VRod

Northern season, and Certification maintenance

Hey folks - alright I am either going to buy a motorcycle in the spring or a full set of skydiving gear. I have jumped about 25 times and was working on getting certified, but then I moved up north from Florida, and was a bit shocked by the cold. It's been 10 years now and the cold doesn't bother me in the least anymore.

I remember I gave up on pursuing a SD cert because there would have been so much time between my last fall jump and my first spring jump.

I thought I would at least give SD'ing one last look before I actually bought my bike because since I can handle alot colder temps maybe I would rather do this instead.

Can anyone give me the scoop on how getting certified goes in the far north (Michigan), and keeping the cert through the off season? Do people jump in the winter up north?

Thanks

If there's any question in your mind, just buy the bike.

Beyond that, northern jumpers will either just take the winter off, or make a couple trips to a warmer climate for a few days of non-stop jumping.

You're really only looking at 2 or 3 months when it's too cold to jump all together. There are some colder months where you can still jump, but maybe from a lower altitude or maybe just one or two because of the cold.

Currency requirements for an A license jumper are 60 days, so if you go beyond that, you just make your first jump of the season with an instructor. Typically, northern jumpers will jump harder during the summer, as in both days every weekend to make up for the winter layoff. Jumpers in Fla or Ca might be a little more casual about getting there every weekend becasue they have the whole year to jump.

As an aside, I don't know what your budget is, but for a first rig you can buy used equipment and get a nice set-up for $2500 without an ADD, or $3500 with. You could spend even less get a rig that's not quite as 'nice' but still safe. If you were thinking about new gear, ditch that idea, and get a used rig AND a used bike.

Do not, however, mix the two and ride your bike with your rig on. Secured in a bag or bakcpack, yes, being worn like you were about to jump, no.

I think the tough part for me is going to be getting those winter jumps in. I called a local sky dive place in central MI and they're answering service says they close shop from like Thanksgiving to April.

I could probably get enough jumps in during season as I do 12 hr shifts, and only half the days out of the month.

Riding a bike with a rig on - That is some kind of visual!

Hey V,
I jump in NY, NJ, PA and we usually start around early March and end in Mid November. If I can get to Florida or Calif once during the winter that is great otherwise I use the time to just relax and ski my ass off. Jumping up north is an animal all unto itself. I personally am not one of those guys jumping right through the winter, but believe it or not many do.
To get recurrent at the beginning of the year you have to do a refresher and make a jump with an instructor.
I say get a locker at the DZ leave your mid priced rig there and commute on your mid priced bike...

If there's any question in your mind, just buy the bike.

Beyond that, northern jumpers will either just take the winter off, or make a couple trips to a warmer climate for a few days of non-stop jumping.

ORRRRRRRR .....

We just suck it up and make winter jumps! I haven't missed a calendar month in 14 years, and that is in Wisconsin. I can't imagine that every MI dropzone is closed all winter. It boils down to how bad you want to jump.

BS (Before Skydiving), I used to hibernate all winter. Crawl onto the couch in November and turn off the TV in March or April. Jumping has allowed me to survive the winter. I only have to look forward to the next jumpable weekend instead of the next non-frozen month.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I think the tough part for me is going to be getting those winter jumps in. I called a local sky dive place in central MI and they're answering service says they close shop from like Thanksgiving to April.

You may have to drive a couple hours to an alternate DZ to find one doing winter jumps. You'll get to know some of the other jumpers at your local DZ, and you could take a group trip for a weekend. Lot's of DZ are actaully 'open' anytime the weather is jumpable and there are enough jumpers to fill the plane. If you have 4 or 5 guys all willing to make 3 or 4 jumps, you can sometimes arrange for a 'closed' DZ to open up for a day.

Beyond that, just don't jump during the winter. Doing a recurrency jump in the spring isn't all that bad. There's a review of your EPs and general safety stuff, then you make a superivsed jump with an instructor. It's generally not a 'working' jump like when you were a student, it's usually more like a fun 2-way with an instructor.

Really, after your first winter you'll need a recurrency jump, but by the end fo your second winter you'll either have enough jumps not to need it or the DZ staff will get to know you and just let you make a solo to get back in the swing of things.

Like anything you haven't done for a few months, it will take a few jumps to get back to the skill level you had at the end of the last season, but everyone goes through that. By the time May/June rolls around, it will be like you never stopped jumping at all.

C'mon down to Skydive Spaceland for a week and I'll get you current and ready for the spring in MI. Don't buy a return plane ticket because I'm going to sell you my motorcycle.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Currency requirements for an A license jumper are 60 days,

As I understand it there are no currency requirements. Only recommendations.
The only USPA member requirements anywhere are in the BSR's. Everything else is probably just a good idea.
In other words, you don't have to do anything if you have a license. So except that the decision will be up to the individual DZ and some common sense depending on the individual skydiver, you can just wait till you feel like it. Or have the money. Or have the bike and the money. Any advice you get telling you what you must do is referring - or should be - to the policy at their DZ, and not a USPA requirement. Look it up. As a USPA member, looking hings up in the SIM should start to become a habit.