IMALSUTIGERFAN

Leg Straps are killing me

Hi Tiger,
Too tight per the above could be the problem?? Also, Where ya' opening at?? If yer up in the stratosphere, long canopy rides can be a bitch! What kind of harness do you have?? Double wide T/VII with a cushy pad should be about the best. Single wide webbing and a thin pad can be really uncomfortable!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

It could be the rig. I had new leg straps put on my rig when I got it and it's never bothered me. On other rigs I've jumped, a few times it did hurt a little bit.

I've undertightened and over tightened' leg straps and can't tell the difference.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Hi Tiger,Too tight per the above could be the problem??  Also, Where ya' opening at??  If yer up in the stratosphere, long canopy rides can be a bitch!  What kind of harness do you have??  Double wide T/VII with a cushy pad should be about the best.  Single wide webbing and a thin pad can be really uncomfortable!!

I was wondering if over tighting the straps were doing it, and the harness is a single wide webb with little padding. We are opening pulling at 5500 so the ride is not that long but it does become very painful. Been thinking of stealing my high school sons catchers under shorts (they have padding on the inside of the thighs for missed balls) to help pad that area.

Had the same problem buddy. this is what helped me. I was flying the canopy with a very straight body, i was straight down my back and down my legs if u get me. What i did was reach down behind my bum and pull the straps down the back of your legs a few inches towards your knees. then sit back in the harness kind of like you are sitting in a chair. this takes the pressure off your groin and to the straps behind your legs. This made it so much less painful for me. hope this helps you out.

I did the same thing mrbiceps explained while a student.

Another thing that helped was crossing my feet and bringing them up.

Don't worry, once you get your own rig, it will improve dramatically. My Mirage rig got rid of the pain 100%.
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

I posted this in another thread recently,

if the opening shock is severe, then FIX IT! you will feel everyone of those openings in a few years and the pain will then never go away.

If you cannot get the openings fixed, then change the gear. Spectre with Dacron lines, I recommend.

....... bring your knees down once you deploy. You should be in a full sitting upright position when the parachute hits line stretch and the first bit of opening shock. It prevents the whiplash, and all of the opening shock is taken thru vertical compression of the spine (which your spine is designed to take), and using you thighs as the shock absorbers.

learn to do that regardless of whatever parachute you are jumping, your spine will thank you in many years.

I did the same thing mrbiceps explained while a student.

Another thing that helped was crossing my feet and bringing them up.

Don't worry, once you get your own rig, it will improve dramatically. My Mirage rig got rid of the pain 100%.

+1

When I was jumping the student rigfor the first jumps, my legs were BRUISED! The second time Ijumped it was much much better, and since I got my own rig, even more comfortable! :)
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---