skybytch

"Partner protection" @ '09 USPA Nationals

Believe it or not, I have another point to make.

Earlier in the thread, the name Skyride came up, and I'm not sure how or why, but it was quickly dismissed, and everyone seemed to agree that it didn't belong. I don't know where your DZ sits in the Skyride issue, but after reading your post, I do see a connection.

One of my main problems with the Skyride deal us that they are not bringing any new business into skydiving. All they offer are websites with high rankings on search engines, so a customer is already looking for information on skydiving when they come across Skyride. What they are doing is placing themselves inbetween an area DZ, and the people in that area who are already thiking about jumping. They're taking what would have been a full value customer for the DZ, and creating a partial value just for managing to step into the middle of the deal.

In your situation, you are doing the same thing in that these are skydiving companies you have partnered with, so you're not bringing any new sponsorship to the industry, you've just stepped inbetween the jumpers and the companies that would have sponsored them for the benefit of your DZ.

Let's be honest, Spaceland stands to gain in many ways by hosting Nationals. Locally, I'm sure the news affilitates will cover the event, and drive some new busines your way. The competitors, of course, between competition and training will be purchasing thousands of slots in your aircraft (literally more slots than some smaller DZ will sell in a year). Those same competitiors, if you host a nice meet, will come to regard Spaceland as a top notch world-class DZ, and be more likely to return for fun or other events you will host. That same ida extends to the publicity in the non-competing skydiving population, who are all going to be well aware of Spaceland, and it's facilities.

So what you have done is only furthered Spacelands advantage ot hosting this event by increasing the value of the event sponsorship, but you've done it by cornering some of the skydiving-related sponsorship dollars that otherwise might have gone to competitors.

What if Aerodyne had spent their money sponsoring ten teams? Discounts on Icons and Pilots, Aerodyne logos on the Pilots for the open calss teams, T-shirts for everyone, and sent a marketing team to run an Aerodyne tent with info and goodies for everyone else?

And if Skysystens had done the same?

Who couldn't use a Vigil? How many teams could they offered 1/2 price AADs to for Vigil logos on their rigs and jumpsuits, and wearing Vigil shirts during the competition?

You see, in essence all you have done, much like Skyride, is taken the existing sponsorship dollars in the indusrty, and taken those opportunities away from the competitors, the same people who the entire meet is about, the same people ready to buy a years worth of slots in two weeks. These are the people you have put yourself ahead of in line for sponsorship dollars. Nice.

For the record, I recall being a Nationals 10 or 12 years ago at Perris, when during the practice week they flew over 100 loads in one day for the first time in their history. That's 2000+ slots on one day, during the practice week. (It was a skyvan load, I was on it, and Perris paid for everyones slot)

I'm sure you need every penny of that partner money.

This whole thread is starting to border on the ridiculous. Since no one can see into the future we will have to wait and see how this plays out. All the weeping and whining in the world is not going to change how things are now. After the Nationals and there are facts to deal with would be a better time to discuss it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

This whole threat is starting to border on the ridiculous. Since no one can see into the future we will have to wait and see how this plays out. All the weeping and whining in the world is not going to change how things are now. After the Nationals and there are facts to deal with would be a better time to discuss it.

Sparky

There ya go again with that logic thing! :S

Hater! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

That is silliest thing I have read in this thread.

Really? and not: "Maybe if you strech a little farther you can tie them to Hitler or the Taliban. I bet they are buying guns for terrorist with some of that money." ??

You proved me wrong, Chris. You really did think of something that nobody else in the thread has thought of so far.

Spaceland's upgrades for Nationals include an additional 17,000 sq ft. hanger...

:D

Now that's a big hanger! Must take a big closet!?

You can bet that they didn't build that hanger for nationals or that nationals will come close to paying for even part of it. I guess if I buy a new motorhome everyone can complain I am taking advantage of the jumpers at the St.Patricks Boogie.

Spaceland's upgrades for Nationals include an additional 17,000 sq ft. hanger...

You can bet that they didn't build that hanger for nationals or that nationals will come close to paying for even part of it. I guess if I buy a new motorhome everyone can complain I am taking advantage of the jumpers at the St.Patricks Boogie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwrY5KQS9XQ&feature=channel

If you haven't been there in a while...you can see the improvements at the beginning of this and from the air at the end.

I took it two weeks ago, new hangar, team rooms, bunk houses, and a rather LARGE indoor packing area, world class swoop pond...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

:|
Zooom.

yup, quite the airball. Though unsurprising with the demise of the English language.

I guess we'll see. I'm off to nationals in a couple of days, and while i am unsponsored, i know several friends who are. We will see how it goes.

Hoping, of course, that the weather lets us jump! [:/]

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

:|
Zooom.

No more over my head then this topic is for the rest of you people. Some of you are trying to play with a football bat.

:S

* slaps forehead *

hanger

–noun
1. a shoulder-shaped frame with a hook at the top, usually of wire, wood, or plastic, for draping and hanging a garment when not in use.
2. a part of something by which it is hung, as a loop on a garment.
3. a contrivance on which things are hung, as a hook.
4. Automotive. a double-hinged device linking the chassis with the leaf springs on vehicles having solid axles.
5. a light saber of the 17th and 18th centuries, often worn by sailors.
6. a person who hangs something.

hangar

–noun
1. a shed or shelter.
2. any relatively wide structure used for housing airplanes or airships.

–verb (used with object), verb (used without object)
3. to keep (an aircraft) in a hangar: She spent a fortune hangaring her plane.

> I guess if I buy a new motorhome everyone can complain I am taking
> advantage of the jumpers at the St.Patricks Boogie.

If everyone at the boogie had to go through your motorhome, and you didn't let some people through - yes, I could see them complain.

OTOH, if you wanted to just do your own thing and not tie it to anything I pay dues for? Knock yourself out.

And if the dz cut cost and amenities everyone would be bitching about that.

Find me a thread with 274 posts in 13 days, where people are bitching because the "amenities at nationals aren't good enough."

I didn't think so.

(edit: I mean any one of the OTHER nationals events, obviously)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com