jaffo

Gear questions after 10 years

Ok, I haven't jumped since 2001. I ended with a "C" lic and 300-ish jumps.

I want to get back in and I still own some gear.

1. I have a cypress. Can it be updated?

2. I bought a Safire 169 in 2001. Maybe 20 jumps on it and it has been stored in a cool closet. No sun exposure.

3. Raven-M (170?) Reserve- older than dirt, but was in good shape when I quit. I have 2 rides on it.

Eclipse rig, 100 jumps on it.

OK Let the advice roll!!!

Thanks
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

The Cypres has a 12 year lifespan. After 12 years, it turns into a paperweight, so check the date of manufacture. Even if it's less than 12 years old, it may need a factory check-up and battery, which would run you about $300. Even after that, at 12 years + 3 months it's garbage, so see what kind of life you can get after you drop $300. Anything in the neighborhood of 25 to 30 months is a good deal, anything less than that and you're overpaying for an AAD.

As for the rest of your stuff, if a rigger will pack it (meaning they deem it airworthy) jump the shit out of it.

You may want to jump a bigger canopy for your first few jumps back, but that will be a call for the DZ to make. They'll also deciede what they want from you in terms of a refresher course for emergency procedures and the like, and making a jump with an instructor your first time out. make sure your USPA membership is current.

Thanks Dave.

When I left the sport, Cypress was the gold standard. Everything else was a copy. How are other brands of AAD viewed now?

Also, I see that eclipse has gone out of business. Any issues arisen with the rigs in the past 10 yrs?
Thanks
Jeff

There are some other brands of AAD, and they have all had their teething problems. Cypres had teething problems, but that was years ago and they are pretty solid as of now. The others may have a few more years of 'work' to go.

I don't think there was anything wrong with Eclipse rigs. I seem to recall that somebody bought the company, and either was or still is supplying parts. The freebag is the only thing you would really need, I'm pretty sure everything else could be borrowed from another brand, and that's only a problem if you lose your freebag, so don't lose your freebag.

Cypres had teething problems, but that was years ago and they are pretty solid as of now. The others may have a few more years of 'work' to go

if you don't count the recall of so many Cypres a couple of years ago..... :S
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I have a few more details about the gear now.

*The reserve is a Micro Raven 150. DOM is Feb 89. It has the Kevlar lines and they are still yellowish as they were in 98 when I started jumping it. 2 rides on this reserve and they are both mine.

*Main is a Safire 160. It has less than 25 jumps on it. Has been stored correctly.

I noticed that the Safire has been replaced with the Safire 2. Any safety reasons? Or just normal product updates.

The Cypres was mfg in Nov of 99. By the time I could get it serviced and back, I'd only get a year out of it. So I guess it's a paperweight.

Thanks in advance for any info you can lend.

Jeff

The cypres has over a year left on it... if you don't want it I bet you could sell it pretty quickly. For 300 bucks you could use it for the rest of this season,* next season, and have a few months left on it (paper work on mine, in a similar situation says 12 years +- 3 months).
Otherwise you would need to spend over a grand few a new one (not sure what the going rate is right now). Might be worth it.

My situation is real similar to yours. I just got back after a few years off. My cypres is good until early 2013, so for me it was worth it for the 8 year and batteries so that I could get back in with an AAD, and not be out 1200 bucks (give or take).

edited...twice to replace pesky vouls

We're all Vigil in our family. Good product, easy to use, versatile, and economical over the lifespan of the product. Check 'em out.

We'll be having the Leap for Lupus Gear Raffle in the Bonfire in a few days. One of the prizes is a 30% off coupon for a new Vigil. Damn, that'd be nice to win.B|

"

... Eclipse rigs. I seem to recall that somebody bought the company, and either was or still is supplying parts. The freebag is the only thing you would really need, I'm pretty sure everything else could be borrowed from another brand, and that's only a problem if you lose your freebag, so don't lose your freebag.

................................................................................

Eclipse is basically a clone of Vector II.
After the Eclipse factory closed (circa 2001) Bill Dause (Lodi, California) bought the Eclipse TSO and patterns with the intent of manufacturing Tandme Eclipses. That plan fell through, so the Eclipse patterns lay idle.
Now Bill recommends installing Vector freebags and reserve pilot chutes in Eclipses.

Interesting thread to read. I've got the itch BAD to come back to the sport but I'm going to school again and will be for another 2 or 3 years.
I last jumped regularly in 1990 and have been looking at a lot of manufacturers websites, youtube videos and whatever I can find to re-educate myself in the sport. Canopies have certainly gotten smaller! And wingsuits look like a blast!!
Anyway, I'll be lurking for the most part. All I can do for now is jump vicariously. ;)

Blue Skies,
Chris Youlden