packerboy

Been 2 years... re-cert jump?

It's been nearly two years since I last jumped. Gonna get out there this weekend and do a bunch. Nerves are kicking in a little bit. I'm sure the climb in the plane is going to be a little different feeling than I was used to.

I'm gonna plan the first jump as a two way belly jump with an instructor. I have 600+ jumps in 3 yrs prior to the layoff, and I'm convinced that finding my pilot chute, ep's, and a safe landing are going to be no problem.

Just wondering what should we plan on doing for 14K feet?

Edited to add:

DZ.com is a little different than I remember on my old 17" monitor to my new 24" imac too... :D

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I'd recommend skydiving for approximately 11,000 of those feet, and a canopy ride for the other 3,000. Maybe 3,500 given your lack of currency. And having fun! :D

If I were doing your recurrency jump, in addition to the ground prep, I'd probably plan a fairly simple drill dive, maybe throw in a few fall rate changes just to refresh your memory on moving along all axes. Keep it simple and just enjoy getting your knees in the breeze!

Welcome back!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

since you plan on doing a bunch I would keep it simple the first one.

but considering you started your lay off before I ever did my first jump, I dont feel like I have much else to offer in way of advice!!

either way, have fun and be safe!!!
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Damn, I was thinking something hybrid, or atmonauti (is that still cool?).

Hmmm... trying to remember if I cocked my pilot chute... ;)

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

It's been nearly two years since I last jumped. Gonna get out there this weekend and do a bunch. Nerves are kicking in a little bit. I'm sure the climb in the plane is going to be a little different feeling than I was used to.

I'm gonna plan the first jump as a two way belly jump with an instructor. I have 600+ jumps in 3 yrs prior to the layoff, and I'm convinced that finding my pilot chute, ep's, and a safe landing are going to be no problem.

Edited to add:

DZ.com is a little different than I remember on my old 17" monitor to my new 24" imac too... :D

I can relate.. I was away from the sport for about that length of time.. Shitty job, no money, responsibilities, etc..

I have lower jump numbers.. For my first jump coming back to the sport I did a solo at a really familiar DZ and made sure everyone knew I'd be pulling at 5k. I know a lot of people may think that's a bit over-cautious, but I just felt safer knowing I had plenty of time to react to anything bad, not to mention it allowed me to re-familiarise myself with my canopy..

The great news is that even after being away for so long, it felt really natural and instinctive for me. I *was* surprised to find my canopy was much faster than I remembered, but after a couple of jumps I felt in my grove again.. Funny thing is that I had somehow improved my sit-fly, because when I used to be current (before the break from the sport) I was trying too hard!!!

Good luck, play safe, and enjoy :)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Well... all went well. Ended up doing 8 jumps. Flew better than I did when I was current.

Had the excess brake line come loose on the second jump and lock my toggle in place, so I ended having to wrap the other side to near full brakes to fly straight and land with the rears. That was a bit exciting for the second jump back.

Had a pretty decent 5 way, sitfly, and geeked a couple tandems, including my sister for her first jump. Nearing the end of the weekend though I started to realize that this thing has lost a bit of it's lustre for me. I've been sitting on my gear for two years, kinda missing things and being undecided of whether or not I should sell it.

I did a X-Country canopy ride from 13,500 ft in the dying sun said my goodbyes in a near epic setting over the 1000 Islands, now I'm ready to sell the gear. It's just not worth the other sacrifices in my life that I would have to make in order to continue.

Thanks for the good times. With this, I bid you all farewell. Good luck. Take care of yourselves out there and blue skies.

Trev

All you need is a ride to altitude. It'll all come back. (It never went away.) If you made over 600 jumps in five years you don't need any kind of formal retraining. You can do this quite safely for the cost of a single jump ticket. I concede you may not be able to find a DZO who will let you do this, but you are capable. Have fun!

Cheers,
Jon S.