Marcous_Van_BC

How much should a Class A licence cost to acquire?

**Initial prices were wrong. I have fixed them in this posting and lower down as well**

Im from vancouver, and to get a class A licence at my local drop zone requires the following, and im just wondering if this cost is high, low or average. Thank you for your input!

2x tandem jumps before you can begin your "aff (advance free fall) level one training" = $ 259.00 x 2 = $518.

1 x AFF level one course - one day instruction + one drop (with 2 instructors) = $449

1 x AFF level two course - half day course + one drop (with 2 instructors) = $449

1x AFF level 3 course - half day course with one instructor + one jump = $409

1 x AFF level 4 course - half day with one instructor + one jump = ~$409

25 x drops total (at this point the student already has 6 jumps) requires an additional 21 jumps.

$169 per jump for novice with coach and equipment

$109 for student solo free fall

$55 for gear rental

$45 CAPS member

I dont know if theres a licencing fee on top of this.

**Initial prices were wrong. I have fixed them in this posting and lower down as well**

Well most of those prices seem way too high.

As far as I know tandem jumps are NOT required for AFF first jump course but even if they were my local DZ has them for $209 (full rate) and first jump course is 299 (minus $30 discount card from tandem jump if you did one)
~Bones Knit, blood clots, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars.~

where are you located, and what is the name of the drop zone which you have used with those prices? What my intent is, is to get certified within one or two weeks. If i have to travel to save a few hundred dollars, then i think its worth it. Thank you for your time and information!

Anyone with any other comments, please contribute to this conversation. I am new to the sport, and very much would like to not get gouged when it comes to training.

Thank you again.

My dropzone also does not offer static. I suppose that would be a good way to gain jump experiance necessary for your class A.

What are the usual requirements to earn your class A licence?

do you need to take AFF courses? (eg. level 1-4) or what? Is there mandatory classroom usually? (Eg. groundschool) ??? I just want to be properly certified before paying large amounts of money.

thanky ou again.

Im in Southern California. My dropzone is elsinore. But i think their prices are fairly standard for the major US Dz's

I believe they offer the whole course to level A for $3000

Is that a fairly resonable price?? I suppose I'd have to pay with the canadian dollar... which would increase the cost...

Anyone with any other comments, please contribute to this conversation. I am new to the sport, and very much would like to not get gouged when it comes to training.

What dz do you plan to do the majority of your jumping at once you get a license? Even if it costs a couple hundred dollars more, it might be worth considering doing your student jumps at the dz closest to you for a few reasons.

First, spending your money at the local dz might help that dz remain in existence. Which is good for you if you want the local dz to be there two years from now. Second, doing your student jumps at the dz you hope to jump at will allow you to get to know the people you hope to jump with later. Third, how much will it cost you for travel and lodging if you jump at another dz further from home?

Those prices seem really high, especially the solo jumps. Why are they charging 109$ per jump after AFF? Also, isn't AFF 7 jumps long? Also you need 25 jumps for an A license so your missing 5 jumps somewhere.

I did the 7 AFF jumps and then did solo jumps for the same price as a normal jump ticket except I was on student status. of course there is gear rental...but that doesn't add up to 110 a jump. Id look around some more before you commit.

I am of course assuming you are trying to get a USPA A license.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

Why not just go south a little to Skydive Snohomish. Their website shows Tandem and Static Line progression. DZ.com reviews here show AFF but their website doesn't. Rates are on their website too. It looks like it's only a couple hours from Vancouver and cheaper than $4k even with a 1.15 conversion rate.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

Just a few things to consider-

Many of the replies so far are not taking into account that you're talking about Can dollars.

Some DZs do not require any tandems before starting AFF.

One thing I don't understand is how AFF 1 and 2 cost the same. AFF 1 includes an entire day of ground shcool and a jump with two instructors, while AFF 2 requires only a ground review and training for the freefall part. AFF 2 is usually 25 to 30% less than AFF 1.

There is merit to the idea of doing your training locally. It's nice to support your local DZ, where you'll be fun jumping, and it also helps you to establish some 'roots' there as well.

Another thing to keep in mind before you travel for a week to train is what happens if you don't like it? Or the weather doesn't cooperate?

Training locally allows you to move at your own pace with no pressure from your schedule.

What sort of facilities does the DZ offer? A few extra bucks to jump from a turbine airplane is well worth it. A DZ with just a Cessna will have you jumping from a lower altitude, and sometimes waiting longer to get on the plane. A Cessna 182 holds 4 jumpers, while a Caravan will hold 14.

Last of all, let's be real here, shopping price in terms of skydiving training might not be the best idea. Visit prospective DZs, see the airplanes, the equipment, speak to the management, and feel the place out. Cheaper is rarely better in terms of skydiving anything.

you definitely need to do some shopping around. luckily the place i did my tandem jump had the best price around, plus it is highly recommended. check out the link popsjumper posted cause the farm offers an a license package for 1800 us dollars. you might not be able to find something that cheap up north, but even traveling a couple hundred miles and camping for a few days while jumping would be cheaper. thats what im going to do starting this weekend.

good luck
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

i did my AFF in switzerland, and paid considerably less for some of the things mentioned.. i think an AFF first jump costs less than 500$. and that includes groundschool!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i did my AFF in switzerland, and paid considerably less for some of the things mentioned.. i think an AFF first jump costs less than 500$. and that includes groundschool!

actually at your DZ it's CHF490 = CAD526 :P
he is quoting Canadian Dollars....
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

actually at your DZ it's CHF490 = CAD526 :P
he is quoting Canadian Dollars....

being anal again!? :P

anyway, switzerland is EXPENSIVE, but the prices quoted are fucking ridicilous!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

So AFF at your dz costs around $4500CDN ??? Wow that's fucking crazy. At my dz in wisconsin our whole student program costs around $2500USD which is like $2800CDN.

No way man. You're talking about saving thousands of dollars doing a course somewhere else.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

So AFF at your dz costs around $4500CDN ??? Wow that's fucking crazy. At my dz in wisconsin our whole student program costs around $2500USD which is like $2800CDN.

No way man. You're talking about saving thousands of dollars doing a course somewhere else.

Yes thats correct, its sounded very expensive to me as well... but i love the sport, so i had to certainly shop around before I put in a lot of money. I suppose a little background about me might be in order here. i just turned 23, and my gf took my gf took us both tandem jumping for my birthday. I loved it! Deopending on if you prebook or not, tandem costs 243$CAD if you prebok taxes included, or 280~ish, if you 'drop in'. I loved it, so i began to look around to see what a class a licence would cost. at their site you do your aff 1-4 for around 1800$ plus taxes, (4 jumps and groundschool) before you do that you needed 2 tandem though. i though thtis might be a little pricy, so i wanted to look around. I'm sure glad that i did though because it sounds like for less money some places offer up to eight jumps for the same price , not including the 2 required tandem. so essentially i've discovered at other locations its half as much. I still very much appreciate your comments. Please keep them coming! My dad is a pilot for air canada actually, so for me to travel its not really too expensive, its all about finding the time. Did i mention im from vancouver canada? (thats in bc) Thanks again everyone!

the dropzone that im talking about is the one here in vancouver the website is : http://www.vancouver-skydiving.bc.ca/index.html

I Must say that their service, and how they run things is amazing. They have their own airstrip, landing zone, and their own planes - of which 10 people can fit in the back.

I was amazed by their service, however i suppose from what everyone is telling me, its rather pricy.

I was amazed by their service, however i suppose from what everyone is telling me, its rather pricy.

Canada is going to cost more than the U.S. because fuel prices are generally higher (I assume that's the primary driver of the higher costs). You'll have to do the math as to whether adding on travel costs will still work out in your favor. Also, you'll want to make sure you understand the differences between CSPA and USPA licensure requirements and know which path you want to follow towards licenses - you may find Canadian dropzones that only follow CSPA's path or ones that offer both.

You may want to look at other DZs in the Vancouver area, or, as others have suggested, possibly those in Washington (Skydive Snohomish north of Seattle will be your closest, with Kapowsin Air Sports farther south, on the other side of Seattle).

CSPA may have a listing of dropzones, and there's a listing on here (though the listings aren't always up-to-date, it may help you identify other options to look at in BC):
http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/North_America/Canada/British_Columbia/index.html

If you do start contacting dropzones, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Figure out how much it will cost to get licensed, not just "graduate AFF" or "reach solo status." Are the gear rental costs baked into the cost of the training jump, or is it extra? Do you have to pay for a packing class? How much does it cost to repeat a jump?

Also, there are different training methods (AFF/Static Line/IAD), all of which can get you licensed, just in a different manner.
http://www.dropzone.com/content/Detailed/519.html
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke