PD126r

Landing on your rear risers

I had that happened to me last week tension knot on the left control line the canopy had a turn to the left so I choose to landed on rear riser that was my first time with out the help of togles, the canopy a Nitron 135 loaded 1.5. I would have chopped if a had a more agressive turn but it seemed controllable on rear
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Landing on rear's on anything loaded 2.0+ might be a different story....

Why is that???? many people land just on rear risers it happens to be those with higher wind loadings too
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Why is that???? many people land just on rear risers it happens to be those with higher wind loadings too

I agree. I land my Katana on rears (both swooping and not loaded at 2.0) on a regular basis.

I don't understand why a person would want to roll the dice on the reserve if the main is landable. It seems to me that its possible that I might make the situation worse if I had a function on my reserve. I know it doesn't seem likely that the reserve will malfunction, but it is possible. Why take that risk?

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

I don't understand why a person would want to roll the dice on the reserve if the main is landable

because they are newer in the sport and dont quite have the confidence yet, and or they dont know exactly how, and or they didnt even know it was possible.

While I can understand your point, I think its sad that its the case that some people out there feel that way. It was (IMO) one of the short comings that the new ISP (regardless if its liked as a total package or not) fills. Its good that we now have students doing canopy work with rear risers as well as other flight characteristics.

Its also a great reason for getting canopy coaching.

Pendejo

>some of those student canopies are VERY hard to pull down the
>rears or fronts for that matter.

That's more due to poor geometry of student harnesses/long student risers/lack of dive loops than anything else. A rear riser or a front riser cannot have a pull force of more than half your body weight when in normal flight; the physics prevent it.

A rear riser or a front riser cannot have a pull force of more than half your body weight when in normal flight; the physics prevent it.

explain this.

the way im thinking it is that if your lines reach up and your pulling the surface area of the canopy against the flow of air across the bottom skin, i would think it most certainly could. but if your just hanging there in a harness without no outside force then that would be correct...

but maybe im wrong, please explain a little..

ok i see, it could only have half your body weight. but if you put half your body weight on those risers, did it actually deflect the tail.????

Agreed, they are (or can be) difficult to pull down. The point I was making is that I would rather land a 280 manta with no flare than run the risk of a malfunction with my reserve that has the potential to be worse than landing the manta with no flare.

Pendejo

I don't understand why a person would want to roll the dice on the reserve if the main is landable. It seems to me that its possible that I might make the situation worse if I had a function on my reserve. I know it doesn't seem likely that the reserve will malfunction, but it is possible. Why take that risk?

It's a bit interesting to me that the general trend on this subject is don't trust the reserve. But in the slightly more recent conversation on broken lines, the potential for unknown damage outweighed the fear of the reserve, even if the canopy passed a control check.

>but maybe im wrong, please explain a little..

The _only_ force you can exert downwards in level flight is your own body weight. This is intuitive; if you pull harder than that you do a one-handed pullup. Each set of risers carries half your weight, and that doesn't vary much during most manuevers. Thus on any given riser you're not going to see more than half your body weight in level flight. (Of course, if you have started a swoop and are pulling 2G's in the recovery, you can see more.)