shropshire

U.K Skydive medical

How much do you pay your Dr for your BPA Skydive medical?

I've never paid more than a couple of quid in the past- for a signature.... now (because I'm going to be 50 this month) mine wants to see me and wants to charge me £90!! - but I'll need this annually from now on>:(

Actually, the BPA form seems to have an error in it... one part says annual and another part says the form lasts for 3 years (after 50th birthday).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

That is a great excuse to come jump in the US... No Dr. exam required. We can get away with a personal statement (unless a tandem instuructor).

C. Medical requirements [NW]

1. All persons engaging in skydiving must:

a. Carry a valid Class 1, 2, or 3 Federal Aviation Administration Medical Certificate; or

b. Carry a certificate of physical fitness for skydiving from a registered physician; or

c. Have completed the USPA recommended medical statement.

2. Any skydiver acting as parachutist in command ona tandem jump must possess an FAA Class 3 medical certificate or the equivalent.

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

My wife, who made the appointment for me, said that the Dr said that he needed to see me because I've not been there for a lot of years - "THAT'S BECAUSE I'M FUCKING HEALTHY!!!!":S - You could make this shit up[:/]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

The bit that's confusing is that there are 2 things on the same form.

1) Your self certification, valid up to 40, then valid for 2 years between 40-50 and then for 1 year over 50.

2) Doctor's certificate, not required below 40, valid for a max of 10 years between 40 and 50 and for a max of 3 years over 50.

There doesn't seem to be any going rate. I turned 40 last year and initially my doctor was going to charge me £55. After looking me over he said he couldn't take £55 off me for doing nothing and refused to charge me anything at all.

WTF :o

You may as well go and get an annual BUPA check for that.

I don't think the form says 'your doctor'. Which means you can shop around. :)
Or better yet, go and see your doctor for an annual free check up or for some nasty cough or somat.

Then a couple of weeks later, ring him up and ask for a certificate. B|

BP
:)

If you're ever down this way might be able to put you onto a sports friendly doctor.

Does annoy me that GPs charge whatever the hell they like then come 5pm on a Friday they lock their doors. Anyone would think they were on minimum wage or something!

Tony I fully sympathise with you mate I have been through the same shit with my doctor twice. who is hesitant to sign off as he doesn't want to stick his neck out.

1st time when turning 40 got charged nothing but he wanted to speak to the BPA medical advisor about certain things Ie what he was required to do and so on ?.

2nd time this year me 2 year renewal came up, at the same time the crw accident injury had healed and even though he had spoke to the medical advisor before he wanted another chat :S about re certifying me after my accident i was expecting to be sent for another cat scan but no he just wanted blood pressure and heart rate and charged me £15 this time.

I am sure i raised the point a few years back in conversation with a council member but old age fuddles my memory. Perhaps its something that you may want to take up with the new council as its a area that needs to be cleared up.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Billy, Doctor John Carter, the BPA Medicial Advisor, gave a presentation at the recent Dropzone Owners and Operators meeting and talked about some of the issues affecting the issue of medicals (such as doctor's not wanting to do they because they don't feel they are qualified because they don't know about skydiving - they don't need to, being a doctor is adequate qualification). It is hoped that the medical form can be streamlined to help alleviate issues such as these.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live