artard

Awesome another skyride Groupon

Why on earth would you work with TWO MIDDLE MEN, let alone one. I mean, sure, do a groupon if you think it's gonna help, but... a second party groupon, are they insane.

This is not a wise way to conduct business.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

http://www.groupon.com/deals/sportations-denver-1/posts

Here's a link to the discussion where a skyride representative is already on the defensive when being asked questions about the specifics and locations in case you guys had any questions of your own for him :)

Patrick Roy would be envious at the deflection rate and not even Lance Armstrong can back-pedal as fast ....lol
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

I wrote an email to Groupon support

How can you possibly allow Skyride to continue running Groupon deals when they have been clearly shown in the past to be a completely unethical organization that breaks laws and books skydives at drop zones without their consent? In addition, they run thousands of dummy websites for fictional drop zones designed to clog up SEO rankings and to direct potential customers to buy vouchers that are almost always more expensive than dealing with the drop zone directly.

For example, the Groupon for today is $159 for a tandem skydive and can be redeemed at Skydive Boulder. Did you know that tandems regularly cost $150 at Skydive Boulder? Are the people who are buying this coupon which (falsely) states that it's up to a $294 value aware that they are actually paying more by going through Groupon than if they bought this deal directly? How does that reflect on Groupon's image as an ethical business, to not only allow a scam company to run numerous Groupons in several regions, but to allow their own customers to be tricked into thinking they got a "deal?"

The Skyride/Sportations organization is single-handedly lowering the level of quality and discourse in skydiving and adventure sports in general. Every time they are allowed to run a "deal" like this on Groupon, Living Social, or any other deal site, they are raking in enough cash to keep their operation running a little longer. And with those resources they can fight drawn-out court battles with drop zone owners, advertise their services in violation of local and federal guidelines, and continue to run their network of websites to hijack legitimate business away from drop zones. And every customer who has a bad experience as a result of their dealings with Skyride is one less potential skydiver. And one less Groupon user if they purchased their voucher through you guys.

For a parting thought, I question what the policymakers at Groupon would think of running MLM (Multi-Level Marketing) deals as Groupons? What if you could get a set of Cutco knives for $99.99 or some Acai berries that melt off that belly fat for only $39.99? How would that reflect on Groupon as a website and organization to allow such a deal to run? This is essentially the same image that is being cast on you by allowing Skyride to run Groupons.

Links:
http://1800skyrideripoff.com/skydiving/skyride/
http://funjumper.com/skyride/
http://www.skydiveorange.com/scam.htm
http://www.hotairballooning.com/skyrides.php
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=606

http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

Unfortunately, I do not think they have any better ethics.

I think someone there has ethics, the problem would be getting in touch with the right person. Seeing as Groupon makes a cut of all these deals, I'm willing to bet that the majority of their employees are in a 'sales' position directly, or support the sales department and recieve a percentage or bonus based on their overall sales.

Between the DC deal and the NYC deal, they sold something like 4500 of them for about $150 each, for a total revenue of $675,000-ish. Groupns cut of that has to be into the six figure range, so you have to find someone high enough up that they're willing to pass on a six figure deal is going to be tough.

In the CO discussion, someone made a great point about how Groupon is marketed as local businesses giving deals to local customers, yet here they are in business with 'Sportations' (I still want to know what the hell a sportation is), an out-of-state booking agent who's doing nothing more than middle-manning the deal, and reducing the value for all the locals involved, but it the customer or the service provider.

run away!!!!!

..We are aware of the competitors and certified jumpers within the discussion, which all information will be documented....

this might go on your permanent record!!!!!
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

Everyone gets all outraged by skyride tactics- often rightfully so- but there are DZOs doing stuff just as sleazy. There's a DZ nearby that ran a Groupon caiming a regular Tandem price of $299.99. You could go on their website & book it for $189 thru ProSkydiving's online reservation program. When Groupon found out, did they make the DZ change the groupon? NO. But the DZ took all references to regular price off their website. (does this make them conspirators?)
They also claimed (in the Groupon deal) an 18 place plane, 14K and Beach landings while knowing they had a 182 went to around 10K & are far inland. But I know some people who bought the deal & are going to go there and demand what they paid for & go to the State Attorney when the "Bait & Switch" happens.

Rather than writing out details about Skyride to Groupon in an attempt to get them to stop offering deals, wouldn't the emails be better served going to the DZ with the offer?

Groupon makes money by offering a discounted price on (product). They don't care what (product) is, nor who it would affect negatively (in this case, potential skydivers that have not heard about Skyride). Writing an email to Groupon explaining that drop zones are suffering due to false "deals" like these is urging the wrong crowd to stop these offers. If this same email with details were sent to Skydive Colorado, wouldn't it be more effective, being as Skydive Colorado seems to have more personal knowledge of shady business practices and care more about it? They may not know Skyride is such a scam, and that they could be potentially hurting their business by being associated with them. I had actually narrowed down my drop zones for getting my A license to 1 of 2 places, with Skydive Colorado being one of them. Since I had nothing else to really base it on (both places use the same airport as a DZ, and both charge the same price and have good reviews), I'm going with the other company simply due to the fact that Skydive Colorado is apparently hurting for money enough to let this kind of advertisement draw business into them.

Skydive Colorado is working with Sportations so they know about this "deal". I called Skydive Colorado and asked and they said they were working with Sportations.

I've already removed their listing with the link from my DZ's page. www.1800skyrideripoff.com/dzs
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org