Steveanders86

Is it legal

Is it legal for a licensed parachutist to jump from a friends plane (pilot is a licensed pilot)? what are the legalities of something like this? can you only do that kind of thing in rural areas? at all? In town? someone asked me this and I didnt know what to tell them, so i thought i'd ask my new friends at DZ.com! :)

The SIM is a big document. The following part of the SIM addresses your question:

http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section7/tabid/170/Default.aspx#71n

While demo jumps are the main topic of this chapter, if you read closely (and folllow the embeded links) you will note that much of this applies to NON-demo jumps off the DZ too.

Regarding general skydiving info for students:

Rather than being overwhelmed by the huge quantity of info in the SIM, as a student you will probably be smart to start with Section 4: USPA Integrated Student Program

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Short answer, in uncontroled airspace all you need is the landowners permission and to contact Air Traffic Control pryor to the jump. It is a good idea to call them ahead of time so they know where to expect you and also file a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) to let other pilots know what you are planning.

I'll refrain from the safety speach. Don't kill yourself.
Very soon, an honest person will not be able to sing the last 2 lines of our National Anthem:::Practice safe dining....use condiments

Short answer, in uncontroled airspace all you need is the landowners permission and to contact Air Traffic Control pryor to the jump. It is a good idea to call them ahead of time so they know where to expect you and also file a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) to let other pilots know what you are planning.

I'll refrain from the safety speach. Don't kill yourself.

You have just given advice based on an ideal situation. It certainly doesn't apply everywhere.

Oddly, you -could- do some fairly "interesting" things on a pop-up in the exact right places and literally nobody would be in a legal position to bitch about it (at least you could before 9/11), but . . . I digress.

What the kid really needs to do is learn a bit about airspace and who owns what land, but I don't think he really is looking for that kind of answer.

The REAL answer is "No Bobby. I can't jump into the company picnic or fly the flag down to your Little League game in the park." My guess is that's really where this is going.

I also think he probably would want to have his friend check with his CFI about the legalities of flying jumpers for one or another reason. In some cases, it might be perfectly legal and in others not. Not only are there a couple of things that can go wrong on his side just from a flying perspective, he could also be putting his friend's pilot certificates in jeopardy if somebody gets a wild hair up their ass at the FSDO.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Is it legal for a licensed parachutist to jump from a friends plane (pilot is a licensed pilot)? what are the legalities of something like this? can you only do that kind of thing in rural areas? at all? In town? someone asked me this and I didnt know what to tell them, so i thought i'd ask my new friends at DZ.com! :)

stuff like this has been done many times with no problem, and many times with tragic results - please talk to somebody that knows what they are doing, I wish I had - been-there-done-that-almost died
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Very soon, an honest person will not be able to sing the last 2 lines of our National Anthem

You do realize that those last two lines are and always have been a question; yes?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

They call them "Bandit Jumps".

Search that and you'll get a lot of info.

The last time that was asked is HERE

You seem to be asking the question because someone else asked you.
I hope I don't have to tell you that you are nowhere near being able to do one.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo