johnrss

flying a camera ????????

Everyone I seem to speak to about jumping with a cam say that you need 200+ jumps etc but say you wanna just jump with a glove cam and film yourself, is it really necessary to have so many jumps? will a DZO not let you use one even for yourself?

just to clarify i have just finished AFF

hand cam..... for a recent AFF grad?????

silly idea...

you have waaaay too many OTHER , more important things to concentrate on...

like proper body position,
altitude awareness, location relative to "the spot" awareness,
other people in the air with you awareness
and of course, safely flying yourself to a landing, awareness...

mix a camera into that and it can sometimes equal ONE thing.... = distraction !!!

all things in good time.
Certainly ask around for a capable and enthusiastic video person who can get some air to air shots, for you... they will be better, will not put you or others in jeopardy, and allow you the goal of video footage of yourself, while skydiving.

have fun

jmy

It would be a big mistake to do what you propose. At your experience level adding a camera would be very dangerous and distracting. Your initial post tells me you are not taking skydiving seriously enough. This sport can kill you if you aren't paying attention. Work on your freefall skills and canopy skills before ever thinking of adding a camera.

Is this a bad idea mainly for video? And is the 200 jump rule intended for video as well? I ask because I think around 100 or so jumps, I went up with just a disposable still camera. I had it secured in a zipper pocket. I pulled high as the last one out, and just flew around taking some aerial shots of the DZ, the scenery, and myself under canopy.

I asked my DZO about it, he asked me what I was planning to, and then just said 'Yeah, but don't fuck up.

Maybe that was crazy.:o

PULL!! or DIE!!

Is this a bad idea mainly for video? And is the 200 jump rule intended for video as well? I ask because I think around 100 or so jumps, I went up with just a disposable still camera. I had it secured in a zipper pocket. I pulled high as the last one out, and just flew around taking some aerial shots of the DZ, the scenery, and myself under canopy.

There is a HUGE difference between taking a few still with a handheld camera under canopy, and having a camera attached to your body, and using while in freefall.

For the record, going out last and pulling high are the things that made your jump 'acceptable'. Even what you were doing would provide significant distraction under canopy, and if you weren't alone in the sky, it would have been a VERY bad idea. Even so, you have to be aware of the spot, as you could easily drift too far away from the DZ to make it back. Now you are faced with an off-field landing for no good reason.

Having a running video camera in freefall has proven on many occasions to be distraction enough to cause jumpers to go low, or caused freefall collisions due to camera fixation. It's a bad idea for newer jumpers, and to be honest, it's abad idea for a good number of experinced jumpers to get involved with cameras. Not everyone is cut out for the increased workload.

Hand cam requires waaay more brain cells than a helmet-mounted camera.

Most junior jumpers have barely enough brain cells to keep themselves alive.
Adding the distraction of a camera just decreases life expectancy.
Saving your own life has to become second-nature before adding any new equipment.
Wait until you are bored/think you know it all/have a few brain cells left over at the end of a dive before trying camera.
Then as a local vidiographer to help you select equipment and teach you the basics.

Just yesterday I enjoyed some foot-cam footage by one of my fellow jumpers. He just wanted the unique perspective and angle of himself during a 2-way freefly jump. After they separated, he wanted some extra shots of himself....

He was saddled ~500ft. No AAD, 3,000+ jumps, 1,000+Camera jumps.... these things hppen!

Cameras create distractions.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

I did the same thing with a video camera on a jump in my thrities... had gotten my A that summer (07) and right at the end of the year i really wanted to have another video to add to my fist jump video..

Went out last, pulled high, stayed in breaks, and took the camera (very small one) out from my jumpsuit and recorded everything while doing small rear riser turns to get a 360 view on camera.

Of course I planned it all first and got the okay from my instructors first. Personally this was enough to satisfy the "i want to fly camera" itch for quiet a while... it's just starting to rear up again now.. which will be okay soon enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZpGHsh6EGQ
--
http://www.SkydiveBlog.com

I have over 1700 jumps. 1000 with camera. I am also an AFF Instructor, and a Tandem Instructor with 500 tandems. I did not add a handcam on my hand as a TI until I had over 150 tandems. I recently started flying a wingsuit. While, with my experience I can handle a suit a little more advanced than other "newbies" I will not add a camera until I have at least 100 - 150 wingsuit jumps. It pays to be patient. The sky is always there.

Be patient ... be smart!

steveOrino