gravityBad

Observations of a newb

man, 3 jumps and u're quite the expert, i wish i was that good.. :|

It looks like it's not his first hobby ... and 3 jumps says nothing about the person who made them!

yea, i forgot, he's riding bikes. yea, that makes sense.. and he's shown us what kind of guy he is too, already.. i'm well impressed!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

It looks like it's not his first hobby ... and 3 jumps says nothing about the person who made them!

yea, i forgot, he's riding bikes. yea, that makes sense.. and he's shown us what kind of guy he is too, already.. i'm well impressed!

skydivers aren't quite as special as you think they are. There are a lot of expensive hobbies out there, and a lot of expensive ones.

skydivers aren't quite as special as you think they are. There are a lot of expensive hobbies out there, and a lot of expensive ones.

A decent quality shinken (Japanese sword) can cost well over 5000.00. For a GOOD one... well into 10,000.00. A menkyo from a reputable martial arts school can cost up to $300 per rank + the cost of instruction and your personal time. A liscensed weekend seminar can cost well over $1000.00 for 2 days... A trip to Japan can be REDICULOUSLY expensive. The same goes for many, many, many other "hobbies."

The big difference is if it's just a hobby you won't spend a lot of money on it because it's just something to do... It's stops being a hobby when you start sacrificing for it... Doesn't matter if it's stamp collecting or sky diving (I bet I could spend 1,000,000.00 on stamps if it was an obsession).

i dont know where we've missed each other, he's done 3 jumps, asks basic questions about jumpsuits, yet he's giving his expert opinion on stuff. never have i said we're special or something. and riding a motorcycle is NOT skydiving anyway..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i dont know where we've missed each other, he's done 3 jumps, asks basic questions about jumpsuits, yet he's giving his expert opinion on stuff. never have i said we're special or something. and riding a motorcycle is NOT skydiving anyway..

Chill out my freeflailing friend ;)

Results gained in the past are no guarantee against the future.

I missed all the riots about Shah and when I looked at his post I saw him referencing motorbikes because they cost a lot too - and because he DOES have experience riding.

He offered the opinion that spending money on an expensive hobby is better than spending it on trivia.
At least, I read it that way and I agree.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I was just saying all hobbies are expensive!
Heck skiing is expensive now a days!
An all day lift ticket can set you back well over $100!
And if you want to eat...well that's another $50
And don't even talk about a nice warm jacket, gloves and pants and ski equipment.
You can easily drop $400 for a pair of boots!

Hobbies are expensive, this one has a higher than average price curve to get in. $1,600 for certification and another let's say $3,000 for equipment. But then what...average jump cost is $20? That's not bad!

All I was saying is that hobbies are expensive, especially fun ones...unless you call gardening fun. And I personally feel it's well worth the cost. Now if you wish to discourage others from joining the sport...well hay that's your gig...I on the other hand....I like people!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

WOW! As a newcomer to skydiving also, I posted a simple observation and certainly didn't get the impression that any one response was elitist. I interpreted shah269's response, regardless of his skydiving aptitude, as rather benign and surely seems to be a generic statement which applies to the choices we all make pursuing any hobby/sport. Unfortunately, it seems like the DROPZONE forum can become just like any other...feeling the need to post something negative as opposed to just not wasting their time with a reply. I guess I missed whatever put someone’s panties in a wad.

I will say that this forum is a breath of fresh air compared to many other hobby/sport forums I regularly frequent.

I will say that this forum is a breath of fresh air compared to many other hobby/sport forums I regularly frequent.

The bike ones tend to have way more T&A :P
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

You can always do what I did for jumps.. I own a webdesign company and traded a lifetime of marketing/web work for a lifetime of jumping at my DZ.. aff paid for.. almost thru it now.. rig payed for.. just had to put in a lil hard work and a helping hand
www.apt3studios.com
www.musicpromotiononline.com
www.internetcafegaming.com
D.S. # 4321

In my last life I was a weapons systems engineer.....I don't think my DZ is allowed by federal law to have what I can design.
Though.....it would be cool!

In my current life I'm a technology manager, think of me as Uncle Sams venture capitalist, but I doubt that would pan out either for my local DZ.

Yeah it's expensive, but....I figure once I'm certified I can afford to spend one week end per month at the DZ. Which is about how much I would have spent if I had bought a track bike and had gone racing.

It's all a wash in the end.

In my last life I was a weapons systems engineer.....I don't think my DZ is allowed by federal law to have what I can design.
Though.....it would be cool!

There we go, outfit those 182's with some sky clearing ordinance.... free up the airspace for some skydivers!
www.apt3studios.com
www.musicpromotiononline.com
www.internetcafegaming.com
D.S. # 4321