SkyPainter

Jumping in the WINTER :( ....

Well it was -10C when we opened yesterday but probably up to -3 by the time we got the ice off the wings. -15 at altitude so not that bad. Of course I only did six.

my persoanl limit is -12C on the ground. But I do not bulk up like some are willing to - during a spinning mal I don't care if I am cold....

R

If you ever see anything in the news about a skydiver knocking herself out with her boobs and falling, unconscious, to her death, you'll know that I tried naked skydiving.

That post is worthless without a picture to put things in perspective.:)

Dammit .. LOL .. Now why did you have to go and do that? For once, I was trying keep my mind on the straight and narrow by neglecting to respond to one of her posts in which the door is left wide open :)

Why?

Haha .. Good point :)
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

If you ever see anything in the news about a skydiver knocking herself out with her boobs and falling, unconscious, to her death, you'll know that I tried naked skydiving.

Well, if I ever try I'll make sure to splurge and get a video...or at least some pics. I'd imagine I could convince someone to do it for free considering there would be a naked girl involved.

Well, if I ever try I'll make sure to splurge and get a video...or at least some pics. I'd imagine I could convince someone to do it for free considering there would be a naked girl involved.

Where do you jump out of? ;)

i have a full face helmet....wear a neck gator. have heavy gloves and wear under armor/polar tech stuff. we also fly south in the winter as our dz has limited hours in the winter and is very weather dependent.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Hi! I am now jumping out of Jumptown in Orange, MA. I asked yesterday about how long they jump there, and it is actually pretty deep into the winter, so I will continue onward as much as I can with AFF there.

Jumped CAT B and C-1 yesterday. B went fine, and C-1 almost did ...until open time! Flew the jump fine, but fumbled looking for the handle at pull time - instructors had to pull/assist. I will fix that asap!

I want to get to solo status, at least, before winter really kicks-in. I will travel in the winter a time or three to stay current if I need to. I have friends near Skydive Arizona, and in Florida, so those may be options!

This is the coolest thing one can do with clothes on ....or off, even! ;)

SkyPainter
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

Just be selective about gloves. You need to retain enough manual dexterity and surface friction that pulling your hackey, keeping hold of your toggles and executing EPs are not compromised.

Latex gloves underneath can maintain heat without being too bulky, but you might want to put them on in the plane or your hands sweat (which makes them colder in the long run). My 2 cents.

I've heard about a couple places in the Midwest that jump through the winter, but my guess is that none of them would allow student jumps then. Anyone happen to know if this is the case?

Sky Knights in East Troy, Wisconsin does student jumps throughout the winter. There is a minimum temperature for students, but I forget what it is right now.

Peace,
-Jeff.

The limit for students are 20F on the ground and 0F at altitude. with my cash rate I'll be jumping periodically from now till spring... and I HATE the cold, lol.

I remember the first (and last) time I jumped in winter without gloves. Feb. in Montana. First jump on my own rig. BOC instead of student rig with ripcord. I wanted to make sure I could feel my handle. 35 degrees on the ground and 5 at altitude. I pulled high for good measure. I didn't notice my hands being cold in freefall but once under canopy it was a different story. I had brought along a throw away instamatic camera to snap some pics under canopy. My fingers got so numb I couldn't even feel the button. By the time I got down i was sure wishing I had worn gloves. I now use the same gloves in winter as I do in the summer mainly cuz I know how things feel with them. My hands are the olnly part of my body that gets cold during winter jumps but just keeping the wind off of them helps alot. It is bearable.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

35 degrees in February???? That's a friggin' heat wave:)
The worst jump in the cold dept. I ever did was my helicopter jump. It was about 3F on the ground and rode up in the R44 with no doors to 6K. Yeah, it was a little chilly. Landed on North Center City Lake. It was awesome!

Smart layers are the key.

Thin long underware rated warmest. Then a layer a fleece to keep the wind out. Then your jumpsuit.

Wool socks, tennis shoes and booties.

Fleece neck sock.

Northface Windstopper gloves.

Full face helmet.

Add a rig and you're all set to ready, set, go!!