Bertt

X-ray degradation of nylon

Any polymer chemists or x-ray technicians out there? I'm wondering if x-ray radiation degrades nylon. I'm not talking about the occasional x-ray at the airport. Would a really strong x-ray dose cause the polymer to break down. Any insight you have or literature you can point to would be helpful. (Yes, I've done some searches, but either I'm not looking in the right places or there's not much out there.) Thanks.

I've heard through the grapevine that hybrid organic/inorganic nanocomposites are being developed to improve the physical and mechanical properties of polymeric materials without adversely effecting their processing characteristics. Of course, that could be just a rumor.

Hi Bertt,
Used ta' work for Paranettics, Inc. and Scurvyirvy Scare-O-Space some time ago and a lot of the chutes we packed required some serious x-rays to check for bent cutters, misplaced screwdrivers and whatall!. This is an industry wide practice. I don't know how myuch "X-ray" you'd have to expose nylon to to fry it, but unlike the human body, I doubt that your parachute will get cancer from it!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

depends upon how much energy was being put into the X Ray. check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_welding

So in short if you have enough energy to break the bonds of the polymer (which are covalent bonds= very strong) then you theoretically could. you would notice the nylon looks burnt just as if you put it into the fire. it would be stuck together in clumps (which would give you a great 3K snivel upon "opening").

depends upon how much energy was being put into the X Ray. check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_welding

So in short if you have enough energy to break the bonds of the polymer (which are covalent bonds= very strong) then you theoretically could. you would notice the nylon looks burnt just as if you put it into the fire. it would be stuck together in clumps (which would give you a great 3K snivel upon "opening").

Depends on the X-ray wavelength, but any X-ray photon has more than enough energy to break a C-C covalent bond, IF it is absorbed. Fortunately the absorbtion coefficient of low atomic number species (like C and H) is very low, so the likelihood of absorbtion is very low (which is also good for us when we have our bodies X-rayed, since we are made of polymers).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've worked with MEMS devices where x-rays were used to degrade PMMA (plexiglass) to make masks to form the devices; I don't remember specific levels, but we used a synchrotron so it was pretty intense. Exposure increases the crosslinking of the polymer until it becomes very hard and fragile. I have also used radiation sterilization on injectable drugs. The polymer seals were still in good shape after exposure at 50 kiloGrays, but the glass was starting to darken. Basically, radiation will damage polymers like nylon, but it will take a large dose.

what in the world are you talking about? I mean I understand the question, I'm just trying to figure out what situation is going to force you to put your parachute through those conditions? the simple answer is stay away from intense radiation and there is no good reason to expose your gear to it either.

I've worked with MEMS devices where x-rays were used to degrade PMMA (plexiglass) to make masks to form the devices; I don't remember specific levels, but we used a synchrotron so it was pretty intense.

OK, but synchrotron sources may be well over 1,000,000 times brighter than conventional X-ray tubes, so that's hardly relevant unless he's going to expose his rig to synchrotron radiation.

xdb.lbl.gov/Section2/Image_Sec2/Sec2154.gif

John, sometimes I get concerned that my "Wigglers" and "Bends" are not running in parallel.

Do you think that could affect my "Undulators" in the "Continuum"?

If you keep your wiggler under control and don't let it overrule your brain, you won't need to worry about getting a bend in your undulator at an embarrasing moment.

Here.

John, sometimes I get concerned that my "Wigglers" and "Bends" are not running in parallel.

Do you think that could affect my "Undulators" in the "Continuum"?

If you keep your wiggler under control and don't let it overrule your brain, you won't need to worry about getting a bend in your undulator at an embarrasing moment.

Here.

I guess it just makes sense that my "Wigglers" would have fewer poles.

I mean that's what makes them "Wigglers".... right?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.