swoopfly

dislocated shoulder

So this week i had an extremely painful shoulder dislocation. I had to go to the ER and get it put back in place. I read that it can take anywhere from 10 to 16 weeks to fully heal (this is my whole summer skydiving season). it is my left shoulder which is my reserve arm. I also read it will never be back to what is was after this injury. I am just wanting to hear from anyone who has maybe been through this. How has it affected you??? Did it put any limitations on your skydiving even after you have healed? i really hope this dosent affect my skydiving career

It used to happen to my left shoulder all the time, then I guess it healed itself. This summer while surfing, it happened to my right shoulder for the first time. I put it back in my self every time but it will be sore and loose for a while. Especially after the first time. It has never been a problem for skydiving. Just take it easy on it.
Still a Nerd

After my first dislocation, I could tell it wasn't the same. I started to have more dislocations, until I eventually got surgery. Surgery was the best thing that happened to me, if they recommend it to you, I would do it. If you don't have surgery, make sure to do lots of PT and strengthen it back up.
Search around on these forums, I have seen a number of threads on this topic.

I had a left anterior dislocation in 84. I was on the ground for 30 days exactly. Had to do some pull ups for the dzo before he'd let me jump and it hurt like hell, but I did it.

I was sore for a few months... couldn't really do pushups w/out pain or discomfort for almost half a year. I did no physical therapy (unless you want to call basic training/jump school physical therapy...) and the only issue I have is the 'every blue moon' wake up in the morning w/a stabbing pain between my left shoulder blade and spine. It usually goes away in a day or two...

Bottom line, it will only affect your skydiving career as much as you let it. ;)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Before you get in the air again, it might be a good idea to spend some time in the training harness seeing what a cross body right handed reserve deployment would feel like (just in case).

I would imagine that the geometry of right hand Movement of left side handle has to be correct to keep from generating too much resistance from cable being pulled at an angle from cable housing.

I sure would want to work this out on the ground rather than in freefall.

I might even pull my reserve with my right hand at the next repack.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Yup. Shoulder dislocations really blow. The first one hurts like a motherfucker too. Your going to be out of the game for awhile. Take the time to do your PT and do stick to it. I cant remember time tables from my injury, but 10-16 weeks sounds about right.

And remember, after all that rehab, a very high number of people re dislocate it in the future. (Happened to me). The second time was slightly less painful, and I actually put it back in myself right on the ski slope (using the method I saw my doctor do the first time).

After the second injury they did the surgery on me. That whole process is a total bitch too. But haven't had any more dislocations since then (about 2 years). Good luck, hope you get to jump again this year.

How did you do it?
BASE 1384

Agreed brother!

I dislocated my right shoulder in a plane crash two summers ago.
My acromium (sp?) clavicular ligament was stretched so badly that I will always have a bump on my right shoulder.

The first month ... I don't remember much of the first month because I was taking so many pain-killing pills.
The second month I started light physiotherapy.
The third month I started a second round of (heavier) physiotherapy.
The third month, I also made the mistake of letting my boss bully me into lifting some heavy stuff, which only retarded the healing process by several months.
One of the sad things is that Worksafe BC had an agenda which included me "graduating" four months after the accident. The last couple of weeks of rehab were so painful that I was going backwards.

It was a good five months before I - terrified - me tried skydiving solo and it was more like eight months before I was strong enough to resume working as a TI.

Despite thousands of push-ups and thousands of chin-ups my right shoulder will never be as strong as it was before the accident. While I might still be able to do more chin-ups and push-ups than most of my co-workers, it is getting tougher and tougher every year to out-run men half my age.

Lesson learned: after a major injury, you can heal slowly, and if you lack the patience to heal slowly, you can heal REALLY SLOWLY.

Right shoulder dislocation a couple of years ago. ER doc stated it was the worst he'd ever seen. [:/] Sedation and two doctor's strength to reduce it.

Two non displaced fractures.
Torn biceps and supraspinatus tendons.
Damaged suprascapular and long thoracic nerves.

Took 6 months of both personal and clinic based physical therapy, plus surgery, to get it healed. Length of time was lengthy due to the damaged nerves, which thankfully -did- regrow. The surgeon's opinion was they wouldn't....but we showed him!

Shoulder is about 80% now, which is the best it'll be, I believe. Got back into skydiving (cameraflying, so hanging on the outside of the plane) just shy of 6 months.

As one who also works in physical therapy, who specializes in orthopedic and neuro care, my advice is to take your time and do it right. What you do in your recovery will affect you the rest of your life. Being impulsive and getting back into it before it's completely healed will do you no favors.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon