pojj

too much

All depends on how well you fly that student 200. If you are having problems with creating a good consistent landing pattern, landing accurately and standing up the landing, then you may want to stick with the bigger canopy. Like the other guy said though, your instructor will know what you can handle, he/she has seen you progress.

With that said, I went from a student rig with a Skymaster 200 in it to a Spectre 170 with an exit weight of 177. It all depends on how you fly the bigger one.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

Lots of factors to consider - not just exit weight/wingloading..

Best ask the instructor(s) who have seen you jump. If no one has been paying attention to your canopy flying, ask someone (preferably an instructor) to watch out for you on a couple of jumps. Become very familiar with handling the canopies you are currently flying - instructors (or indeed your SIM) can give great tips on how to do this.

Think about it seriously before buying your first rig. If possible, try a 170 before you decide to get one.

Get advice from a lot of people before you make an informed decision.

I'm a small jumper and I got some pretty bad advice from some pretty experienced people.. Everyone I talked to said a 135 would be fine for me, especially something relatively docile like a Sabre. Well, given for me a 135 isn't even a 1:1 wing-loading, I thought this made sense, but CAREFUL.. Nobody told me that when you go from a 150 to a 135, the lines are quite a lot shorter, making the canopy *noticeably* more responsive. A lot of people don't realise that there is a bigger jump in performance between a 135 vs 150 than there is between a 150 vs 170.

I did get a 135 and had several terrible landings - it was SOO much faster than I thought it would be and I really didn't have the skills for it at the time. I did the responsible thing and really made a point to learn to fly it, bu if I'm 100% honest, I was lucky I didn't injure myself in those days..

I still jump the same canopy now (6 years on) and it's MORE than satisfying for me!! It's a great size/responsiveness for my skill level and still tons of fun. Plus if I stay away from the sport for a while (which I have now and again) I come back to it and it's not too much for me.

Ask lots of people and look up the articles on here - lots of great stuff written on there. Just don't get overexcited & get yourself hurt..
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Hey pojj, you still haven't answered how much you weigh. Students and novice A-License jumpers shouldn't exceed a 1.1:1 ratio. That's 1.1 pounds exit weight (you + all of your gear including the parachute itself) divided by the square footage of your main.
If you weigh more than 187 pounds, or 85 kilograms, with all your gear on you should get a bigger chute.