shah269

How much for a first rig?

Guys gals,
Hi I'm Shah!
Had one bad landing so I kind of like my landings soft. No need to swoop when you ride an 1100cc motorcyle.
I'm 180lbs of Shah.
Suggestions as to how much I should be spending on a frist rig?
And if you know of one could you please let me know.
Thank you!
;)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I spent just shy of 5 grand for my first rig, and the one Im building now is costing more than that.

I guess it really depends what you're looking for, and how picky you are... This might work for you http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=96407;d=1 throw an aad in it, and you got yourself an el-cheapo!

(ofcourse get it inspected, see how it fits and flies)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What's a "big boy" rig?
I'm not that BIG.
I'm 5'8" and 180/185lbs...do i qualify as big?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

What's a "big boy" rig?
I'm not that BIG.
I'm 5'8" and 180/185lbs...do i qualify as big?

You're 2" shorter and 10-15 lbs heavier than me... I guess I wouldnt call you 'BIG'

What size/model canopy did you get your titanium insert from?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

You're 2" shorter and 10-15 lbs heavier than me... I guess I wouldnt call you 'BIG'

What size/model canopy did you get your titanium insert from?

So what..i'm some what big? :P
It was a broken canopy which was old and no longer ZP and was a 265.
I'm not jumping a 285 which is very nice.....but I'm going to try a 260 when I get a chance.

Depends on what you're looking for really. You can get out of it pretty cheaply, or you can spend quite a bit. I wanted something newer, freefly friendly and that had an AAD in it. I ended up spending $3200 for it, but it's a rig that only had 127 jumps on it, so I can use it for a while before I decide to get another one.

And did you really compare riding to skydiving and that being a reason to not have the desire to do something skydiving? I grew up riding and racing motorcycles, and own one of the fastest production bikes made...and still wouldn't say it's a reason why I'd never want to swoop. At this point in my jump career, i have zero desire to swoop...but riding isn't really a reason for why.

Poke around the classifieds. Keep your eyes open and check often. Once a good deal comes up, it usually goes quickly.

Good luck,

Shane

Oh you know a little tracking, a little catching up with friends, a little flip here or there a little sit if i get that far with soft openings and soft landings on nice days where the winds don't go past 15mph.

I think I have a lead from some one here that sounds good. No AAD but....I'll buy that later if the deal works out.

The thing that gets me is the ZP vs F111 and the 9 cell vs 7 cell thing.
I JUST WANT SLOW SLOFT DUMB DUMB LANDINGS!

I have other things to impress the ladies with.

I'm 200 pounds and I bought an almost new Wings rig with a 230 PD Storm (7 cell), 225 reserve for $3,500 from a rigger at the DZ. The rig was manufactured in 2006, was in excellent condition and only had a handful of jumps on it. The main had 150-200. I also bought a Cyp2 with about a year and a half left on it and had it installed for 100 bucks.

I don't have enough experience to compare canopies, but I can say that the Storm, which I think is a hybrid, is a dream compared to the student Navigators of similar size I learned on. It opens really long and softly and responds much better to input than the student canopies. While the landings seem a little faster than the Navs for me, I have no problem standing them up .. even on a downwinder the other day.

I found this thread with a quick search of 9cell vs 7cell. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2463997;search_string=7cell%20vs%209%20cell;#2463997 It's pretty informative. Sounds like staying with a 9 cell would be ideal for you.
-FEAR IS TEMPORARY...REGRET IS FOREVER!

-"People living deeply have no fear of death"- Anais Nin

I found this thread with a quick search of 9cell vs 7cell. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2463997;search_string=7cell%20vs%209%20cell;#2463997 It's pretty informative. Sounds like staying with a 9 cell would be ideal for you.

theonlyski, thanks for correcting that. What did I do wrong? I copied and pasted the link. Was there something else I should've done?

Click the URL button under the text window, put the link, click the /url button. Done!

Guys gals,
Hi I'm Shah!
Had one bad landing so I kind of like my landings soft. No need to swoop when you ride an 1100cc motorcyle.
I'm 180lbs of Shah.
Suggestions as to how much I should be spending on a frist rig?
And if you know of one could you please let me know.
Thank you!
;)

Mine was $180 for the whole rig with Papillion main, C-9 reserve and the Aircraft altimeter and stop watch on a panel on the reserve.:)

For you...these days.. I have seen plenty of used rigs that are serviceable in the $1500-2000. Once you get your shit dialed in.... get some jumps under your belt and watch for deals, then start buying new...harness and container and find used reserve and main and aad.

For all the posting you've done here, I would have thought you'd know a little more about equipment.

Finish your license, then worry about gear.

Just window shopping and setting up plans as to how much I need to save up.

After speaking with my instructor I will go with a 9 cell ZP at or around the jumbo size of 240-260.
Most likely 260.
I live close enough to the DZ that i don't "have" to jump. Per our conversation i idicated that I'm not one to bow to pressure, if it's too windy then well...it's too windy.
And with my desire for soft landings and my conservative flight paths a fat 9 cell will do.

As for how much? I hope around $2k

AHHH CRAP!
Legal fees just hit me....I'm dead!
There goes $1k!
Freaking divorce!

$1000 for a divorce? Consider yourself very lucky.

Sorry another $1k!
So that's $3k thus far...and let's not even talk about refinancing the house to take her name off the loan!
Man...I may have to start dancing for the blind if I'm to ever afford to have any fun again!
And ladies, no quarter or loose change will be accpted!

$1000 for a divorce? Consider yourself very lucky.

Sorry another $1k!
So that's $3k thus far...and let's not even talk about refinancing the house to take her name off the loan!
Man...I may have to start dancing for the blind if I'm to ever afford to have any fun again!
And ladies, no quarter or loose change will be accepted!

Beggers can't be choosers...

Did you know depending which corner you're at, you could actually make quite a bit more than most people, just by asking for spare change?

^^^Yeah I read the average homeless person makes 27-30 grand a year. >:(:S

Thats more than I made last year... and I was deployed for 6 months (getting tax free, hostile fire pay and such)

But hey, atleast I get free food/lodging here!