TSISK

cutaway

I know there is a ton of threads on cutaways but I have 37 jumps and just had my second reserve ride. The first was a lineover on #23 and Sunday on jump 37 i had a line twist. When it happened i said to myself "cool its only a twist" but damn i couldn't even count how many it had. I was able to kick out of 3 or 4 of them but quickly realized i was fighting a losing battle. I was disappointed that i had to cutaway on a line twist. How many of you guys have had to cut on a twist? Im still renting gear and this was the first time ive flown this chute, a sabre 230. It just seemed to come out mad;).

was this canopy spinning? what altitude did you deploy main? what altitude did you execute EP's, was it going into vertical dive or flying straight and level? either way, glad all is well and hope it all landed close by! havent had to chop due to line twists yet! (knock on wood) but the stiletto and katana both seem to have a mind of there own sometimes!

260 Jumps and you are on a Stiletto and Katana? Damn dude. Put me down for bounce bingo!

OP: Is the Sabre a Sabre 1 or 2? I have a 2, and it seems like the thing loves to open with one side (usually the left) with closed end cells, typically causing a mild diving turn on opening. I could see how line twists at just the right moment could make things interesting hahaha. Good work on chopping!

I was disappointed that i had to cutaway on a line twist.

Don't be disappointed, you perceived a problem and you dealt with it successfully. . .

Yes it's a rather high cutaway to jump number ratio, but so what, you are alive and uninjured and that's the goal.

Question: do you pack for yourself?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Don't be disappointed, you perceived a problem and you dealt with it successfully. . .

Yes it's a rather high cutaway to jump number ratio, but so what, you are alive and uninjured and that's the goal.

IF so: Learn to pack better!

If not: Musta been bad body position :P:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Being an old-timer I still don't see why 'sport' jumpers don't pack for themselves.

I understand the need for comp teams, vidiots and instructors who have time constraints, but for the average jumpers...to me it's like riding a motorcycle and not knowing how to put gas in it.

"Here is some money, make my toy ready so I can go play" :S

When ya get to 4000 jumps look back and think about the 1000 'free' ones ya could have logged! :P

Being an old-timer I still don't see why 'sport' jumpers don't pack for themselves.

I understand the need for comp teams, vidiots and instructors who have time constraints, but for the average jumpers...to me it's like riding a motorcycle and not knowing how to put gas in it.

Since I've been cleared to pack, I have only paid for 1 packjob that I can remember. It was after a zoo raft jump that really wore me the hell out, so I gave the packer $5 and went and got something to eat.

That opening sucked... but you pays your money, you takes your chance.

Not talking about reserves, I still pay for those packers... for now ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

When ya get to 4000 jumps look back and think about the 1000 'free' ones ya could have logged! :P

+1

I am an instructor and also do 4 way competition stuff. I only have a handful of times where I have paid a packer. And it was only because our coach insisted we didn't have time between jumps.

I strongly believe non student skydivers should pack for themself.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

I do not pack yet, Im still renting gear, I may be picking up a used rig here soon. Then i can really learn with repetitive packing. I took a packing class to get my A. but that doesnt mean i know what im doing. It very well could have been body position but lately when i grab my hackey ill hold it for a second or two to make sure im very stable then throw it.

I do not pack yet, Im still renting gear, I may be picking up a used rig here soon. Then i can really learn with repetitive packing. I took a packing class to get my A. but that doesnt mean i know what im doing. It very well could have been body position but lately when i grab my hackey ill hold it for a second or two to make sure im very stable then throw it.

Don't do that!

You are asking for problems...

Why aren't you packing? Just because it's rental gear is no excuse. I was packing for myself well before I had my own gear (it saved the cost of the packjob on the rental fee too).

The only way to learn is to do it. If you aren't sure about what you are doing, have someone keep an eye on you, but pack the thing!!!

Mains all pack the same (or at least close enough to not matter).

The only time I have used paid packers was at Summerfest back in July. It was over 90 degrees and I wanted to wear myself out jumping, not packing. Which I succeeded at nicely;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Thanks for the reply, Why? what kinda problems am i setting myself up for?

With your experience, odds are that when you put your right hand behind you... you are actually causing some instability issue you are not detecting at this point.

You may either be starting to turn or go a bit head down...or both.

If you are actually pulling the hackey and holding the pilot-chute of a couple seconds you are priming the cannon for an out of sequence deployment.

You recent line twist problem could very well be from doing that.

With your experience, odds are that when you put your right hand behind you... you are actually causing some instability issue you are not detecting at this point.

If you are actually pulling the hackey and holding the pilot-chute of a couple seconds you are priming the cannon for an out of sequence deployment.

I do not pull then hold it a couple seconds i hold the hackey a couple seconds then throw it, Will this cause the same?

I do not pull then hold it a couple seconds i hold the hackey a couple seconds then throw it, Will this cause the same?

It will effect your body position unless you are doing something to 'balance' out the right hand behind you...with 37 jumps it's likely you don't notice it. ;)

~what you're doing to 'insure' you are stable, may actually be causing some instability.

Sorry, just now saw this. If you are not pulling the PC out of the pouch, you should be fine. Pulling it out and not getting rid of it is super bad juju. Out of sequence opening, entanglement (foot, arm etc.), horseshoe>baglock combo are all in the cards when you play that game.

You're better off getting stable first for a few seconds, then pitching it. Not holding it and letting go. Also you should start learning to pack yourself so you can take your time and eventually narrow down what the problem is. That way you only have yourself to blame and you can improve on it from there.
B.A.S.E. #1734

You are all correct, learning to pack should have been a priority before now, Not to mention paying the packer at the end of the day is getting kinda pricey. I was under the impression that the rental gear had to be packed by a rigger. I just called them and I was wrong. There are alot of helpful people at the DZ i jump at who im sure would be willing to give a newbie a hand. Thanks for all your replies