smears

Demo Problems

I was wondering if anyone else thinks this is as crazy as me. I'm the president of a college skydiving club and we're holding our 50 year reunion this summer. To kick off the reunion we're planning on making a jump on Bowman Field (a huge field on the outskirts of campus). We've jumped on the field once a year in the past years to help advertise the club. All we had to do in the past was sign out the field using the clubs name and we could use the field for free. This year, we're having to sign up for it, pay the school (the school funds us), and sign this legal document I've attached.
Has anyone else had to deal with anything like this when trying to organize a demo?

Short answer, Yes.

I got the understanding based on your post it is the Clubs event, and based on the form the school is asking the Club to pay for the rent of the field.

Maybe you can ask for a fee waiver or some thing like that as the school funds you. But the School and the field may have seperate fund source, yeah it probably all comes from the school and it may boil down to an interdepartmental transfer.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

This has nothing to do with doing a demo. It looks like a pretty standard facilities rental/use agreement. If you were having a picnic it would be the same. Of course you are having a picnic. It may be very well because your doing more than the demo. Your having a reunion. Welcome to the real world.;)

And where ever you land you have to have the permission of the land owner. The county parks here prohit parachuting.

But why are you having to pay?

quote from document "Recognized student organizations and University departments are exempt from room rental and/or space rental fees."

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I think one way to sell it and maybe save any extra costs would be to offer to carry a school flag, American flag, or something they would say wow to. The bottom line is as far as the demo goes you only need the permission of the property owner to land. Of course you will also have to deal with the FAA, DOT, and possibly local Police and EMS.
Good Luck

Okay - since everyone else seems to be missing the 300lb gorilla in this room...

Sarah - Wow. No offense but... You've got a whopping 202 jumps (if your profile is correct) under your belt, spread out over a period of 3 years in this sport, and you're looking to do a demo into a quasi-public field? Please, be careful with that.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

think one way to sell it and maybe save any extra costs would be to offer to carry a school flag, American flag, or something they would say wow to.

Hope someone in the club has got plenty more than just 200 total skydives under their belt, before they step up and offer/do that! ;)

Depending on how the demo is rated, the FAA waiver will specify what license is needed. More than likely if it is a stadium of some sort a pro rating might be requirred. HOPEFULLY, the S & TA that oversees the Demo will grab anyone by the collar who is not qualified.

Before everyone has a fit, no, my profile is not correct. I've also done about 4-5 demos, 1 being with a flag (No, I'm not jumping a flag for this demo), so this isn't my first one. One of the jumpers has over 5,000 jumps, but wants me to get the experience of organizing a demo, so I'm in charge of this one.
The landing area is not a stadium, it's an empty field, at least twice the length and width of a football field. What I was complaining about, was the fact that before, all the club had to do is reserve the field, no questions asked. This year it has changed and there is that 4 page document. What I didn't like is that I'm suppose to sign it saying I'm financially and legally responsable for everything that happens. I was just wondering if anyone else has had to sign things like that.
Plus, not that it's a big problem, but in my previous demos I've either gotten a free jump or been paid, it just seems backwards to have to pay. :S

I'm not a newbie jumping with a 3.4 wingloading asking if it's safe, so please keep the flame throwers on low. I'm just wondering if anybody has had to sign documents like this.

By now, you probably have found out that organizing a demo means filing paperwork with the FAA and securing an insurance policy for the event. Is that expense what you are referring to?

Edited to add: I had to open the document to read what it required... I see that they are charging a fee for the field, am I right?

Typically, if YOU are asking someone if you can do a demo into their place, they can request a fee if they want to. However, if THEY ask you to provide demo jump services, you can charge a fee to them.

Hope that helps. You ARE getting demo insurance right? You or the club will be footing the bill for that as well.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It is not unusual at all, to need to sign a document accepting legal and financial accountability to do a demo. What is unusual, is that you apparently, supposedly did not have to do one/sign one before! ;) As others have pointed out, it also appears, even within that document itself, that you are exempt from rental payment (or you can apply to be). However, to be required to sign a responsibilty document of some sort is certainly not unusual at all.

And BTW too - no need to be overly sensitive. I had no flamethrowers on and blasting! (trust me, when I fire up flamethrowers - you'd know it! :P) ...Just legitimate concern. As even BillVon points out - our experience has shown us even wackier things in the past. :o:) Glad to hear you've got everything there under control.

My jump #'s are public and available (and up-to-date ;)). Just click my (expanded) profile & it's all right there.

Blue Skies,
-Grant

Your not doing a demo. Your running an event (reunion) where you happen to want to jump in to open it. It's YOUR event, YOU are the customer for the demo, and YOUR event needs to cover the costs. Whether out of pocket or assuming liability. This is not about comparing this to other demos. It about what you have to do to rent a facility in the real world. I expect that you need to sign this form to hold the reunion whether you have jumpers jumping in or not.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I think the college reps suddenly realized that they need to cover their asses.

Demo insurance is not a bad idea if they are going to hold you financially responsible.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239