f1racer696

buying a rig from the Classifieds

so i am in the process of buying my first rig from the classifieds on this sight and i just have a few concerns.

so the plan was that i was gonna send him a money order for the full amount and then he was gonna send me the rig once he received that. but i dont wanna get scammed on that much money which you can never tell about...

what can i do, or what is the usual process of buying a used rig. do i ask them to send me the rig first? or send them half the money, then the other half once i receive it? or what?

oh dude DUde DUDE BRO DUDE. omg DUDE! ummmmm. i forgot....

Dudeist Skydiver #61

link your credit card up to a paypal account that way you are covered if it doesnt show up. Or use an escrow agent.

so i have a paypal account but i have never sent money using it but i know how.
so if i sent the money via paypal and the rig doesnt show up. i am able to get my money back?

Dudeist Skydiver #61

Yes, Paypal will refund your money if the rig doesn't show up, but their are many variables to think about.

A few are, if the rig is delivered to your front door and someone steals it, it is/was considered "delivered". Always make packages so that you have to sign for them.

Or you get the rig and it's not what you thought it was, then it becomes more complicated getting paypal involved and proving that you are in the right. Paypal usually sides with the buyer, but you are still taking a chance.

Save yourself some headaches, go to the dropzone and talk to a rigger about doing an escrow, even if it costs you a few bucks (maybe not for the escrow, but the inspection), if it turns out the rig was not what was advertised, your not out your $. If it's all good, you were going to get it inspected anyways right? So, no loss.

Your gambling if you send the $ first, in a case where there is no need to do so. Especially with a potential 1500-4500 (or more) on the line.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

thanks thats a lot of help. our agreement was that if i get the rig and it doesnt fit right or something then i can send it back and he will refund me.

now about sending it to a rigger. should i have him bring it to his local DZ to have it inspected and shipped? or should i have him send it to my local DZ and do it that way?

and yes i was planning on having it inspected for sure.

Dudeist Skydiver #61

I would have him send it to my local DZ and do it that way. Give a contact # for your DZ/ rigger to the seller and a shipping address. The seller can call the rigger and confirm everything (i.e. get a warm and fuzzy).

Once your rigger gets the rig and inspects it, says everything is good, you send the check/MO/Paypal to the seller. Once the seller has the money in his account, he calls your rigger and then the rigger will release the rig to you.

Work out something before hand if you have to return the rig for whatever reason. I would usually pay the return shipping/insurance. You guys make that call.

You can also email the rig/canopy manufactures to see if they have been sent in for service bulletins or repair work easily. As always, check the stolen gear section.

Have the seller write up a small bill of sale as well as document the contents of the package being shipped, is also helpful.

Some sellers are better than others (some are AWESOME on DZ.com), be professional, timely, and COMMUNICATE everything and talk on the phone if possible.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

if the seller will not agree to use a known rigger as an escrow agent than steer clear of that sale.

not only do you NEED it inspected, an objective 3rd party professional should ALWAYS be involved in the purchase of any large, used item (e.g. car, boat, house, rig, etc)

sure it will cost u a few bucks but so does auto insurance

good luck
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

I am the seller of the gear in discussion. After checking the information that the buyer has given me and talking to the buyer via phone call and Facebook I feel confident enough to send the rig to him without receiving the money first. I would have done this through the riggers, but my DZ is only open on the weekends and the rigger is very busy. I know that I am taking a big chance here, but I am confident enough that everything will work out.

And you should have. Sending a rig without payment in SOMEBODY's hands is flipping a coin. I don't do it much but I've acted as third party and used a third party to sell a rig this year.

A lot of people know me from PIA even though I'm not in the business full time. And the third party I sent a rig to was staff at USPA.

Terms need to spelled out. Acceptable reasons for return? Not my colors? Probably not, you know that ahead of time. Doesn't fit? Yep, safety issue. Not what you said it was? Yep although some of it may be opinion? Etc.

Demo jumps allowed? If so and stuff damaged or loss who pays?

Shipping and return shipping and rigger fees?

All of this to work out ahead of time.

And I have gotten gear sent to me without payment for examination, but don't expect it.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE