drewcarp

Quicksilver

Has anyone ever jumped or flown one of these? It's a Quicksilver Sport. My dad just bought one and I was thinking it would be a damn affordable and fun way to get to altitude.

From first glance it looks pretty easy, just do a very good pin check and be very careful not to snag anything and roll off the side? Probably a good idea for the pilot to have a rig on as well? and I have 200 hours in 172s and he is a retired commercial pilot so we aren't totally green :P

Any good common practices when it comes to jumping something like that? Also, could I just jump it onto the public GA airport my DZ uses or would that piss people off? I see powered parachutes out there some times..

Any tales of jumping or flying small odd aircraft would be appreciated as well, winner gets a free ride, hahaB|

D

Hi drew,

Has anyone ever jumped or flown one of these?

I've jumped one. But it was back when we did a lot of stuff that was not so 'legal.' :)

I don't keep up with the flying regs but back then you could only take two people if it was a training flight; so I guess I was 'taking some lessons' just before exit. :P

Now with the newer Light Sport Aircraft regs I don't know what the 'training' rules are anymore.

I do remember that there are a bunch wires everywhere wanting to trip you as you climb over to a location to exit from. :S

Anyone else on here have some better info for him?

JerryBaumchen

I made a jump out of one of those at an ultralite airshow in '83. Groundwinds were 15-ish, but winds aloft were like 30, and we were basically standing still while climbing. It pretty much sucked... kinda like a Harley: a lot of noise, but no speed. (Shit, did I say that out loud?) I got so impatient on jumprun because we weren't making any headway, so I just exited way short. Got close enough to high tension lines to hear them buzzing under my feet as I passed over.:S

BTW, you can forget about "altitude". The best you'll do is hop-'n-pop.[:/]

I believe you have my stapler.

you can forget about "altitude". The best you'll do is hop-'n-pop.

Quite right! The only time I've seen such aircraft take up jumpers, it took forever for them to get just to 2k.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have about 10 jumps from one and have flown probably 40 loads from one. Also I have used one as a camera platform on a ton of occasions.

Don't snag your PC (or any handles if you are using that dangerous skydive gear). climb rates vary a LOT. anywhere from 50'/min to well over 2000'/min. depends on how fat you and pilot are, the motor, prop, temp, etc.

If your shit comes out before you exit (you are pretty much always "on the step") you will kill yourself and the pilot. BRS parachutes are heavy, but worth it.

A good pilot can beat a jumper down from 2000'. all without breaking a VNE and an unaccelerated dive. (idle @ 72mph[VNE] decent angle can reach 60 degrees)
Add a 3g turn and it is near vertical.

dont crash it.