ozzy13

BOD

Ok the more involved and time I get in this sport. The more I wonder.

Should DZO's be allow to be on BOD? Is their discussions that affect our sport for their personal gain or to better our sport?

I know if a change was going to affect my wallet I would vote so that it wouldn't affect it. I guess its good im not on the board. LOL

I just would like to hear what other people think?
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I know if a change was going to affect my wallet I would vote so that it wouldn't affect it. I guess its good im not on the board. LOL

Well, sometimes good changes that are needed are going to affect your wallet. Think of the issue, not just the dollars.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Should DZO's be allow to be on BOD? Is their discussions that affect our sport for their personal gain or to better our sport?

Why limit it to DZO's? How about gear manufacturers? Then Instructors? Anybody who has gotten paid to do a demo? How about sold a skydiving T-shirt or necklace? (BTW, just because someone is a DZO, they may not be making a whole lot of money in the sport!)

Any and all the above people can impact your wallet with decisions if they were on the BOD. The key is to get dedicated individuals who care about the sport, the members, and USPA- not their personal gain.

My thoughts anyway....

Jump more, post less!

We each have the power to make that happen, but as a group we consistently vote for DZO's. Part of that is they tend to have the time to run, access to a pool of supportive voters, and the inclination to make an electoral effort.

My sense is that there should be a few DZO's on the BOD, but it shouldn't be dominated by full time industry professionals. When I cast my USPA ballot I select a mix of candidates with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. They don't all win, but at least I know I'm making an effort to better balance the industry structure.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I thought about running a few years ago. I went to one meeting in Orlando and was dumb struck by the arrogance that oozed for some of the people in that room. I realized I would accomplish nothing by subjecting myself to that on a a regular basis and I would probably beat the shit out of at least one of them.

Why limit it to DZO's? How about gear manufacturers? Then Instructors? Anybody who has gotten paid to do a demo? How about sold a skydiving T-shirt or necklace? (BTW, just because someone is a DZO, they may not be making a whole lot of money in the sport!)

Any and all the above people can impact your wallet with decisions if they were on the BOD. The key is to get dedicated individuals who care about the sport, the members, and USPA- not their personal gain.

My thoughts anyway....

Yeah right.. as if:S:S:S:S I know of a very few people there on the BOD who fit that description. I know of a couple DZO on there who do give a shit about skydiving... but there are plenty others there that do NOT have the best interests of the members as their primary motivation...>:(>:(

My thoughts anyway....

Yeah right.. as if:S:S:S:S I know of a very few people there on the BOD who fit that description. I know of a couple DZO on there who do give a shit about skydiving... but there are plenty others there that do NOT have the best interests of the members as their primary motivation...>:(>:(

Well, you have to give Craig a bit of slack because he was not on the BOD when officers were elected last winter. That's when you learn about the lackeys and kissups and people that have double standards.
He still has stardust in his eyes.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

The key is to get dedicated individuals who care about the sport, the members, and USPA- not their personal gain.

My thoughts anyway....

Well, you have to give Craig a bit of slack because he was not on the BOD when officers were elected last winter. That's when you learn about the lackeys and kissups and people that have double standards.
He still has stardust in his eyes.

Craig didn't say that he thought the current BOD was built that way.

He said how the ideal BOD should be built.

As I see it, he's looking to the future and saying "Why not?".

I thought about running a few years ago. I went to one meeting in Orlando and was dumb struck by the arrogance that oozed for some of the people in that room. I realized I would accomplish nothing by subjecting myself to that on a a regular basis and I would probably beat the shit out of at least one of them.

And I wouldn't have seen a thing, only would have hoped you wouldn't ruin that nice shirt you were wearing. ;)
Roll Tide Roll

And I wouldn't have seen a thing, only would have hoped you wouldn't ruin that nice shirt you were wearing. ;)

Was it the same as this one? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Funny thing. None of the BOD would stand next to me cause they were afraid someone was going to take their pic with me wearing that shirt.

Couldn't you have snuck behind some of them and posed for a picture? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Funny thing. None of the BOD would stand next to me cause they were afraid someone was going to take their pic with me wearing that shirt.

Mike Mullins did complement me on the fabric the shirt was made out of.:D:D:D

I wish I had seen you wearing it, I would have asked to get my picture taken with you!

Next meeting?

Jump more, post less!

Mike Mullins did complement me on the fabric the shirt was made out of.:D:D:D

No, I said I liked your shirt. I think you heard "fabric" when I said you were a "prick". Wink, wink, laugh, laugh (I can't figure out the emoticons).

Was it the same as this one? :D

HA! Billy, I forgot about that picture! The Farm Christmas Party right after SkinnyShrek's death. And who's that fine specimen standing next to you?!

If anyone wants one of those shirts, Alan Croasdale has some left I'm sure (A lot more people expressed interest before he printed them) - contact him at [email protected] or [email protected] - I forgot which one he's using now.
Roll Tide Roll

I really can't say that they "shouldn't" be allowed. It's more a case of wondering why folks continue to elect so many of them. In the end I began to suspect that what was really happening was that the few thousand that bother to vote at all, are people who predominately have an interest in the industry, or in the operations of a DZ. They can be instructors, professional jumpers of almost any sort, plus packers, riggers in general, or others in the larger industry. Obviously not everyone that votes is in that group, but one can surmise that alot of these folks do choose to vote. And they will obviously have a certain affinity for others in the industry.

The real problem is that there are so many members that don't vote. That's because there are so many who are members because they feel they have to. They have little interest in USPA or any of their programs. They care more about what the DZ owner does. They just wanna jump.

Hahahahaha!!!!

:D Dude, you just click on them.

I did! It just won't work for me. :(

You just did! :D Where did that frown emoticon come from? Just because you're old doesn't mean you have to be senile. :P And yes, I'm still fucking deaf. :D

I really can't say that they "shouldn't" be allowed. It's more a case of wondering why folks continue to elect so many of them. In the end I began to suspect that what was really happening was that the few thousand that bother to vote at all, are people who predominately have an interest in the industry, or in the operations of a DZ. They can be instructors, professional jumpers of almost any sort, plus packers, riggers in general, or others in the larger industry. Obviously not everyone that votes is in that group, but one can surmise that alot of these folks do choose to vote. And they will obviously have a certain affinity for others in the industry.

And in this, is exactly why some of the BOD members are fully opposed to modifying the constitution of the USPA, in order to allow on-line voting. My belief is they're scared that most of the BOD will be voted off. There are several BOD members that want to see online voting happen, but not enough of them.

As anyone who reads the wingsuit forum will know, there has been much discussion about how to evaluate wingsuit formations.

Prior to the recent BOD meeting I sent a proposal on this subject to the entire Competition Committee (including the ex officio members) and to the E.D. It was fairly lengthy, complete with diagrams and examples, and had taken a fair amount of work. As a matter of courtesy, I also sent a copy to my RD (Gary Peek) who is not on the Competition Committee.

The only person who sent any acknowledgment was Gary Peek (thanks, Gary). How long does it take to hit REPLY and type "Thanks"?

Apart from Gary, it seems that we have a serious lack of common courtesy at the top.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.