swoopfly

Cliff launching???

Doc Johnson and Mike Kemp were doing it off the Torrey Pines cliffs in the late 70’s or early 80’s.

Back in the same time frame we tried it with my old Stratostar at Point of the Mountain in Utah. We were on the slope, not the bluff, and the results were more comical than anything else. :D

Kind of like those old movies showing the cheesy birdman get ups taking a chow. ;)

kind of LIKE THAT ?B|

I wonder if a frame could be built, using stong light weight poles, that could hold the canopy open and up above your head so you don't need the wind at launch.... The throw it up in the air technique needs a bunch of wind.
Ozone's BBHPP (Baby High Performance Paraglider) has light carbon rods inside, and the increase in performance is so astounding that the other paraglider manufacturers wants to ban that canopy "because it's not a paraglider anymore"
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

kind of LIKE THAT ?B|

I wonder if a frame could be built, using stong light weight poles, that could hold the canopy open and up above your head so you don't need the wind at launch.... The throw it up in the air technique needs a bunch of wind.
Ozone's BBHPP (Baby High Performance Paraglider) has light carbon rods inside, and the increase in performance is so astounding that the other paraglider manufacturers wants to ban that canopy "because it's not a paraglider anymore"

Ban it from certain paraglider competitions because it doesn't compete fairly with other "standardized" paragliders? Or ban it from being sold or flown at all? If it's the first, then that's just a matter of the rules of a competitive sport. But if it's the latter, then that's parochial bullshit.

banned from competition... which IMHO is utter BS.. It's like if the had banned carved skis from competition a couple years ago...

now anyways they came with an alternate solution, which is apparently more "air solid" and less "structure solid", and it seemes more performant...

the glider could still be packet in a soft bag etc.. and the carbon rods were no more rigid than mylar eor other inserts that you can find on actual canopies.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

banned from competition... which IMHO is utter BS.. It's like if the had banned carved skis from competition a couple years ago...

I don't know enough about paragliding to have an informed opinion about it, especially as a competitive sport. But speaking generically, we all know that there are lots of equipment-dependent sports that have fixed ranges of specifications for the equipment, to avoid undue advantage. At some point, if the equipment deviates enough from the set range, it needs to be in a different competitive category.

Taking advantage from this thread...

Has someone ever skydive from a plane, open his parachute, glide to a slope and start soaring, all before touching the ground?

Oh sure. You never heard of Blade Running?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I read it on the other forum, I'm so sorry to hear :(

I'd still like to see the pictures because it sounds bad ass. I knew it would work but didn't know you really meant a canopy or speed wing.

Be well.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

kind of LIKE THAT ?B|

You mean Like the one Hecker's been designing :)GL Fly Frame
If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!!
Cuz stupid hurts

A-54266 - BASE#1374