scholarkyle

1st Cutaway

Survived my first cutaway today--jump 52. Sunset load hop-n-pop under a Safire2 at a 1.05 WL. Still trying to figure out what quite went wrong. Pitched on the hill--don't think (but can't be sure) that body position was a factor. Saw 1 line twist during the deployment sequence quickly turn into 6 or 7 twists--next thing I know I'm spinning on my back looking at the canopy and with each kick the lowest twist would start to unwind but then go back to where it was. Fought it till 2k and then chopped. Lost both handles like a retard but was glad to be alive and make it back to the DZ.

Shittiest thing is that it wasn't my rig. Pretty nice canopy about to be sold by one of the DZs riggers that I rented it from. Couldn't find the canopy in the dark but already called into work to tell em I wouldn't be in tomorrow morning lol. Will be hiking thru the woods to try and find that sucker. Feel absolutely freaking terrible 'bout the main--but again, glad to be alive.

Good job surviving!! Sounds like your situational awareness was pretty good. You might re-think your decision altitudes a bit. At 50 something jumps and a spinning malfunction 2 grand is a bit low to take action. I have seen some pretty scary stuff in similar situations! Sounds like your mal may have been a little more than simple line twists, and hard cutaway pulls often accompany spinning and/or violent malfunctions. Glad you're here to tell the tale!!! Live and continue learning.

Way to save your life. I hear you didnt even have an RSL you crazy bastard!!!:P

Lol jk, ill see you at the dz next weekend bro.

Why not?
My direction in life is up...then down again REALLY REALLY FAST!!!
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
D.S. #55

FOUND IT!!!

Found the main in about 45 minutes this morning. Thanks for helping and good eyes Briles! Looks like I had a brake-fire. Kinda frustrating--I've had a brake-fire once before and was able to fix that one. This was a lot different and a lot faster for sure. The twists that accompanied are why I didn't identify it as a brake-fire right away I guess.

Less successful in recovering the reserve pilot chute and bag. We located it but despite an all-day effort that may have been slightly illegal we just couldn't get it outta the trees. The Rig Fund will be taking a minor hit on that one.

Appreciate everyone's two cents. Definitely a learning experience and good to know that should there be a next time, I have the confidence of having gotten through it once before. And yes, Beer is indeed forthcoming to my dropzone!