned.

Personally, I think SD is a good idea. I've worked in the aerospace industry for some time, and have seen programs like this at places like Kennedy Space Center. It helps people focus on safety issues and is a good yearly "resetting" of values.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many jumpers out there jump at USPS Group Member DZs which do not participate in the SD program.

Kevin K.

I've been talking to some patrons of a well-known DZ which has no Safety Day activities planned.

Personally, I think SD is a good idea. I've worked in the aerospace industry for some time, and have seen programs like this at places like Kennedy Space Center. It helps people focus on safety issues and is a good yearly "resetting" of values.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many jumpers out there jump at USPS Group Member DZs which do not participate in the SD program.

Kevin K.

Many northern DZs aren't even open for the season yet.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yep, our Safety Day is just pushed back to April 2. I think it's a good idea to delay it until people really are coming out to start their season. We just got like 6 inches of snow here... skydiving is still barely a thought in a lot of peoples' minds.

Dave

Is it that they have none planned at all...or just none this weekend? Ours like Dave is re-scheduled till April. Instead of safety day we have an entire weekend...
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Many northern DZs aren't even open for the season yet.

:P Aerograd (Russia, near Moskow, definitely northern DZ) was open through the winter.
Made 4 jumps today... a lot of snow (1.5 meters I believe) but it was cleared in LZ.

Yes, but you guys are tough. I think this thread is about Americans.:o

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Ours is also going to be April 2nd. Just got slammed with yet another snow storm over the weekend, got over a foot of snow. I now have almost three feet of snow in my yard. I am so sick of snow. I can't wait to jump again. Next winter I am definatly going to florida sometime during the winterB|
Only eight more days till spring, right?

Tony

We were jumping in CT today. It was snowing out during load 1 (a 3300 foot hop n' pop, cause of clouds). Flying my canopy through snow was actually really fun. Clouds finally cleared and we went all the way up. Freaking cold, but fun! 7-way hybrid from today. (that was the entire otter load).

Some of us have been jumping most weekends, and I've already been in the hanging harness when I took a coach rating course last weekend (still waiting on the air evals till I'm a little more current).

Season's in full swing for some northern jumpers, even in the US. :P

Dave

We run our spring refresher "Safety Day" on Good Friday, and have done so for over 20 years now. Easter is really early this year, but closer to the good weather than USPA's chosen day. I think that they chose a good middle day for a lot of dz's. But I would rather run Safety Day when most of our jumpers that lay off for the winter are going to be starting up for the season. Hence the different date.:)