skydivermom

Static Line vs. AFF?

I just completed ground school last week and had a very scary levl 2 AFF jump. Part of the problem was stress and exhaustion, so I decided to jump closer to home (the dz was 3 hours away). My main problem was getting stable during freefall. The DZ I will be going to now does static line. I've heard it's more gradual and not so overwhelming. Just wanted to know what you all thought about it.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Thanks a bunch! I will do just that and I apologize for overloading the forums with another post about the subject. In the future I will explore other threads before posting another one. I understand if you need to delete my thread.
Mrs. WaltAppel

Thanks a bunch! I will do just that and I apologize for overloading the forums with another post about the subject. In the future I will explore other threads before posting another one. I understand if you need to delete my thread.

Bah! Don't apologize. Do your search, but realise there are new people on the boards everyday and things do evolve. :)
I did static line progression. I'm acutally quite happy I did too. To each their own best learning technique. But if your personal issue was stress and exhaustion, possibly being a little too flustered with anxiety to get yourself stable in freefall, the static line is for you IMO.

With static line, you will get all the rush of climbing out of an airplane adn all the review and coaching of your arch position (and ability to not flail) as you leave the plane. If you do well, you will be asked to pull a fake ripchord right after exit and again, your form will be reviewed.

The thing is, all of this is done without the freefall portion so you wont be exhausting your mind nearly as much with new sensations and trying to cope with them. You have less tasks to focus on for the jump at hand. Some argue that static line makes for better canopy pilots. (That's what you'll find constitutes the majority of your search results.... people arguing that point and wasting time about it - remember that we all learn differently) I maintain that perhaps it does because right from day one, canopy flying will get more of your mental focus.

Not to mention that via static line, you are always "on your own" so to speak. That might mean more confidence for you. Talk to some instructors. I think though, if it is a case of being a little flustered in freefall, static line will inch you closer and closer to comfort and understanding.

Good on you though, to consider all your options. In any case, remember to have fun B|

Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

You also may want to browse through some of the threads dealing with people that had trouble with a certain AFF level. A typical title might be: "I had trouble with AFF Level blah". Lot's of people have had trouble at one level or another.

I did static line myself, and think it is a fine way to learn to skydive. So if switching to static line keeps you moving forward, don't let me discourage you. But if after reading through a couple of those threads you find your problem wasn't so unusual, you may decide to keep with AFF, and keep the progress you've made so far.

I learned on the "dope rope" also. :)
The requirments for category B of the S/L OR the AFF progression could be compleated with Tandem. IF the student is having trouble with Level Two of the AFF training or trouble with level 2 of the S/L program.

Skydivermom: if you go this way and compleate the requirments with Tandem, and continue with the S/L program you will still have to do a S/L to get cleared BY a S/L instructor on staff at that DZ.........

IF you go tandem at the AFF program DZ you can continue AFF.

Hope this helps!

WB

My progression is called AFP. 3 tandems, then 7 AFF levels with an instructor. I think this is also a good option if your dropzone offers it. You get to experience freefall with a tandem instructor while you learn altitude awareness, turning, waving off and pulling. Then, the last 7 jumps are with 1 instructor. Is this popular with other DZ's?

I actually did 3 tandems at the dz in San Marcos. I just freaked out on freefall because I had never done it by myself, was exhausted, nervous and didn't feel well that day. It probably would have gone better had I waited to do the jump. The dropzone was 3 hours away from my home and so I think that contributed to the stress.

I found a skydiving place about an hour away from me and would have continued there even if they did AFF. I just figured the whole thing would work better being closer. This is a small skydiving club (oldest one in Texas) so I wasn't aware it existed before. Static line just seemed more appealing because of the way you gradually go into freefall. Also, it's much cheaper because they are so small. I heard horror stories about people having to repeat all these AFF levels and I just cannot afford that. I understand I may have to do that with static line but at least it's cheaper. Thanks for the advice and I may do a tandem every now and then just for fun, even though it won't go in my logbook!
Mrs. WaltAppel

I did my first SL jump on the 23 and loved it! I jumped from a Cessna 182. Actually hung from the strut of the plane at 4,000 ft. and when the JM said go I arched like my life depended on it. I really wasn't sure if it was a good arch because the chute opened by the time I could think about it. When I landed (another rough landing, sprained my right ankle) the JM said it was a perfect arch! So even though I really didn't freefall, I CAN do an arch up there! I keep looking at my logbook and the words "great arch" next to my first jump. I'm glad I can gradually go into freefall with static line. Thanks for the advice!
Mrs. WaltAppel

Not to mention that via static line, you are always "on your own" so to speak. That might mean more confidence for you.

I trained on static line, which was the only way to go 30 years ago. As much as I appreciate the AFF method, I think there's something to be gained from the gradual approach of static line and then on to gradually increased freefalls.

For starters, even on the static line, you are totally responsible for yourself the moment you leave the plane. When you start freefalling, you're responsible for pulling, no instructor is going to reach over and pull for you. It's really quite an accomplishment to do your own first pull, I still remember mine vividly on my 6th jump.

And while starting off with lengthy freefalls in AFF is a good thing, so is approaching freefall in gradual 3, 5, 10, 15, 20, and 30 second steps until you're going the full 60 from 13 grand. As you make each step up and spend a little more time in freefall, your instructors will add to the skills and drills they want you to work on.

But most importantly, you'll learn that a skydive from ANY altitude, for ANY delay is still a skydive and that it's even SAFE. There are too many AFF graduates who are just plain scared of jumping from less than 12 grand and they're terrified of pulling below 5 grand. It's really unfortunate too because it's not really their fault. They started out with high jumps and high pulls and taking it down lower, to perfectly safe altitudes like 3 or 4 grand subjects them to a degree of visual ground rush they're just not accusomed too. We talk to so many AFF grads who are making their mandatory hop & pop from as much as 5 grand, who tell us on the ride up how stressed out they're feeling about it. It makes me feel like want to offer to give up my slot on thedive I'm going up on and offer to lead them out and say, "just follow me, it will be fun". If you start out by pulling or opening at 3500 ft, or whatever it is these days for S/L, you're going to feel comfy with it right from the get-go, and after that learning to take it down to 3 grand, or even 2.5 in a pinch won't bother you so much.

The S/L progression might take a little longer, but you may well internalize what you learn better than an AFF seven jump wonder.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The best training program combines the best of all methods.
For example, tandem is a great way to see the "big picture" in a low-stress environment.
Then we start filling in the details with a couple of static-line (or IAD) jumps to learn the basics of canopy control.
A couple of sessions in a wind tunnel to master basic freefall body position, then a few AFF dives to master basic freefall survival skills and a dozen or so coached dives to refine solo skills.

No single method is perfect, it just works better at a different stage in the program.

Alright! That's what I like to hear. You did well and you had a great time doing it!

You see what I meant about not being as overwhelmed? You say: "I really wasn't sure if it was a good arch because the chute opened by the time I could think about it." Well it's more because you *were* experiencing sensory overload... just like in freefall on your tandem. Climbing out and hanging onto the strut is quite the rush in itself. I'd add that being jostled around by the lanyard after your exit is quite distracting too.

But this time, the period of severe mental stress was shorter and pinpoint (the exit is the scary part). You had a small job to do during this period and you did it well. Now you will gain a little confidence.

After another jump or two, you will come away from the plane *knowing* your body position is correct. It is the awareness that you are after first.

Anyway, cudos! And keep us posted B|

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I'm doing my second SL jump tomorrow and I'm as nervous as I was the first time! I'm practicing the arch on my living room floor. By the time my three-year old is 18, he'll be doing the arch in his sleep!
Mrs. WaltAppel

I realized during IAD jumps (and I made quite a few, both as a student and as a "training dummy" for IAD instructors), that if you keep your eyes on the plane as you depart you'll be a lot more aware of what your body position is. It also keeps you from looking down at the ground and de-arching. I made my best exits when I watched my instructor in the door during the whole process.

thanks a bunch for cheering me on. I'm doing my second SL jump tomorrow. I had to buy a case of root beer (I don't buy or drink alcohol) for everyone because I got snowed into saying the word "first". How could I have fallen for THAT!

Anyway, I'm taking my brother-in-law and a friend with me. They are doing their first tandem jumps. Most likely they will be addicted just like me. Can't get my husband to jump YET!

Please keep me in your thoughts for a good stand up landing this time!
Mrs. WaltAppel

Good luck on your second S/L!

I started on static line, but got stuck on 10second freefalls. I was comfortable exiting the plane and landing (I even became comfortable spotting), but just could not fall stable. I would either spin or just chip until pull. I ended up taking a vacation to Arizona and did AFF there, which worked very well for me.

Everybody learns differently, and everybody has problems with different parts. Stick with it, and be safe.