richravizza

Buying that Fisrt Rig/Internet scams

Go through a trusted dealer.

Search "Rigger as Escrow"

Short version:

Seller ships the rig to a dealer/rigger for inspection.

Rigger tells you its good, you send money.

Seller gets money, tells rigger to send you the rig.

You get an inspected rig.

The inspection will cost something, the escrow may or may not (some places include the escrow in the inspection). IMO, the small cost (relative to the cost of the rig) for the inspection and extra shipping is well worth it.

At your experience level, you're going to want anything you buy inspected by a pro before you jump it anyway.

This community is small enough that finding a 3rd party that you and the seller agree on isn't too hard.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If you're buying a first rig, it's also imporrtant that you involve a local instructor or rigger who knows you and your abilities to ensure that the equipment you are considering is appropriate for you, in addition to making sure it's airworthy, as-advertised, and appropriately priced.

There may be a person local to you who can help you with this for a fee. It might be a rigger who will do it for the price of the inspections, or it might be a local gear 'broker' who will take care of arranging shipping, payments, and inspections. They might also know of gear for sale locally which is the easist way to deal.

PM 'likestojump' on this site. He does a bunch of used gear sales, and even has a thread or two started by satisfied customers. I know him personally, and he is trustworthy in terms of correctly representing equipment, and accepting returns. Even then, have everything inspected by a rigger, and spell out all of the terms of the deal (including returns) before commencing with any transaction.

there may be a few scammers, but in general they are easy to weed out.

Get them on the phone. No matter how new or inexperienced you are, you still know more about gear than any scammer out there. It will take under a minute of talking to realize if you are talking to Joe Shmuckbag or to someone who knows about skydiving. Excuses such as "I don't have a number", "I am overseas", " I am in-between phones" - are BS, and are the red flags.
Granted, someone who is a jumper may try to screw you, but that's a lot less likely. Speaking to your rigger or experienced competent jumper who you trust will be most helpful just like posters above have said.

and on a personal note - do some research and figure out what size and type (model) gear is good for you. A 1980s Racer with a 5 cell reserve and a StratoCloud main for $700 in the classifieds may be described as "good beginner gear", but it really is NOT :(

good luck.

... A 1980s Racer with a 5 cell reserve and a StratoCloud main for $700 in the classifieds may be described as "good beginner gear", but it really is NOT...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Aw, gee, Why not? I jumped this stuff as a student. No, really, it had a round reserve... Point well taken though. We've reached the point where perfectly good gear, once considered suitable for advanced students who had some round experience, should only be jumped by us old veterans.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Excuses such as "I don't have a number", "I am overseas", " I am in-between phones" - are BS, and are the red flags.

I believe you told me you were "out of the country" and that my main would take an extra week to arrive. :D:D

Got me. Kinda :)
I still had phone access, and you used paypal :)

I am more referring to people claiming not to have phone access for a long time due to being overseas. Such as "I am on vacation in UK for the next 6 weeks and I don't have a phone. But the rig is with my sister in US, so she will ship it to you". But of course - why not give the sisters number, and who the hell vacations in the UK for 6 weeks :) ?

Such as "I am on vacation in UK for the next 6 weeks and I don't have a phone. But the rig is with my sister in US, so she will ship it to you". But of course - why not give the sisters number, and who the hell vacations in the UK for 6 weeks :) ?

Exactly - 6 weeks vacation in the UK is highly unlikely :$

Especially for anyone who likes to jump regularly !!! :P:P

One other thing - Most legit sellers will understand your concers with scammers and will make an effort to prove their legitamacy. Pics of the gear with a close up of serial nmbers, references, that sort of thing.

It isn't too hard to ID the scammers. Keep your eyes open, if it seems too good to be true it probably is.

There's lots of gear out there (except for what you're looking for of course:P) so don't be afraid to walk away.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Once you've been in the sport a while there will be a high likelihood that you'll know someone from their supposed home DZ, or at least know someone who knows someone. For the first time buyer, this obviously won't work, but your instructors or DZO might be able to help. When I purchased gear last year from a couple people on the West Coast, I asked for references from people I knew, or at least people I knew of. A scammer will not be able to get a real DZO or well known jumper to vouch for them. If the person comes back with a line like, "I've been out of the sport for a while, so no one remembers me," I'd advise looking elsewhere.

If you are in the States and jump at a USPA DZ, your DZO can also look up people in the USPA database on-line and at least verify that they are or were a licensed skydiver. Don't buy gear that someone is selling "for a friend". The gear is either stolen or imaginary.

- Dan G