Beachbum

Slightly different take on state records

I've been thinking about trying to put something together just for fun. I'm not ready for really big stuff yet, but for this, it would not need to start that large. How many of you Texas folks are actually Texans? I don't mean lived here for a while and adopted the state, but actually born here? I think an all Texan big way would be a fun thing to do!!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could!

I just think that "State" records ought to consist of jumpers who actually reside in the state, and not be chock full 'o ringers from all over the country. In other words, it should represent an accomplishment of the jumpers of that state, and not just some formation that was made by people from all over the country, who just happened to be jumping in that state.

We already live by this principle at the National competition. You have to actually be a resident of the U.S. in order to win a medal at the U.S. Nationals. If you're from some other country, you can compete as a guest, but you can't win medals.

American national competition is for Americans. Texas state records should be for Texans.

Flame away.

I just think that "State" records ought to consist of jumpers who actually reside in the state, and not be chock full 'o ringers from all over the country. In other words, it should represent an accomplishment of the jumpers of that state, and not just some formation that was made by people from all over the country, who just happened to be jumping in that state.

We already live by this principle at the National competition. You have to actually be a resident of the U.S. in order to win a medal at the U.S. Nationals. If you're from some other country, you can compete as a guest, but you can't win medals.

American national competition is for Americans. Texas state records should be for Texans.

What he said.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

But on the flip side, U.S. records for largest formations are not only for Americans. All of the world records set in the U.S. were also logged as U.S. records, yet all had many non-residents participating.

This is not to say I necessarily disagree with your argument, just that I believe the comparison should be National formation size records to State formation size records, not Nationals competition to State formation size records.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hell I beat an all Texas record (born in Texas) would be pretty big in it's on right.

No doubt, but at least for starters, I'd like to have it small enough that I can play too ... LOL!! I am thinking about trying to round up locals who would be interested first and see what sort of count that amounts to.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I am thinking about trying to round up locals who would be interested first and see what sort of count that amounts to.

I like the idea, but I'm wondering how you would enforce this in the long run - require the jumpers to bring birth certificates as proof of Texas heritage? Or just take their word for it?

I'm not "flaming" but ........oh never mind :P

the darn things are just for fun anyway....

Last weekend we had someone who's USPA membership had lasp. Long story but the jump wasn't going to be "offical" I couldn't understand how important it was to some people that it be "offical" They went on line got it we did it again and it was "offical"

Kinda of the same thought about living in the state the record is done.....

It's all for fun.........

Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I like the idea, but I'm wondering how you would enforce this in the long run - require the jumpers to bring birth certificates as proof of Texas heritage? Or just take their word for it?

John, since this would just be for fun, I think we'd have to trust folks to be straight about it. If there was to be some sort of official something done, THEN maybe proof would be required?

I am thinking about trying to round up locals who would be interested first and see what sort of count that amounts to.

What if all I have is a certificate of live birth and my birth announcement from the news paper?

;)

I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could!

Flame away.

I like your idea but where do you draw the line. What if your home DZ is just across the state line from where you live and they decide to try for the state record?

You have to actually be a resident of the U.S. in order to win a medal at the U.S. Nationals.

John,
For a team to earn a medal in the Nationals all members must be US citizens not just residents.
If I remember right the Australian largest formation record was done at Perris. :P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I like your idea but where do you draw the line. What if your home DZ is just across the state line from where you live and they decide to try for the state record?

If I live in Buffalo, NY would that qualify me for the Canadian Nationals?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

For a team to earn a medal in the Nationals all members must be US citizens not just residents.

Not true.

1-1.4: Qualification Requirements
A. To compete at a U.S. National Skydiving
Championships and be eligible for nationals medals,
competitors must—

1. Be a U.S. citizen or comply with paragraph B
below

B. Competitors who are not U.S. citizens must possess a
Resident Alien Card U.S. INS Card I-551, or an
I-551 temporary stamp in their passport.

But for the purpose of State records it could be really simple.... Ask to see a drivers license.

Not true.

1-1.4: Qualification Requirements
A. To compete at a U.S. National Skydiving
Championships and be eligible for nationals medals,
competitors must—

1. Be a U.S. citizen or comply with paragraph B
below

B. Competitors who are not U.S. citizens must possess a
Resident Alien Card U.S. INS Card I-551, or an
I-551 temporary stamp in their passport.

But for the purpose of State records it could be really simple.... Ask to see a drivers license.

Busted.......thats what I get for not reading the whole thing. :$:o

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals