ihazkittehz

When do you stow your brakes?

I stow my toggles in the landing area t prevent twisting.

I SET my brakes in the packing area as a part of my packing routine.

So you put them in the keepers, then get to the packing area, "unkeep them" and the set them? Isn't that a good way to forget to set them?

Not at all. Stowing toggles is part of the landing process, not the packing process. Setting the brakes is part of the packing process, not the landing process.

I'm getting kicks out of all those who are confusing "stowing toggles" with "setting brakes".
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

So you put them in the keepers, then get to the packing area, "unkeep them" and the set them? Isn't that a good way to forget to set them?

That's odd, over 1000 jumps and never forgotten my ROUTINE yet :ph34r::ph34r:
Pete have a routine that you stick to. a step by step method of doing things,it helps prevent the
"Forget" you speak of;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Not at all. Stowing toggles is part of the landing process, not the packing process. Setting the brakes is part of the packing process, not the landing process.

I'm getting kicks out of all those who are confusing "stowing toggles" with "setting brakes".

When I land, I take the toggles, set the brakes, and stow them. I guess it's just the routine I learned - In my head, putting them in the keepers, then getting back, packing, unkeeping them, setting them, and keeping them again seems like more work. But hey, whatever works for anyone is perfect for them.

That's odd, over 1000 jumps and never forgotten my ROUTINE yet :ph34r::ph34r:
Pete have a routine that you stick to. a step by step method of doing things,it helps prevent the
"Forget" you speak of;)

Careful that comment can bite ya in the a$$ real quick! :o:D

This was jump #970ish and I forgot to stow a brake

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

When I land, I take the toggles, set the brakes, and stow them. I guess it's just the routine I learned - In my head, putting them in the keepers, then getting back, packing, unkeeping them, setting them, and keeping them again seems like more work. But hey, whatever works for anyone is perfect for them.

Don't you find removing twists in the brake lines more difficult if you're still wearing the rig and ducking swoopers?

Don't you find removing twists in the brake lines more difficult if you're still wearing the rig and ducking swoopers?

Usually it's not a problem re: wearing it. And I tend to land in what's scientifically termed "Way the hell over there," so I'm usually alone, getting ready to para-hike.B|

If you don't let go of the toggles before stowing them, where would twists come from? I don't think one or two twists are a problem anyway, but I'm sure some will disagree. Feel free to enlighten me.
But what do I know?

If you don't let go of the toggles before stowing them, where would twists come from? I don't think one or two twists are a problem anyway, but I'm sure some will disagree. Feel free to enlighten me.

depending on how you grab and hold your toggles, you can easily put a twist in them each time you grab. After 6 jumps a day, that's 6 twists :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I wondered the same thing a while back. I stow my toggles (but not set my brakes) after landing. I don't twist em when I unstow them, I don't twist them when I stow them, so where the heck were my twists coming from? I realized it was all about which way I turned the cat's eye when setting my brakes. I guess I turn them one way more than 50% of the time. Doesn't seem like that would do it, but I guess I manage to twist the line when setting the brakes.

Dave

Same here.

BTW I've tried stowing them BEFORE I land but, well that's problematic:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I stow the whole toggle in the landing area, but I do the excess steering line in the packing area. It's the best way to avoid twisted steering lines.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?