skymama

Deland airport control tower gets shelved

Nice! B|

http://www.beacononlinenews.com/news/daily/2671

After learning it will cost more than they thought to put up an air traffic control tower on the DeLand Municipal Airport, city commissioners have nixed the project.

After less than an hour of discussion at a special meeting that began at 6 p.m. today, May 26, at City Hall, the City Commission voted unanimously to postpone the project for the near future.

Fear that the tower would eat up all city monies targeted for airport improvements — and then some — spurred the vote.

City Manager Michael Pleus pointed out the city would need to borrow $350,000 to obtain a grant for construction of the control tower from the Florida Department of Transportation. A site behind the Airport Restaurant & Gin Mill had been selected for the tower.

"I can't see coming to you with the recommendation to fund the money," Pleus said.

Neither could City Engineer Keith Riger.

The best-guess estimate for the cost of the tower was $1.76 million. Operating and maintenance costs would be added to that.

The decision not to build a tower to regulate traffic on the airport comes as a relief to DeLand's skydiving industry.

Industry representatives have told the DeLand City Commission repeatedly that a tower could cripple their businesses, by slowing takeoffs and landings at the airport.

The city will revisit the tower topic in two to four years, Pleus said, after another review of the airport master plan. Whether state grant money will be available then to help fuel the project is not known.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thats good news!

I doubt you could have jumped off of it.
They one in Atlanta you could!

"an impressive 398 feet, the new air traffic control tower that accompanies the “Most Important Runway in America,” is the tallest in North America and a site to behold!"
I "heard" someone did jump it when it was still under construction.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

The one in ATL is really nice on the inside too, its got a great view of the airport and downtown. If they had built one in Deland i doubt it would have been over 125 feet, but the one in ATL overlooks a nice empty tarmac where they put the BA planes while waiting on gates to open so its a nice landing area ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

seems to me, that the airport, has done Just Fine..... for all these years...
hell.. all these DECADES.. without a tower!!!...:|:S "if it ain't Broke.. Don't fix it"..:P;)

The whole movement to install a tower there was in response to an accident, which was perceived by some as avoidable if a tower had been present and in charge of air traffic.

Nice! B|

http://www.beacononlinenews.com/news/daily/2671

After learning it will cost more than they thought to put up an air traffic control tower on the DeLand Municipal Airport, city commissioners have nixed the project.

After less than an hour of discussion at a special meeting that began at 6 p.m. today, May 26, at City Hall, the City Commission voted unanimously to postpone the project for the near future.

Fear that the tower would eat up all city monies targeted for airport improvements — and then some — spurred the vote.

City Manager Michael Pleus pointed out the city would need to borrow $350,000 to obtain a grant for construction of the control tower from the Florida Department of Transportation. A site behind the Airport Restaurant & Gin Mill had been selected for the tower.

"I can't see coming to you with the recommendation to fund the money," Pleus said.

Neither could City Engineer Keith Riger.

The best-guess estimate for the cost of the tower was $1.76 million. Operating and maintenance costs would be added to that.

The decision not to build a tower to regulate traffic on the airport comes as a relief to DeLand's skydiving industry.

Industry representatives have told the DeLand City Commission repeatedly that a tower could cripple their businesses, by slowing takeoffs and landings at the airport.

The city will revisit the tower topic in two to four years, Pleus said, after another review of the airport master plan. Whether state grant money will be available then to help fuel the project is not known.

Great news. I love that DZ.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Forgive my ignorance here -- but why would adding a tower have such a negative impact on skydiving operations? What issues does a tower cause?

A tower is rather like traffic lights at an intersection. If it's really busy, a tower (and traffic lights) help with the flow, but if it isn't busy (and Deland isn't) it just adds unnecessary delay.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.