Southern_Man

Have you talked to your loved ones about what to do if you go in?

Hope NWFlyer doesn't mind me reporting her words and starting a spin-off thread from the "AAD manufacturer sued" thread over in gear and rigging. I thought it was worthy of it's own thread. Anyway, here's what NWFLyer said over there:

This thread should serve as an important reminder of why we have to have these conversations with our loved ones well before anything bad happens to us. I'd venture to guess that no one posting here knows Ms. Lipps, yet everyone is expressing anger and disdain. Yet we have no idea what kind of conversations her daughter had with her prior to her death.

Grieving family members plus aggressive pursuit by lawyers looking for a case is a bad combination. It's incumbent on all of us who are involved in the sport to have the conversation, as many times as it takes, with the person or persons who are going to be making such decisions after our deaths. It might be your parents, spouse, children, siblings, etc. Whoever it is, make your wishes expressly known. Make the fact that you are fully accepting the risk known. Talk to them about how you manage risk, but never ever promise that "my AAD will save me, don't worry!" It's a lie. Your AAD may save you, but it may not. And there are a lot of other ways you can die in the sport that have nothing to do with a low/no pull.

I've had the conversation with my parents. I've sent them an "open if I die" envelope that they have put in their safe deposit box. It's reiterated in there (there's a lot of other information, too, but that's in there).

To do anything else is being irresponsible and setting your family up to be influenced by attorneys at their most vulnerable time.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I talked to my parents after about my 3rd jump. Told them I was a big boy and was accepting these risks and responsibilities for myself. If I go in, then that is all on me and I didn't want them ever considering suing anybody. Honestly it was a pretty easy conversation. My parents are not the "sue-happy" types in general (although I agree w/ NWFlyer that grief can do strange things to people). I have also participated in white water rafting, rock climbing, and other higher-risk activities in the past. My parents have also done a little bit of kayaking and white-water.

I also talked to my kids. They are not old enough to initiate any sort of law-suit but I do want them to understand that it is a somewhat dangerous activity and I accept those risks as part of life. I did not dwell on it real long.

Probably wouldn't hurt to periodically remind my loved ones of this conversation and even have an "open when I die" letter too.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Don't mind at all. ;)

And yes, I've talked to them. My parents also are not the "sue-happy" type; they raised me and my brother to be strong believers in personal responsibility, so I have no expectations that they would be likely to sue, but you never know.

My SO is also a skydiver; because we're not married my parents would still have the "next of kin" designation, but I certainly hope that he could be a positive influence on my parents in the case of my death (or incapacitating injury), as I hope I could be to his family as well.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A post (not mine) from another hobby of mine... Cave diving.

Different sport.... Same people.

Very well and powerfully put. Something we could all do well to read and remember. It's a little closer to home since I'm also a scuba diver...having ready many fatality reports from diving I can certainly understand her feelings.

Let's all be safe out there.

Shane

I plan to die at 70+ out of sheer boredom and will do my best to stick to that plan. But we all know what plans are, right?

Life has thought me that there is only Here-and-Now. Yesterday..? Gone down the river of Time. Tommorrow? It may come. It usually does. Or it may not. There definitely is one day for everybody that will have no tommorrow. Here-and-Now is all there is, and all that matters.

I wrote my will, I defined what is to be done with my... things after I won't be needing them any more (I basically have no relatives, but the State is getting $hit B|). A few people know about it, but most don't. No need for that.

I yet have to define a way to get rid of my body (cremation + scaterring of ashes, most likely) and how to organize a small party (food both veg and non-veg - to each his own) after that. No tears, no drama. We got to know each other, spent some time togedher. Laugh. Dance. Sing. Because, after all, I didn't die - I just went Home ;).

Regards,
Huha (>o

me and my family discussed the subject years ago and they agreed not to sue anyone in the event of my death in the sport, I believe they wouldnt but grief can make people do irrational things and place blame where it doesnt belong.

my mother was more worried about me desert racing and motocross than she ever was about skydiving

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Actually, it's a recorded song I did a few years back.

"I don't care what they say when I'm gone,
I don't care what they write on my stone,
I won't hear it,
won't be able to see it.

But when I'm gone...

Cover me with blue roses
and I shall never want for more
Cover me with lil' blue roses,
I will meet you on the other shore..."

Even if my family didn't know what to do (they do) there is a will, a DNR, and other pertinent documents that make my wishes clear.
That said...as long as they sue no one, I really don't give a sh**. After I'm gone, it's none of my business.
I suspect most skydivers feel this way?

My parents don't even know...no way I can tell them....they'd FREAK.

So I just keep quiet on the subject.

My parents aren't "sue happy" so I doubt there would be an issue. On jump days I post a letter on my fridg (I live alone) explaining what I'm up to and why. My best friends all know....so does all of facebook for that matter so I doubt a suite would be successful anyway.

It helps if your significant other jumps. My wife knows exactly! what to expect if she were to get the phone call and how I would like it handled. I have been on 3 ash dives and the organizer of 2. My wife knows what I would like and I trust that she will do what's appropriate!