aerialcameraman

golden knight question

Has any knight had a cutaway during a demo that was not part of the show? I think of all the times I have seen them never have I seen it happen other than the performed one. And also has anyone seen the special on discovery about the halo school and is there one out there about the knights? If not I thought it would be kind of cool to see that.

I dont think Ive ever seen them have an unintentional cutaway, and I have gone thru a bunch of videos on youtube.

Hopefully I will be there next week for tryouts!! B|

I hear, through unofficial lines, they may be making a special about GK selection... I heard something about making it into a reality show... hopefully its not true...

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Man I don't think a reality show is funny! I'm serious something like they did with the halo doc. Go through the whole selection process. Showing it all the PT all the jumps right up till you are selected. I think it would be interesting. I loved the halo doc and thought it would be nice to see one about the nights

Yeah, I share your feeling on reality shows... Nothing will make me change the channel quicker!

Unless its that video of the road rules challenge where the girl biffed the landing because she OBVIOUSLY shouldnt have been jumping and didnt flare when the instructor gave her the command on the radio.

If they do a video of my selection, I would hope its the documentary not the reality...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm an 82nd vet if they turn GK tryouts into a reality show i'll turn in my wings

I hear ya on that man...and the bigest GK insident ive heard about is when the 2 men colid when there tracking paths, killed one man and messed u the other one bad.

the incident to which you refer was a training jump in... yuma AZ, I believe. Dana Bowman survived with a double amputation; the other guy died.

there was a very weird one on an actual demo back in 1973 or 1974 when I was at Bragg. Jumper meant to do an intentional cutaway from much lower than normal altitude because of clouds; the intentional cutaway gear got bollixed up after he streamered it and he could _not_ cut away, so he deployed his PC into the mess.

It made a bigger mess, which slowed him down enough to survive. As i recall the story (as he told it to me some months later), he landed full on his left side in the front yard of the best orthopedic surgeon in the southeast - who happened to be in the back yard having a BBQ with several other MD friends - and his next door neighbor, who was an ambulance driver and who, you guessed it, had an ambulance parked in his driveway.

So this GK got fast attention and evac. When I met him about 9 months later, he was still wearing one ankle cast, but was otherwise pretty functional.
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

There have been cutaways on demo's, they are rare but do happen.

The documentary idea was pitched around the last couple years. 1. Since 2009 is the 50th anniversary, and 2. to show the selection program and what it takes to come onto the team. The idea was met with positive feedback but the main producer we were looking at (Gordon Forbes III) who had done a lot of work with the military for TV (Navy SEAL BUDS documentary on Discovery). Wanted to basically turn it into GK survivor. I then started talking to another producer that was very close to being a done deal, till he asked that we (GK's/ARMY) fund the whole production cost. Which is absurd when he would be selling it to the Discovery or Military channel and keeping 100% since the Army and GK's can't collect any $ whatsoever. Last I heard from our media relations was the idea was still out there but I'm not sure if that would be this year.

BEN

the incident to which you refer was a training jump in... yuma AZ, I believe. Dana Bowman survived with a double amputation; the other guy died.

there was a very weird one on an actual demo back in 1973 or 1974 when I was at Bragg. Jumper meant to do an intentional cutaway from much lower than normal altitude because of clouds; the intentional cutaway gear got bollixed up after he streamered it and he could _not_ cut away, so he deployed his PC into the mess.

It made a bigger mess, which slowed him down enough to survive. As i recall the story (as he told it to me some months later), he landed full on his left side in the front yard of the best orthopedic surgeon in the southeast - who happened to be in the back yard having a BBQ with several other MD friends - and his next door neighbor, who was an ambulance driver and who, you guessed it, had an ambulance parked in his driveway.

So this GK got fast attention and evac. When I met him about 9 months later, he was still wearing one ankle cast, but was otherwise pretty functional.

WOW!
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!