virgin-burner

1-800-skydive, what is it!?

are they those skyride-guys!?

having a pending gear-deal going with someone that claims to be the master-rigger for this company, and for some reason, it's kinda fishy..

if i google the guys name together with the place he names, i get carried to a rather un-informative website that mentions the above number.

i dont trust it for some reason, and i got another guy here that was interested in it first, and for simplicity of transaction, i'll go with him, since things dont rhyme up.

if you had a US-citizen that is not only a friend, a senior- and masterrigger that manages a dropzone in the US, which would check the item and confirm to the prospective buyer it was in "good condition", would you still want it to be sent to you? the buyer claims he's the master-rigger at above dropzone..

jesus, i think i'm known well enough and have made several deals with people over here worth about five grand; i think a little trust would be in order, right!? :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

It's legit - many of the DZs that use it as a phone number also don't accept Skyride certificates (some do). Depending on the state you're calling from it'll route you to the closest dropzone in that state that uses that number (I believe it's automated routing). For example, my home DZ use 1800Skydive as its marketing number it and doesn't take Skyride.

Why the company would have a rigger is beyond me, but I'm not sure who owns the overall infrastructure for it ...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

800-SKYDIVE is a network owned by the Skydive Miami people in Homestead FL. Basically you would buy area codes through them so when people dial 800-skydive, they get funnelled to your telephone #.

We used it for a while, inflated phone prices and not much traffic. A good idea, but unless there is a nationwide advertising campaign to promote it, it does not mean squat.

and promoting it via area code does not work either. Dial 800-SKYDIVE from Tampa and you get a recording saying there is no dropzone in the area currently subscribed....

I would envision an 800-SKYDIVE call center where your recommendation as a dropzone comes via the location relative to the caller and the amount of $$ you pay them to promote you.

Anyway it is not a scam, just a disfunctional service at this point

It's a "vanity 800" number. 800 toll free service allow businesses in different City/States across the country to share the same toll free thereby offering a business exclusive rights to the toll free number for calls originating in that city, state or country. If you can grab the country-wide vanity number; all calls in the US will route to your business.

City 800 (Expensive)
State 800 (More Expensive)
US 800 (Most Expensive)

Any DZ in any city/state who is the first to grab the 800 SKY-DIVE for city/state-wide usage gets all calls made within that City/State to that 800 number. There are numerous 800 SKY-DIVE numbers. If you're in Houston and you call 800 sky-dive, you're going to get Spaceland. If you're in Missouri, I believe you'll get Missouri River Valley. If you're in Oklahoma, I believe you'll get Oklahoma Parachute Center.

However, if you're in another City/State and want to call Spaceland at 800 sky-dive, you won't get Spaceland, you'll get the DZ that has that 800 number registered for routing in that City/State.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It's a "vanity 800" number. 800 toll free service allow businesses in different City/States across the country to share the same toll free thereby offering a business exclusive rights to the toll free number for calls originating in that city, state or country. If you can grab the country-wide vanity number; all calls in the US will route to your business.

City 800 (Expensive)
State 800 (More Expensive)
US 800 (Most Expensive)

Any DZ in any city/state who is the first to grab the 800 SKY-DIVE for city/state-wide usage gets all calls made within that City/State to that 800 number. There are numerous 800 SKY-DIVE numbers. If you're in Houston and you call 800 sky-dive, you're going to get Spaceland. If you're in Missouri, I believe you'll get Missouri River Valley. If you're in Oklahoma, I believe you'll get Oklahoma Parachute Center.

However, if you're in another City/State and want to call Spaceland at 800 sky-dive, you won't get Spaceland, you'll get the DZ that has that 800 number registered for routing in that City/State.

Probably a dumb question Keith bit if you call it from a cell how does it know where you're at...by the tower?

One of my cells has a Santa Barbara prefix, I get transfered to SPX when I'm here at home.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Probably a dumb question Keith bit if you call it from a cell how does it know where you're at...by the tower?

One of my cells has a Santa Barbara prefix, I get transfered to SPX when I'm here at home.

Hehe... If you are out of your NPA (Area Code) and call it on your cell, you'll probably get a recording from Skyride stating there is no 800 skydive in your area, please visit 1800skydive.com. The owner of the national 800 number can do some fancy techno shit with the "exchange routing." Mike can explain this part much better than me (speaking of which, I ain't heard from him in awhile??? hmmm).
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hehe... If you are out of your NPA (Area Code) and call it on your cell, you'll probably get a recording from Skyride stating there is no 800 skydive in your area, please visit 1800skydive.com. The owner of the national 800 number can do some fancy techno shit with the "exchange routing." Mike can explain this part much better than me (speaking of which, I ain't heard from him in awhile??? hmmm).

It's been years since I've had my hands in a telephone switch in anything more than a peripheral manner.

That said, I know that location based services such as weather, directions, local shopping and the like use data services and GPS or tower positioning. I don't *think* that call centers like SR would have access to any of that information, but I am unsure.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706