f1racer696

should i worry about getting my A license

so i have noticed a lot of students all getting their A licenses right at their 25th jump. yet i am almost at 50 jumps and havnt even started filling out my proficiency card. i have just been having a blast and learning as much as i can. do i need to worry about getting my A as soon as i can? or should i not worry about it too much

oh dude DUde DUDE BRO DUDE. omg DUDE! ummmmm. i forgot....

Dudeist Skydiver #61

lol, your DZ dont care i know that, but if you want to start trying out other DZ's in socal or in other locations you will need a log book and a uspa membership and license or you will not be allowed to jump til you get one. so really its up to you, if you think you may go to a few boogies i would say yes, if you plan on staying at Lodi then i say no, Bill dont give a shit.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

do i need to worry about getting my A as soon as i can?

i have just been having a blast

You answered your own question. When you reach a point at which you need an A license to keep "having a blast," you can bear down & complete any requirements, or maybe you'll already be qualified by then. In the meantime, that proficiency card thing is a good idea. It can document some accomplishments that you are probably achieving now and it can serve as a checklist of skills you need to develop for that "A." If you're not using the card, you need to keep a detailed log so this information can be transferred later to the card.

CS

What Gary said. If you plan to jump only at Lodi you don't need it. If you plan to jump at any other dz in NorCal, you will want to have a license; without it you may very well be stuck doing a solo or having to jump with a coach or instructor.

Regardless of if you want/need the license, if you aren't already doing so make a point of doing one or two of the canopy related things on the card on each skydive. Shouldn't take too long to get them all done, and you'll learn a lot about your canopy by doing so.

Get your license.

Is that a direct order, sir?

Get off of student gear.

He doesn't need a license to buy and jump his own gear. Some of my students have done so.

Learn more.

I think that falls under OP's "learning as much as i can," which has nothing to do with an A license to carry in your pocket.

Lighten-up! Not everyone is as driven to achieve. Some will perform better, learn more, and have more fun if they can just progress at their own pace.

CS

I think that falls under OP's "learning as much as i can," which has nothing to do with a card to carry in your pocket.

This is true, but the A license card does give a good overview of basic skills that new skydivers should work on. If one isn't following the card, it might be easy to overemphasize learning in some areas and underemphasize learning in other key areas. It doesn't necessarily have to be achieved in a 25-jump pace, but it's all good stuff to cover and learn early on in the skydiving career.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It is refreshing to even hear about someone who isn't insanely driven to get signed off. Keep having fun. (That's an order.)
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I did a few hundred jumps as quickly as I could and then got my C. Cheaper that way, only had to pay for one. I didn't travel though.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Are you jumping solo every time now? I guess if you're not paying for an instructor it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but getting my A-license meant 25 bucks off every one of my jumps, because i was jumping mostly with an instructor up to jump 27. Obviously its up to you, and you may have your own reasons for holding off on it, but why not just go ahead and get it? You'll undoubtably learn things by crossing off various requirements on your A-card, and the sense of accomplishment is a plus as well; I was stoked when that thing showed up in the mail. Also, even if you're not planning on traveling, the time may soon come when you hear about an awesome boogie within driving distance of where you live, and I'm betting on that day you'll wish you had that A-card.

thanks for all your feedback.

i have only jumped with an instructor once since completing my aff. and do mostly 2 ways and a few 3 ways. as a few of you have said i have kind of been using my proficiency card as a checklist, and have pretty much completed most of it. i did my hop n pop last week so im not sure why i havnt started filling it out. haha.

but im not sure what not having my A license has to do with my gear. i have my own gear and everything. so all i need is the darn license. haha

i know a few people around my DZ who didnt get their license untill a couple hundred jumps. and i have heard people call them "another product of Lodi." ill try not to be in that category for too long. lol

oh dude DUde DUDE BRO DUDE. omg DUDE! ummmmm. i forgot....

Dudeist Skydiver #61

Along with the reason of travel, getting my A license was a way to jump with other people...I don't know if it is a USPA reg, but I think without a license you are only suppose to jump with an instructor or D license holder, I could be wrong though, but anyways, that is why I wanted mine right away, and I am glad I did. If I would have shown up to some of the boogies ive been to without a license , there is no way I wouldve been able to participate in those bigger jumps, biggest being a 23 way. But, I guess as long as your DZ is being cool about it and your having fun, screw it haha.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

Don't you get tired of jumping alone? I just did my 25th jump and I was planning on getting my A but I didnt realize that I shouldve started workin on my card a long time ago. I was never told. So I just started and I still have a few things I need to get signed off. I'm dying to get my A because I cant wait to start jumping with other people! I do enjoy my solo's (especially yesterday when I was on my back for the first time) but I have learned so much doing coach jumps that I know jumping with others will only help me learn even more.