gracefulglider

canopy training

ok so after a lot of searching i think i have broken down and decided to purchase new gear. my question concerns my canopy size. at the moment i have 30 or so jumps on a 170 and by the time i would actually have my gear i will have had at least an additional 80. however, i would really like to get some canopy training so can purchase a 150 (on which i would also aquire addtional training). i was told that if i´m smart and careful that it would not be a stupid purchase. i don´t know where to start at the moment becaue i´m in spain - jumping at emuria and skydive spain. i will definately be asking the instuctors there for assistance. i was just wondering if anyone knew of someone specific i should ask for help (here n back in the states - fl) :D

In Florida I recommend Scott Miller. I have been through his course and I learned a ton!

A forum search revealed these threads about his courses.

Here is the website for his business.

Out of curiosity - what specific canopy are you jumping now, what is your body weight, and what is the elevation of the DZs where you jump?
Arrive Safely

John

i was told that if i´m smart and careful that it would not be a stupid purchase.

I'd never suggest to anyone that they fly a canopy they need to be "smart and careful" with. Shit happens; when/if it happens to you it's far better to be under a canopy that you are confident you can land safely in all conditions than to be under something you need to be "careful" with.

In the US I know of several places you can get canopy control training and coaching in Florida, Arizona and California. Several of the "name" coaches take their courses to other dz's around the US as well. I've taken Scott Miller's basic canopy course and can highly recommend it - he gave me the tools I needed to begin fixing 1000 jumps worth of bad habits. Brian Germain's course is also highly recommended by those who've taken it (his new book is a worthwhile investmest as well). There are also courses available at Perris, Elsinore and Eloy (and other dz's, I'm sure; these are just ones I know about).

In the UK, Chris Lynch does canopy control coaching. And definitely ask the folks at Empuriabrava and Skydive Spain; if there's anyone doing it in those areas they should know.

Good on ya for planning to get more canopy control training; imho it's the best investment you can make in your own safety.

I've taken the Team Extreme Canopy course at Perris with Clint Clawson. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this course, Clint's a really good teacher and it helped me immensely.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky