sky20yrs

Update on VETS

I wanted to let those of you that are interested know that we anticipate being ready to accept members by Memorial Day. That seems like a fitting time to kick it off.

Jim and I have agreed we will consider (and likely accept) the other-than-dishonorable discharges for those having served in the military, either active duty or Reserve/Guard vets. Of course, currently serving members of all branches are also eligible for membership. Current USPA membership required for US members, and we will set up a way to include vets from other countries as VETS branches are created in those countries.

We will be assigning VETS numbers during membership enrollment, so we encourage folks to join early when we are ready to go, since jumpers love to have low numbers. ;) We will also probably be assigning VETSCR awards and numbers, to encourage VETS to attend our Texas events and to encourage members to seek out other VETS to jump together at their DZs.

Our first VETS skydiving event is at Skydive Dallas on 28 May this year. I do have a few slots left if some of you would want to travel to attend the event. If you are interested in attending, please contact me as soon as possible at [email protected]. We figure on this being a smaller invitational this year to kick things off, but it is my hope that our events will grow and I will have the opportunity to meet and jump with many other vets at future events.

My personal thanks and gratitude to all veterans here for your service to our country!

Blue skies,

Cindy

ETA: I'm not on dropzone.com a lot, so email is best to contact me if you have any questions. Thanks!

Jim and I have agreed we will consider (and likely accept) the other-than-dishonorable discharges

Sorry, I would no longer be interested. But good luck to you.

Sparky

same here..
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

How do you feel about administrative and general (under honorable conditions) discharges? I expressed a wish that they would consider veterans who did not have honorable discharges in another thread, but the above was what I thought was reasonable.
Owned by Remi #?

...A General discharge is for service members who leave the service under honorable conditions, but their conduct and performance of duty was not so meritorious to receive an Honorable discharge. Reasons for such characterization are generally preceded by some form of nonjudicial conduct. Some people think that a General discharge is as good as an Honorable discharge, but this is not true. A General discharge may disqualify a veteran from participation in the GI Bill, service on veteran's commissions, and other programs where an honorable discharge is required....

http://www.eielson.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123117744
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

Exscuse me but, I beg you to reconsider your position on acceptance of anyone besides Honorably Discharged Veterans and Active personnel.

Having spent the past 27 years in the Navy and having spent a considerable amount of time and effort during this time to send home those who would not conform to the rules and regulations, I am somewhat offended that I would be grouped with these individuals and collectively considered Vet's. They gave up that title.

Otherwise, I applaude the idea and would gladly volunteer to be a central Florida recruiter of skydiving VETS.

Blue Sky's,

RJB, LCDR, USN
Sursum Ab Ordo
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Jim and I have agreed we will consider (and likely accept) the other-than-dishonorable discharges for those having served in the military...

So, that means accepting the following types of discharges:

- Honorable
- General (under honorable conditions)
- Under Other than Honorable Conditions (UOTHC)
- Bad Conduct

Is that going to be your acceptance criteria? I just want to make sure that I understand your post.

Kevin K.

Clearly I need to do some refreshing on the many types of discharges, as there are some I wasn't aware of. Jim and I were discussing situations such as Combat Medical and other types of discharges that are not dishonorable or less than honorable.

Hopefully the spirit of what we are trying to do will be understood, but without reviewing all of the possible discharges with Jim specifically yet, it's probably best not to lump them all together. Thus being the point we would consider accepting others. I was personally honorably discharged many years ago, and am not yet fully aware of the exact nature of every possible discharge scenario. However, it has come to my attention there may be some that do not in any way reflect dishonor and we didn't want to necessarily exclude those folks.

We will post the exact membership qualifications and other details prior to late May, and those interested may join.

The VETS organization is being created in part to do very GOOD things for veterans and their families in need, and to honor the many who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in serving. I believe it will be a very worthy cause and organization to be associated with, but each person must decide that for himself obviously.

Cindy

Our intention was to not exclude any veteran who honorably served or was honorably serving. We wanted to also make sure we allowed combat medical separations as well as retired military who are not discharged.

Accordingly, after reading the discharge categories and separation circumstances, I think we will stick with active duty personnel, honorably discharged, and retired military.

That should cover our intention.

If anyone knows of a combat related medical separation not covered under an honorable discharge please let Cindy or me know.

Blue skies,

Jim

We also consider currently serving vets in the Guard/Reserve eligible.

Thanks for clarifying, Jim...and my apologies for not being clearer in my original post.

Hopefully this erases concerns that some raised, however I realize we will likely not be able to accommodate everyone that may want to be eligible to join VETS.

I'm very excited about getting this going, and being able to do something tangible to help veterans and their families, while also sharing a bond with other jumpers who are vets.

Those who are not veterans will be able to be involved and help support our efforts, so feel free to tell your non-veterans friends about our organization.

Cindy

It was not my intention to rain on your parade and I am sorry for any incontinence I may have caused. My “Honorable Discharge” means a great deal to me and I am proud to have earned it. Thank you for reconsidering your membership requirements.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>>My personal thanks and gratitude to all veterans here for your service to our country!
Shove your thanks up your ass . . .

I didn't serve four years in the Marines in the 1970s for your gratitude. I did it because it was my duty as an American boy. Back then the Corps was handing out bad discharges like candy, mostly for drugs (which we all did) and my best buddy got a General Discharge after coming back from Southeast Asia without a leg but with a fondness for pot.

You Sunshine Patriots make me sick! Stop making yourselves feel better on our dime. Want to honor us? Go down to your local recruiter and sign up!

Or else shut the fuck up!

NickD :)USMC
1st Marine Division
1971 - 1975

Shove your thanks up your ass . . .

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ahhhhhhhhhhh:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry, but that was funny.

Theonlyski
Army
2/5 SFG(A) SIGDET
2005-2011

OIF 4, 5, 6, 7/OND 1
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

...mostly for drugs (which we all did)...

Not all of us, because some of us were dedicated to the job we were doing and not whining about how bad everything was, or how screwed up, or unfair!

I call bullshit Marine.

Team 46, Khanh Hoa Province, Dien Khanh District, II Corps, 1968-1969.

Blue skies,

Jim

Think your response was uncalled for honestly, Nick, but whatever. I owe no explanation, but feel the need to get this off my chest so I am.

I am sorry that your friend was injured. I know a lot more about Vietnam than most people my age. My dad and my ex-husband were both in Vietnam. I'd say I'm actually in a way a casualty of that war, lost my father at 3 years old far as I'm concerned. He couldn't deal with being a family guy after he got back. Said he never wanted to see me again, and that was it....not even a freaking single birthday card, phone call, nothing. And no child support, I sort of lost my mom as well since she had to work 2 jobs. One day when I was 16 years old, he called out of the blue and asked me to come meet him. Got a friend to ride with me and went to meet him at the airport.

He reeked of alcohol (I actually had a drink with him I was so freaked out) and he STILL spoke of seeing certain horrors with his Special Forces unit, described them in detail to me, a 16 year old. I never saw him again, and found out later that he died of a brain aneurysm.

My ex-husband never spoke to anyone before me about the stuff he endured and witnessed over there. He woke up swinging for years, I had to watch out for it.

There is a reason I am honoring the POW/MIA vets at my first event. It is close to my heart. I spread awareness whenever I can about those vets in particular, as THEY ARE NOT FORGOTTEN to me.

I also gave a welcome home party to all of the Vietnam vets at my DZ a few years ago. I found out who they all were, we had about 6 of them. Got their wives to be sure they'd be at the DZ, and gave them a welcome home more like the one they deserved and never received, although on a smaller scale, but the whole DZ got into it, and the vets really seemed to appreciate it. I did it because it pissed me off how the country acted back then when they did come home, (I was only what 5 or so years old at the time, but heard about it later). Some of us really do care, Nick. Just because we might have to make guidelines for membership does not take away from that fact.

I'm starting this organization so I can do more do help vets and their families, not to blow sunshine up my ass or anyone else's, just so that is clear. I know my heart is in the right place and I don't need to justify it to you, but I wanted to set the facts straight.

You really shouldn't be so quick to judge, Nick. You were dead wrong about me. And you still have my thanks, whether or not you want it. I certainly never meant to offend you.

I wish you the best, and hope you find some peace in the midst of such hostility you seem to harbor.

Cindy

Inconvenience ?

Rain on parade?

I can't stop laughing.

Anyway..... It sounds like the folks organizing this are trying very hard to do it the right way. I'm looking forward to joining.

Just keep laughing ass hole. I don't consider military service a joke.

Sparky

Or else shut the fuck up!

You are way out of line Nick. You and your buddies may have been heads but not everyone in country was. Those that used drugs in the bush got others killed. They signed up to be Marines and didn’t have the balls to do the job. Get off your high horse and face reality. You were not the only one that served. I resent your reference to “Sunshine Patriot”; I know what I did but have no idea what you did.

Sparky
HM2 USN
2nd. Batt. 3rd. Marines
Northern I Corp 1968/67

Honestly guys, I hate that others would see vets in this light, arguing with each other. We may not agree about everything, but we all served. My intention was to bring unity to the vets.

Might be time to delete this thread, doesn't seem too useful at this point.