SpinxB

Tracking practice

Hey guys. I am currently at 108 jumps and hope to one day give wingsuiting a go. It won't happen before I have at least 200 jumps, but I've been told that rather than focusing on jump numbers, it would be a good idea to focus on some techniques relevant for wingsuit. (still keeping jump numbers in mind of course). So my question is what should I practice in order to prepare myself for wingsuiting some day? I've been told that tracking is a good thing to improve, so I was also wondering if it would make sense to maybe buy a tracking suit for practicing?

Thank you, and blue skies!

Work on tracking and general skydiving skills. Work on spotting. Work on flying a tracking pattern. Work on canopy flight. Jump relative to others as often as possible. Tracking formations are good too.
Stay on your belly and off of your butt.
Skip the tracking suit. It's quite different than a wingsuit and entirely unnecessary (although they are fun).

Work on tracking and general skydiving skills. Work on spotting. Work on flying a tracking pattern. Work on canopy flight. Jump relative to others as often as possible. Tracking formations are good too.
Stay on your belly and off of your butt.
Skip the tracking suit. It's quite different than a wingsuit and entirely unnecessary (although they are fun).

------------------------------------------------------
I'm interested in the same path as well... can you explain more about 'tracking patterns' please....
or are you referring to tracking away from the jump run. Every time I jump solo...I'm tracking every time...I love tracking.

I'm interested in the same path as well... can you explain more about 'tracking patterns' please....
or are you referring to tracking away from the jump run. Every time I jump solo...I'm tracking every time...I love tracking.

Best way i heard on how to track is to pretend that]you are lifting a big beach ball
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Best way i heard on how to track is to pretend that]you are lifting a big beach ball

And how do you translate that into body position in a track? The "hug a beach ball" description is often used as a descriptor for how to de-arch to slow down, but I've not ever heard that to describe a good track - curious how you've applied that advice to get a good track...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

And how do you translate that into body position in a track? The "hug a beach ball" description is often used as a descriptor for how to de-arch to slow down, but I've not ever heard that to describe a good track - curious how you've applied that advice to get a good track...

I think i know what you are talking about, take that position and switch your arms around like you are holding the ball with your arms underneath it, not overs it
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

get a good coach to show you good tracking positiong. I while I understand the image they're wanting to paint, it's not an image I use.

Lie down on a creeper, put your hands on the ground, 14-18" away/outward from your hips. Place the forehead on the ground, let toes relax to the ground. Now point toes and lift butt in the air, as tho you were trying to open your cheeks.
Hold this position for 10 seconds, then relax. Repeat after a 10 second rest. Do this with an experienced tracker watching you and placing body parts in the right positions. Build the muscle memory, then go jump.

Trying to learn/teach/comprehend tracking over the internet is not going to do much good for anyone IMO, but it could be a fun discussion that might bring up a number of interesting or creative visualizations.

get a good coach to show you good tracking positiong. I while I understand the image they're wanting to paint, it's not an image I use.

Lie down on a creeper, put your hands on the ground, 14-18" away/outward from your hips. Place the forehead on the ground, let toes relax to the ground. Now point toes and lift butt in the air, as tho you were trying to open your cheeks.
Hold this position for 10 seconds, then relax. Repeat after a 10 second rest. Do this with an experienced tracker watching you and placing body parts in the right positions. Build the muscle memory, then go jump.

Trying to learn/teach/comprehend tracking over the internet is not going to do much good for anyone IMO, but it could be a fun discussion that might bring up a number of interesting or creative visualizations.

thanks for the advice thats how i kinda wanted to get my point across!!

A "tracking pattern" is choosing a heading and a course to follow during the track. We usually start the track away from, and perpendicular to jump run and then turn down jump run (pending the final hook turn of the jump plane and where tandems etc.. may be exiting). Planning a good pattern is much more important while wingsuiting so you don't fly too far from the dz. I've been told that a horseshoe pattern is usually a good basic pattern (again ending toward the beginning of jump run.

I also just started doing some wingsuiting and have just 4 jumps now. Having a good tracking body position may help out some, but you will need to make some adjustments to it in order find the "sweet spot" with the wingsuit. I didn't do a bunch of tracking dives or anything to prep for wingsuiting and still found it relatively easy to fly. The main thing to keep in mind is that wingsuiting is more dangerous for the simple fact that you have a 'straight jacket' on so to speak. That's just my recent nubie experience, but I'd listen to whatever DSE has to say for expert advice. ;)
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

A "tracking pattern" is choosing a heading and a course to follow during the track. We usually start the track away from, and perpendicular to jump run and then turn down jump run (pending the final hook turn of the jump plane and where tandems etc.. may be exiting). Planning a good pattern is much more important while wingsuiting so you don't fly too far from the dz. I've been told that a horseshoe pattern is usually a good basic pattern (again ending toward the beginning of jump run.

I also just started doing some wingsuiting and have just 4 jumps now. Having a good tracking body position may help out some, but you will need to make some adjustments to it in order find the "sweet spot" with the wingsuit. I didn't do a bunch of tracking dives or anything to prep for wingsuiting and still found it relatively easy to fly. The main thing to keep in mind is that wingsuiting is more dangerous for the simple fact that you have a 'straight jacket' on so to speak. That's just my recent nubie experience, but I'd listen to whatever DSE has to say for expert advice. ;)

Explained well. It's often called a "box", "90/90/90" or "3 Turns to home."
Wingsuiting is more "different" because you have less freedom to move your arms, but the bigger "danger" is the distraction of the ground appearing to move differently than you're used to seeing, deployments are very different, there is more to do once you've deployed.

Having a better sense of body movement with particular awareness of your legs will help in ALL skydiving disciplines ie; "if I move my hand here, it makes my legs go there," or "if I move my leg this way, it makes my body do X."
Seriously, if you're a very new skydiver, relative work will rapidly prepare you for just about any skydiving discipline IMO, if for no reason other than it helps you understand your own body in the air.

and also apparently you have 92 jumps to go till wingsuiting... Don't do 92 trackjumps.. Have fun, try lots of new stuff. You will always get a chance to track from your jumps. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

and also apparently you have 92 jumps to go till wingsuiting... Don't do 92 trackjumps.. Have fun, try lots of new stuff. You will always get a chance to track from your jumps. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

----------------------------------------------------------

You know you guys were referring to 200 jumps recommendation for wingsuiting...but I thought that rec was 200 jumps in a year or a minimum of your D License requirement of 500 jumps total. Is this correct or did they update the SIM?

----------------------------------------------------------

You know you guys were referring to 200 jumps recommendation for wingsuiting...but I thought that rec was 200 jumps in a year or a minimum of your D License requirement of 500 jumps total. Is this correct or did they update the SIM?

You got a point there. I just read the SIM, it said minimum 500 jumps or 200 within 18 months :s that was kind of surprising... It seems a bit high IMO, but maybe that's just 'cause I can't wait to try it :) But the regulations are obviously different from place to place, because at Skydive Empuriabrava in Spain where I go to jump quite frequently, the minimum jump number to take their wingsuit course is just 200... But at the end of the day I guess being ready for wingsuit is a combination of jump numbers and experience like people say, so I will keep on jumping and wait patiently :)

Blue skies

I agree with you bro completely...but I'm in the same boat as you...not getting impatient...enjoying the ride...but waiting on baited breath until I finally get to jump a wingsuit...but it'll still be there when I'm ready and I'd rather be ready and enjoy it more than to be not ready and to be fighting for my life. I'll get there ...soon i hope.

I'm not a wingsuit expert with only 18 flights, but these are my recommendations:

I disagree with "staying off your butt". Freeflying made me worry less about instability and feel more confident in the air in any body position, including wingsuit.

Don't rush to buy the smallest, most elliptical canopy you can buy, it only limits what kind of jumps you can do, including wingsuit.

I disagree with doing tracking dives as the best preparation, I think Wingsuiting is very different because you can fly so much longer. Get instruction in how to make a flightplan and fly it from someone experienced, or from a wingsuit instructor. I found that very helpful, and I didn't have a problem flying a good pattern even without a lot of tracking experience.

Jump a lot! Be experienced and current when you do your first wingsuit flight. There are some procedures in wingsuiting that are different from normal skydives, and they are easier to remember when the "normal" part of the skydive has become second nature. Such as gear checks and canopy flight.

I don't have a lot of wingsuit flights, but they were all nice and stable and trouble free. I never felt restricted in the suit or had any problems with my other gear because of it. I had instruction, and flew a Phoenix fly Prodigy as my first suit, and then a Tony Suit T-Bird (I LOVE that suit!). I did my first flight at 450 jumps, and I was very current.

Wingsuiting is a lot of fun, but so is other skydiving disciplines. Try different things and see what you like. And quality coaching is definitely worth it.

Have fun, be safe!

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I agree with you bro completely...but I'm in the same boat as you...not getting impatient...enjoying the ride...but waiting on baited breath until I finally get to jump a wingsuit...but it'll still be there when I'm ready and I'd rather be ready and enjoy it more than to be not ready and to be fighting for my life. I'll get there ...soon i hope.

Straight up dude :) it would be a shame to let your focus on getting to a certain jump number blind you from the fun of jumping.

Blue skies and soft landings!

I'm not a wingsuit expert with only 18 flights, but these are my recommendations:

I disagree with "staying off your butt". Freeflying made me worry less about instability and feel more confident in the air in any body position, including wingsuit.

Don't rush to buy the smallest, most elliptical canopy you can buy, it only limits what kind of jumps you can do, including wingsuit.

I disagree with doing tracking dives as the best preparation, I think Wingsuiting is very different because you can fly so much longer. Get instruction in how to make a flightplan and fly it from someone experienced, or from a wingsuit instructor. I found that very helpful, and I didn't have a problem flying a good pattern even without a lot of tracking experience.

Jump a lot! Be experienced and current when you do your first wingsuit flight. There are some procedures in wingsuiting that are different from normal skydives, and they are easier to remember when the "normal" part of the skydive has become second nature. Such as gear checks and canopy flight.

I don't have a lot of wingsuit flights, but they were all nice and stable and trouble free. I never felt restricted in the suit or had any problems with my other gear because of it. I had instruction, and flew a Phoenix fly Prodigy as my first suit, and then a Tony Suit T-Bird (I LOVE that suit!). I did my first flight at 450 jumps, and I was very current.

Wingsuiting is a lot of fun, but so is other skydiving disciplines. Try different things and see what you like. And quality coaching is definitely worth it.

Have fun, be safe!

:)

Post #2:
"Work on tracking and general skydiving skills. Jump relative to others as often as possible."
In other words, "Jump, work on different things to gain more experience and airtime, don't focus on one thing."
Sorry if that wasn't clear.
50 sit attempts might help get an understanding of instability; they won't make for a good freeflyer. One might as well recommend tunnel time instead. Flying relative to others IMO, is of greater benefit.
I'm not a wingsuit expert with only 1000 jumps either, but I do know which students have been challenging and which ones haven't.
AFF course candidates, Coach course candidates, and wingsuit students that started freeflying at 25 jumps are very, very often the ones that have more troubles than those that stayed on their bellies and off of their butts. It was good advice from Jay Stokes and my instructional mentors when I first started out, and IMO it is still good advice today.

Place the forehead on the ground, let toes relax to the ground. Now point toes and lift butt in the air, as tho you were trying to open your cheeks.

The old stick your ass in their air and spread 'em trick eh? Not falling for that one!

nd also apparently you have 92 jumps to go till wingsuiting... Don't do 92 trackjumps.. Have fun, try lots of new stuff. You will always get a chance to track from your jumps. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

In all reality it doesn't matter, i'm sure they would be fine doing a wingsuit jump, its dumb why they set a magic number to do a certain jump type.

for instance lets say he and an old timer with 4000 jumps are going out to do there first winsuit jump but the old timer hasn't jumped in three years, who do you think would be more prepared?

more than likely the old-timer with 4000 jumps would be better prepared.
He may not be as current, but the guy with 100 jumps only has 3% of the of the experience the old timer has.

The issue of jump numbers has been argued to death. Most of those that argue against them are the ones that don't yet meet them. Once they've gained the experience, many of them look back and find themselves saying "200 probably wasn't enough."
When things turn bad (and they will at some point or another) most folks are grateful for the pocketful of experience they are required to have.
But that doesn't fit well with the "me me me/energy-drinkl badass too cool for school" attitude that often rules the DZ.

more than likely the old-timer with 4000 jumps would be better prepared.
He may not be as current, but the guy with 100 jumps only has 3% of the of the experience the old timer has.

The issue of jump numbers has been argued to death. Most of those that argue against them are the ones that don't yet meet them. Once they've gained the experience, many of them look back and find themselves saying "200 probably wasn't enough."
When things turn bad (and they will at some point or another) most
folks are grateful for the pocketful of experience they are required to have.

But that doesn't fit well with the "me me me/energy-drinkl badass too cool for school" attitude that often rules the DZ.

I agree, that makes a lot of sense. And I mean setting a certain minimum of jumps in order to do certain things makes it a lot easier to get at least a small idea of when you might be ready for it. Fortunately I haven't personally met a lot of "me me me/badass" people around DZs, and people like that really ought to reconsider their involvement in the sport.