clustermagnet

Rig Price question

as im fairly sure that container costs more than $800 bucks... not to mention 2 canopies... that he didnt give any information on (other than the main is out of date??)

if it were me, i wouldnt touch it... id think it was HOT
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

but there is no mention of canopy sizes, or jump counts...

and im still curious as to how the main is out of date?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Couple of things.......the ad is riddled with errors. "AOD ready", "out of date main", he called it a "Vector Pack Tray", and the fact that he mentioned "with rip cord pillows". And the big red flag that says he is not a skydiver is the way he spelled skydivers in the title of his ad "SKY DIVERS". So......NOT a jumper.

The guy has recently posted a snowboard and GPS as well. He does include home and cell phone numbers which appear legit. His e-mail address traces back to the same name, number, and address as a reverse telephone look up. I guess you could contact him and ask him how he acquired the rig. I did a quick seach on uspa's stolen list link and did not see anything that looked like this rig. If it is stolen you have all the contact info to give the police.

Looks like the P/C is located in the leg strap. And the lines are daisy chained...skydiver-ish.

I would agree that I think its an old timer cleaning out the closet.

I'd ask to find out what the main and reserve are. Container might still be functional for belly flying, but if you send it in to have it converted to BOC, check to see what it would cost to do the free fly mods, if that's you're fancy.

I just talked to the guy on the phone. He seemed like a nice dude. He said it was a 190 f111 main and that it was out of date, I don't know why it would be, he said it was manufactured in 94. It has a raven reserve, can't remember the size and he couldn't find the DOM on the container or the sizing info (I didn't know where to tell him to look). He said he used to jump at skydive atlanta. He told me he only payed $900.00 for the rig and that he knows that it's worth more but he's getting out of the sport as he's moved to Colorado. Thought I'd find out the skinny. Hope this helps.

i used to be a parachute rigger in the army and i started skydiving in Georgia and bought this rig from a guy that was stationed at Fort Benning with me, I dont know how many jumps it has on it, my guess is alot, I only jumped it a few times in Georgia then I moved to Alaska and stopped jumping due to hunting up there!! and now i hunt so much i am completely giving up jumping for now.......but anyways....(i know the main canopy is out of date, i cant remember the regulation for an out of date reserve) the data block pics are not very great, i could not locate a data block on the pack tray, but here is the info on both canopies:
RESERVE: Model-Raven; 185; Manufacturer PPC Feb 94 (the repack log only logged 12 repacks)
MAIN: Model-Falcon; 195; Manufacturer PPC May 94
The Pack tray is a Vector and is in great condition!! i couldnt find a data block for the pack tray anywhere on it, so I dont know about it...

anything else man just give me a call and i can give you the info if i know it.......256-577-1307

This is the return email I recieved from him.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

if i had the cash... id go for it, now knowing that its not stolen

its the size i need, and all i would have to do is get an aad and maybe a skyhook installed, then just swap canopies for some PD canopies and sell the ones that are on it... im sure someone out there wants an f111 setup

thats a good point, but $800 for a complete setup, it would be worth it for a beginner rig, even without the skyhook, as im sure a regular rsl would work, and you could put a cypres in it too

Retrofitting an RSL on an older rig might be more money and hassle then you think it is if the rig does not already have an RSL. For example on a Vector3 you need to replace the reserve ripcord, the ripcord housing and then install the new ring and RSL.

The price is not far off for a Vector 2 with a Raven reserve and a well used F111 main. Its not worth more then $1000-1200 max anymore.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Agreed, Ravens work fine as long as you load them less than one pound per square foot.
Same for Falcons.
I only have one jump on a Falcon 195, but enjoyed it.
The only disadvantage with F-111 is its short life (maybe 600 jumps) and consequent low resale value.