jigneshsoni

How to train?

Now that I know procedures on getting trained, I would like to make a decision on where should I get the basic traning for getting into this sport.

I live in Newark,NJ. So a drop zone closest will be 1 of my preference. I have several other preferences like safety, cost, right training, good instrcutor, etc etc.

On basis of that can you guys post your experience and recommendations which drop zone I should get my traning at? Also mention reasons why do you think I should choose a particular drop zone over the others if you can.

Appreciate all your help in this matter.

Thanks in advance
Jignesh Soni

Most dropzones have a different vibe and whether or not a person likes a particular dropzone can be a very personal choice. You might want to consider looking up all the dropzones close to you and visiting each one yourself, talking with the instructors, checking out the facilities and so on.

This page has dropzones in NJ: http://www.uspa.org/dz/states/NJ.htm

Well, I can give you a little advice. I did my training at the Ranch in Gardiner NY, a big DZ. (about 100 miles from you) I loved it!! For me everything clicked, the people, the instructors, the people. It will always be my home DZ. I would recomend it.

Skydive Jersey Shore is aobut 50 miles from you. It's a smaller DZ. They fly 2 Cessnas. The vibe is good, the people are nice and helpful. The DZO (Dropzone Owner) is out doing tandems, instructing, and fun jumping when he gets the chance. I did not train there; however, I think that it would be a good and safe place to learn. (I've seen how they treat the students)

There are differences between big and small DZ's to learn. It is easy to get "lost" at a big DZ. After you finish the student progression, you will need to get people to jump with you. Generally it's easy to do. Ocassionally, you have an odd day when your jump buddies are not around and everyone else is free flying when you are still learning belly flying. At a smaller DZ, it seems that when they fill the Cessna everyone works to try to do some sort of jump with whoever fit in the plane. :)
CrossKeys is down near Philly (I think). I would guess about 80-100 miles from you. I have never jumped there; but, I have friends who have and enjoyed it. They all spoke well about Crosskeys.

Your best bet is to go visit them and see which one you like the best. Be warned it may be difficult to get time with an instructor on a Saturday or Sunday at a big DZ. They are not blowing you off. They are just trying to take care of there current students. Weekends are the busiest time.

Hope this helps a little.

B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Thanks a lot everybody who responded. I had done my first sky dive jump in tandem at the ranch several years back. I did my 2nd jump at crosskey last weekend.

I have heard that no medical plan covers injuries caused by sky diving. Is that true? I would appreciate any information about this.

Thanks

I have heard that no medical plan covers injuries caused by sky diving. Is that true? I would appreciate any information about this.

This is policy by policy...you need to read thru yours and see...there is no set answer.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Thanks a lot everybody who responded. I had done my first sky dive jump in tandem at the ranch several years back. I did my 2nd jump at crosskey last weekend.

Thanks

I have a very popular health care company / plan offered by my employer, and I called to make sure that my plan does cover injury due to high risk activities such as skydiving. I also know of some plans that will not. It is best to check out the plan that you have.

Life insurance is the same way, a lot of older plans will not cover death due to skydiving, but most (not all) newer plans will.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

I have heard that no medical plan covers injuries caused by sky diving. Is that true?

unless it specifically has an exclusion.. (the majority of companies i have checked with do not have such, i would never work for one that discriminated in such a manner..) it should cover you no matter what you do to break yourself..

but who knows.. maybe you work for one that does... :S

I just graduated from AFF last week at Skydive Jersey Shore.

They are a great place to learn. Its a small dz so there is a great family vibe there. All of the staff and instructors are great people as well and you can tell they care about their students.

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!