MADPROPS

Coach 1 any hints?

hey i'm taking my coach one in 4 days and i wanted to know if any of you guy/girls had any tips for me? what went on in your C1 class ?

any hints or tips would be helpful

I don't know whats covered in the canadian course but for the USPA course (I imagine its pretty much the same):

Don't rush anything. If you don't have the time to do it right, bump till the next load.

Take the gear checks one step at a time, look for what is wrong, not what is right.

Remember, your instructor when in student mode is a student, hold their hand, make sure they get in the right slot at the door (which you should have briefed, demonstrated and have them conduct practical work on).

My coach course was interesting to say the least, I learned way more than I thought there was to it.

Have fun!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I just earned my coach rating yesterday. The biggest thing I'd say is to relax and not get nervous. You have to be focused, but don't worry during evals. They teach you what you need to know and if you pay attention and learn you'll do fine. It's challenging, but the instructors aren't trying to make you fail, they just want to see you show that you know what to do.

I learned tons in the USPA Coach course. I'm sure you'll learn lots too.

hey i'm taking my coach one in 4 days and i wanted to know if any of you guy/girls had any tips for me? what went on in your C1 class ?

any hints or tips would be helpful

whole part whole, part part whole. dont know what it means? ...you will.

oh... and try not to fuck it up:)

Listen and take notes. The coach workbook has a lot of free space in it to take notes from what the course facilitator tells you. There are a few things I wish I'd included more detail in in my notes, as there was some good material that was not included in the text of the handbook but that the facilitator gave us verbally during the course.

Who's your facilitator?

not sure... well i forget his name :$
i know my coaches are going to be the people i have to teach. i was also told they plan on making it really hard. which is good!

i tend to stick to if you don't know ask even if your supposed to know cause this is not a sport to guess in!

keep the hints coming
oh yea ill try not to fuck it up :P

live and let live

My coach course was an excellent learning tool. Come prepared (study the SIM and IRM), take good notes, and ask lots of questions. There is a lot more to it than you would think. Most of the course is learning how to teach others. The air evals actually evaluate everything you have learned. Teach the student wrong, or neglect to mention something and the person doing your eval will purposefully screw it up.

Be comfortable enough in you flying ability to be able to fly to the student no matter what. You skydiving needs to be to the point where you aren't thinking about how to move around the sky because your focus needs to be on watching the student and being able to remember enough to give him/her feedback.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
This shit, right here, is OK

My course was a blast. Someone i learned fast in the course and when working with students is never to make assumptions. Even if your evaluator/student should already know or be able to perform something that was covered before the cat you are doing, have them repeat it and explain it back to you to make sure they have it right.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Hints for the course (some of which have been covered by others):
1. Print out the C1 Reference Book and C1 Workbook. It amazes me the number of people who show up on the course who don’t have a clue as to what is in the manuals.
2. Do the Pre-Course work as per the instructions that you should have received from the Alberta Sport Parachute Association (send me a PM if you haven’t received the instructions).
3. I will tell you what I need to see on the evaluations. Give me what I am asking for. If I see it, I can evaluate it. If I don’t see it, ZERO. Simple as that.
4. It would have been a good idea to do simulated jumps with experienced coaches on your DZ prior to the course. A little late at this stage, however the course doesn’t start til Saturday Morning so you have until then…
5. Bring your rig. Actually had a candidate who showed up without one, once….
6. Feel free to talk to the coaches on your dropzone during the course for ideas, practice, etc. Some people take the attitude they are on their own, which is not the case.
“Larry” is looking forward to jumping with you. He has MADSKILZ. You may want to stretch before the jumps……

Blue Skies,

Major Dad
CSPA D-579