Ezskysufer

A license

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if I’m rehashing an old thread but I’m new to DZ.com and I couldn’t find an exact answer to my question. I also searched the sim and couldn’t find anything.

All I need to get my A license is jump my own pack job. Unfortunately, its winter and my DZ is closed for a while. Does anyone know if I can make this last jump and get my A license from another DZ. I’m going to FL in feb and I would love to get my A license and make some jumps while im there.

Thanks for your help!!

T.J.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you have to actually jump the pack job. You just have to pack unassisted. I looked at the 2-page card on the USPA site. It doesn't say anything about jumping, just packing.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

What's wrong with going to your home DZ?

Or even to an instructors house (if they have a big enough living room)?

But to answer your question, I think yes. As long as all the spaces on your card are signed, you send it in and get your "A" license. (or get the stamp and it is your A).

But I could be wrong.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I got my card signed off at 3 different DZs. Just let the people in the office know youre still on student status and need to speak to an instructor. (and my understanding about jumping your own pack job, is making sure it works.... that's what I was told anyways. I packed my first unassisted one just as bad weather rolled in and didnt end up jumping that pack job)

I agree with the above comments. Packing is required, jumping your own pack job it is not required by USPA. Some DZs informally require/expect you to jump your own pack job. Jumping your own pack job is a good confidence builder!

Assuming that you get your A license while your DZ is shut down for winter... BEWARE when the weather improves and your DZ is open again and you have your brand-new license in hand. You will probably be eager to jump as soon as possible. However, your skills will likely have gotten "rusty" during the winter.

Be sure to take advantage of Safety Day and all other opportunities to get your knowledge and skills refreshed before you jump. Hopefully, your DZ adheres to the USPA guidelines regarding currency and re-currency training. Paying for re-currency training and a supervised re-currency jump is a bargain... compared to the cost of injury or death.

Congrats on completing all but the packing requirement... stay safe.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I agree with the above comments. Packing is required, jumping your own pack job it is not required by USPA. Some DZs informally require/expect you to jump your own pack job. Jumping your own pack job is a good confidence builder!

Assuming that you get your A license while your DZ is shut down for winter... BEWARE when the weather improves and your DZ is open again and you have your brand-new license in hand. You will probably be eager to jump as soon as possible. However, your skills will likely have gotten "rusty" during the winter.

Be sure to take advantage of Safety Day and all other opportunities to get your knowledge and skills refreshed before you jump. Hopefully, your DZ adheres to the USPA guidelines regarding currency and re-currency training. Paying for re-currency training and a supervised re-currency jump is a bargain... compared to the cost of injury or death.

Congrats on completing all but the packing requirement... stay safe.

I've got to be the devil's advocate here.

If you look at the 4 sided ISP card, "packing w/o assistance" is part of a Category G jump.

Listing it as a required achievement for a Category G skydive sort of says to me that he is supposed to pack for his own jump.

The list of "privileges" of a "A" or better license includes "pack their own parachute".

Without even opening the issue of paid packers who are not riggers and have little or no supervision, don't you think that the privilege of packing one's own parachute should only be granted after demonstrating that very skill?

On the other hand, I admit that I don't see any clearly stated requirement that says you must be jumping your own pack job to get a license.

So, I am a bit undecided on this question.

My DZ is requiring me to jump my own pack job. I have no problem with that.

Mine also did. In fact I had my whole card filled out but it took me 27 jumps to get my A because I had to jump one, pack it, and jump that. I knew it wasn't technically required, but I'm glad they made me do it, because now I know I can.

The logic could go, packing unassisted = packing w/o supervision, and assuming you're not a rigger, I'm pretty sure that qualifies only you to jump it. I suppose they could repack it after you're done, but where's the value for the student in that? How do you even know if you can do it? I'm not arguing whether or not it's required, but IMO I think everyone should jump their own pack job to have a license.

I think there is a huge amount of confidence gained in jumping your own pack job.

If you are heading to FL, try going to Skydive Sebastian. Skydive Chicago is supporting the DZ for the winter, and a lot of our instructors are there. The staff from Sebastian is great as well, and it is a friendly place.

Any of them will be glad to help you finish up your A license.
"I love when humans fly,"

Thanks for all the input!

I too think that everyone should be required to pack and jump their own gear prior to getting their A license. I have taken a couple packing classes and feel confident that I can pack my own gear unassisted. My original question was asking if I could finish my A license at a different DZ then the one I have been jump at for the past year. Originally I thought you were required to jump your own pack job to get the A license. Apparently all you need to do pack unassisted. This makes no difference to me, I just assume jump my own pack job anyway. I’m getting kind of ancy !!! I think I will feel much better when I see the square nice and full above my head.

I will be sure to check out skydive Sebastian!

Thanks again,

T.J