Chris-Ottawa

Da Vinci tattoo, who's got it?

Hey everyone,

I'm officially hooked on skydiving and figured I'd get something to signify my addiction. I want t get a tattoo and I've looked at the forums and saw a couple and messaged a few people about thiers as well.

I was wondering, does anyone have pictures of their da Vinci quote tattoo?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk
the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you
have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

I'm not sure I want to get such a big tattoo for my first tattoo, but that quote represents so much of my life now. I'm also toying with the idea of closing pins as the quotation marks for the quote, or just a pin above and below the quote.

Any ideas, please share.

Thank you

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Any ideas, please share.

Thank you

Chris

Sure.....don't get one unless its done by a Canadian tattoo artist, using Canadian tattoo ink, and written with a Canadian made tattoo pen and needle. >:(

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

Hey,

I respect that you think it takes time to "earn" a tattoo like this, but this isn't solely about skydiving for me. Aviation in general has been part of my life since I can remember. Yes, I may only have 2 years "skydiving" experience, but I have at least another 13 or so outside of skydiving. Ever since I was 5 years old, I have thought about flight. I jumped off tree stumps with garbage bags and bedsheets, jumping off the roof in winter doing flips into the snow etc...

And...even if I do quit jumping, I will not be embarrassed about it one bit. Skydiving has only allowed me to experience what I've grown up dreaming of...flying.

So if you think I don't deserve it, so be it. It's what matters to me..not anyone else, but I do respect your opinion at the same time.

Thanks

Chris

Sure.....don't get one unless its done by a Canadian tattoo artist, using Canadian tattoo ink, and written with a Canadian made tattoo pen and needle. >:(

Go on?? I'm not sure if that's a joke or if you're trying to slam me? I am in Canada, I'm sure most of the stuff will be from Canada. I think I'm missing something here?

Thanks

Hey,

I respect that you think it takes time to "earn" a tattoo like this, but this isn't solely about skydiving for me. Aviation in general has been part of my life since I can remember. Yes, I may only have 2 years "skydiving" experience, but I have at least another 13 or so outside of skydiving. Ever since I was 5 years old, I have thought about flight. I jumped off tree stumps with garbage bags and bedsheets, jumping off the roof in winter doing flips into the snow etc...

And...even if I do quit jumping, I will not be embarrassed about it one bit. Skydiving has only allowed me to experience what I've grown up dreaming of...flying.

So if you think I don't deserve it, so be it. It's what matters to me..not anyone else, but I do respect your opinion at the same time.

Thanks

Chris

Not a slam at all! :)

It's your canvas, put whatever is significant to you, that you want, on it ! B|:)
As someone posted above though, THINK BEFORE YOU INK! ;)

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

I was wondering, does anyone have pictures of their da Vinci quote tattoo?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk
the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you
have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

I'm not sure I want to get such a big tattoo for my first tattoo, but that quote represents so much of my life now. I'm also toying with the idea of closing pins as the quotation marks for the quote, or just a pin above and below the quote.

Any ideas, please share.

I have ink but no skydive ink. Those sound like good ideas to me. Best bet is probably to continue with the search. I am sure the above posts from the "SKY GODS" are just what you were looking for.:S
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

I am sure the above posts from the "SKY GODS" are just what you were looking for.

Well, I'm obviously no "SKY GOD" as you put it, but what I get from the comments so far is basically a suggestion to wait and be sure it's something you really want.

Sounds like there are times (linked thread) that someone fairly new and full of exuberance got some ink that later down the road wasn't as "important" to them, as it might have seemed at the time.

Kind of like the guy I know with his HIGH SCHOOL football mascot tat on his shoulder.
Might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but 25 years later, looks pretty stupid. :S

And let's be real, there are tattoos and then there are TATTOOS. :o

Some are tasteful and well done with obvious meaning to the wearer. B|

And SOME are just some a blatant display of a sad attempt by the wearer to proclaim to the world how COOL he or she is.(or think it makes them)

I mean come on 'SwatCop', I'm sure that you have met people that try to advertise how cool they are in case someone that doesn't KNOW them, misses it! ;)

~ "Pack Fast, Pull Low... and Date Your Riggers WIFE!" ~

FYI, I don't think there's any proof that Da Vinci ever said/wrote that quote. It's a nice quote, but I'm pretty sure the "experts" don't believe it came from him. Don't remember where I read that... it was a while ago, but I think I was trying to find the exact wording (which is different depending on where you look).

Dave

I thought the real quote was about absinthe...

Once you have tasted absynthe your eyes will be turned toward the gutter, because it is there you have come from, and there where you will long to return. :D:D

Are you going to be at CPI tommarow Dave?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Once you have tasted absynthe your eyes will be turned toward the gutter, because it is there you have come from, and there where you will long to return.

Hahah, Nice.....

As a new jumper with 55 jumps, you do realize that those landing/flaring bruises are called "temporary skydiving tatoos"?

And this...I'm very proud to say...whether I have earned them or not, I have never "opted" to get these "temporary" tattoos. I'm happy to say I have never botched a landing...yet. (*Knock on wood)

I fully understand what everyone is saying. I haven't committed to anything just yet. I also like the quote because it's not strictly skydiving. I'm not prepared to get a giant RW team across my back or anything. Honestly, I don't think I would ever do that because in 20 years when I may or may not be skydiving...I may feel embarassed about having it.

Dave,
I have actually heard that before. Some of the other threads discussed it, but there was no concrete evidence that it was or wasn't said by him. Either way, still such a great quote.

I appreciate all input/criticism/advice...really!

Chris

Kind of like the guy I know with his HIGH SCHOOL football mascot tat on his shoulder.
Might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but 25 years later, looks pretty stupid.

And let's be real, there are tattoos and then there are TATTOOS.

Some are tasteful and well done with obvious meaning to the wearer.

And SOME are just some a blatant display of a sad attempt by the wearer to proclaim to the world how COOL he or she is.(or think it makes them)

I mean come on 'SwatCop', I'm sure that you have met people that try to advertise how cool they are in case someone that doesn't KNOW them, misses it!

Yep, thats your .02 [:/]
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

I thought the real quote was about absinthe...

Once you have tasted absynthe your eyes will be turned toward the gutter, because it is there you have come from, and there where you will long to return. :D:D

Are you going to be at CPI tommarow Dave?

Good one!:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Just coming from the perspective of someone with a few tattoos, I think that might be a little overkill on the script. It's a great quote, but I don't know how it would work as a tattoo.

Unless the script is REALLY small, which then might make it look like shit or a big blob, this tattoo is going to have to be pretty large dude. That's a lot of words to tattoo.

If you aren't looking for a large tattoo, I'd suggest coming up with some other ideas. You could always consult with some tattoo artists in your area to get their opinion, but I have a feeling they will agree.

I have thought about getting a tattoo made of main pins (1 for every hundred jumps).

I've thought of doing something similar... but instead of one for every hundred jumps, I'd do one for each friend I've lost to this sport.

Unfortunately that list will keep getting longer even if I never jump again.

I'm new too and when i got my A license i went and got my tattoo it's on my forearm and i'm pround of it and that's my reason to have it there so everybody can see it and it will never change the fact that if i stop jumping that i was doing it.

I agree with you and I think its great one can get tattoos on ones body without using punctuation because its cool and it rocks and bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie the beat.:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I'm new too and when i got my A license i went and got my tattoo it's on my forearm and i'm pround of it and that's my reason to have it there so everybody can see it and it will never change the fact that if i stop jumping that i was doing it.

That came out nice! The tattoo that is..