FFAddict

BPA IC1

Does anybody know what is happening with the BPA IC1 system?

I could be wrong but i have heard it is changing to a CH1 and JM1 system.

If i am right what will the CH1 and JM1 systems incorporate, if not what is it changing to?

And for anyone really in the know, why the change?

Yes it's changing.

Not 100% sure exactly what yet though personally. All I've know is that basically JM1 will be essentially all the briefs etc associated with the old IC1 system. CH1 should be obtained at the same time as your A license (I think) and includes basic canopy skills.

CH2, IIRC, includes extra canopy skills replacing IC1 and above - ie it requires more skills to acquire than the purely accuracy requirements of IC1. Above those you have CP1 and 2, which are prerequisites to performing any kind of speed inducing maneuver prior to landing and entry to swoop competitions respectively.

Why the changes? Cos people keep killing themselves under functioning mains. This new emphasis on canopy coaching and continued development is a welcome change.

I think the CH1 will be needed before they give you your A licence and then JM1 before they give you a B licence.
I might be wrong but I read this to mean that any body with an A licence already will still use the old system.
Untill you want to learn to swoop at least then your meant to get CH2.

JUST SPECULATION AT THIS POINT.

I think the CH1 will be needed before they give you your A licence and then JM1 before they give you a B licence.
I might be wrong but I read this to mean that any body with an A licence already will still use the old system.

JM1 and CH2 will be needed for B-licence.

CP-1 (Canopy Piloting) and 200 jumps will be needed before doing any speed inducing landing manouvres.

CP-2 will be needed before competing in swoop comps.

What I don't know is when IC1 will be replaced, or has it already hapened?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

That's not what I've been led to believe.

I was under the impression that this was to be effective from the begining of this financial year... although I've yet to go to the DZ so can't confirm this.

I certainly hope we don't have to wait another year before this comes in.

JM1 and CH2 will be needed for B-licence.

CP-1 (Canopy Piloting) and 200 jumps will be needed before doing any speed inducing landing manouvres.

CP-2 will be needed before competing in swoop comps.

What I don't know is when IC1 will be replaced, or has it already hapened?

SORRY MY BAD

I try to give my post-Cat8 students a comprehensive safety brief before they go and start finding things out the hard way. I'll be interested to see how much of this is included in the JM1 and CH1&2 qualifications.

Points I cover include, advanced canopy control, gear selection, maintenance, transportation, dealing with people in the sport, where to go for information, visiting other DZs and how to keep learning in the sport as a whole.

To be fair, the BPA are consistent in what they recomend... its the DZ's that aren't.

If DZ's wish to either ignore or better the BPA's recomendation I guess they're only recomendations. On the other hand the BPA can't make DZ's accept a lower requirement if the DZ wants to be more stringent.

How about blue skys - we could do with a few more of them. ;)