dgbiss

Spectre parachute a good starting chute?

Hey guys,
Wondering if you could give me a little advice on the Spectre model parachute. I've been jumping a sabre2 170 and ready to downsize. I'm not too familiar with spectres, want to know if it is a good switch from a sabre2. Any differences or suggestion would be really appreciated.

First, by ready to downsize, what do you mean exactly?
How many jumps do you have total, how many on the sabre 2 170, what's your exit weight, what do your instructors say about you downsizing? Because while a spectre can be a good beginner/intermediate canopy, a 150 sqft canopy is not a beginner canopy. And if a switch is ok or not depends on what you like in a parachute and what your plans are, as these are 2 fairly different canopies.

Anyway a spectre is a 7cell, it flies steeper than the sabre2, in the right size it makes for an excellent beginner/easygoing/wingsuit/camera canopy, you'll have to work it a bit more to get back from a long spot, openings are great, flare is a bit less than on a sabre2, if you plan on swooping now or later stay with a sabre2.
Try a search on here for more info, take a look at the review section as well.

And try before you buy.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Whether or not it is a good switch is completely subjective, dgbiss.

The Sabre2 and the Spectre are rather different parachutes.

Spectre is 7 cells, known for reliable openings and for being a quite fun flying parachute.

Sabre2 is 9 cells, known for reliable openings and for being a quite fun flying parachute.

;):)

Given the same wingloading, the S2 will be a more 'performance' parachute.

What kind of jumping do you do? What is your experience? Where are your instructors, coaches and mentors? They would be best able to give you advice suited for yourself.

Bottom line, however, is either parachute will serve you well if you choose the right wingloading and fly it with your head up.

Cheers.

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Anyway a spectre is a 7cell, it flies steeper than the sabre2

Not according to PD:

Many jumpers do not expect a seven-cell canopy to glide as far as a comparable nine-cell, but at full glide the Spectre actually has a slightly flatter glide angle than some nine-cell canopies, including both the original Sabre and the Sabre2.

"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I presume by "ready to downsize" you mean that you have demonstrated mastery of the skills described in both of these documents while flying your current canopy.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=47

http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf 
See ALL the drills in this 22 page document.

Spectre in the right size may be a great canopy for you!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I went from the sabre to the spectre (stayed with the 170), I did about 350 jumps on the sabre, there are some different characterics between the two but the BIG one is the openings. The spectre is like falling into a ball of cotton. Do a couple of hundred jumps on your 170 (sabre or spectre) before the 150, you will be suprised on how much you don't know on the 170. Take your time, you have a life of skydiving ahead of you............and just remember one important thing...... it's not how many jumps you have...BUT how many you have left......keep asking questions...stay on top of your game..don't assume

Anyway a spectre is a 7cell, it flies steeper than the sabre2

Not according to PD:

Many jumpers do not expect a seven-cell canopy to glide as far as a comparable nine-cell, but at full glide the Spectre actually has a slightly flatter glide angle than some nine-cell canopies, including both the original Sabre and the Sabre2.

Huh?
When i fly in close proximity with one other jumper who flies a Sabre loaded about the same as me i fly slower and has less glide.
I dont know how much size of canopy matters, but she flies a 120 or 135 Sabre and i fly 170 Spectre.

I have never found that my Spectre has a good glideratio compared to other canopies.

I have about 50 jumps on my Spectre 190. From my limited experience I think the Spectre is a great all around parachute. Openings are usually very soft but the snivel can sometimes be lengthy. Glide ratio is less than other chutes, namely the Sabre2, so on long spots you do have to be aware. Approach to landing appears steeper than other chutes but there is plenty of power to flare.
The dangers of life are infinite, and among them is safety.

Geez..Did you read one of their opening lines ?
"Same size and weight jumper, same size canopy"...

Where does it say that?
I replied to docpop and dragons post.

The reason i wrote it is because what docpop wrote does not add up with my expirience, and as i can see not with dragons either.
Maybe you should go bark on the one that missquoted PD instead, if that is the case

Where does it say that?

The reason i wrote it is because what docpop wrote does not add up with my expirience, and as i can see not with dragons either.
Maybe you should go bark on the one that missquoted PD instead, if that is the case

So now you're wrong twice. The quotes from PD are correct. The conditions of similar weight loading and weather conditions apply and were noted above.

The Spectre has a flat glide angle and does float. I have 175 jumps on my 210 loaded 1.1 and will confirm the flight characteristics. The only issue is getting back from long spots, but flying in half brakes usually gets me home. Otherwise, it's easy to land in alternative spaces.

Where does it say that?

Here is the statement from PD:

A Note on Comparing Canopies: When comparing two different canopy designs, such as the Spectre and the Sabre2, an accurate comparison can only be made if the canopies are the same size and are flown under similar conditions. The canopies must also be flown by the same jumper, or by two jumpers of very similar size and weight. Comparing a Spectre 150 to a 170 square foot canopy, for example, would not yield an accurate comparison. If you jump one canopy when the winds are calm, and another canopy when the winds are slightly stronger, this can also affect your impression of the canopies.

The way canopies are “set up” can also affect a comparison. Two identical canopies will perform differently if one has the toggles attached at the location specified by the factory, but the other has had the steering lines shortened a few inches. There may be differences between a canopy with new lines and one that has several hundred jumps on the line set. There will also be a significant difference if one canopy has a collapsible pilot chute and the other does not, even if both are fairly large canopies.

"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Both my spectres (150 new @ 1:1 and 135 3rd hand @ 1.15) definitely didn't have as flat a glide as most of the other canopies I've had (safire 1, fusion, pilot). I'm pretty sure my venceance flies steeper, as did my lightnings, but IMO a (same-size/same-loaded) spectre needs way more work to make it back from a long spot than all my other sport canopies. Which is why I sold my 135: I was having too much trouble making it back when flying video sometimes (longish tandem spots). For wingsuiting, filming CRW, filming bellyfly and whatnot it's an excellent canopy though.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Both my spectres (150 new @ 1:1 and 135 3rd hand @ 1.15) definitely didn't have as flat a glide as most of the other canopies I've had (safire 1, fusion, pilot). I'm pretty sure my venceance flies steeper, as did my lightnings, but IMO a (same-size/same-loaded) spectre needs way more work to make it back from a long spot than all my other sport canopies. Which is why I sold my 135: I was having too much trouble making it back when flying video sometimes (longish tandem spots). For wingsuiting, filming CRW, filming bellyfly and whatnot it's an excellent canopy though.

For the sake of comparisons, PD is comparing a Sabre 2 to a Spectre, not any other manufacturer's canopy (safire 1, fusion, pilot). Looks like we're in agreement otherwise.

Not replying to anyone in particular.

I had two Katana 120s. I regularly jumped them back to back. I could tell noticeable differences in the way each of them flew, even though they were the same size and neither had excessive jumps on a lineset. Although the differences weren't huge, I could tell minor differences in how they performed in riser turns, openings, flare responsiveness, etc. They were simply slightly different.

Sometimes all things being equal, even the same canopy models will differ slightly from one to the next. Comparisons are merely generalizations. Just something to keep in mind.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

The Spectre has a flat glide angle and does float. I have 175 jumps on my 210 loaded 1.1 and will confirm the flight characteristics. The only issue is getting back from long spots,

A flat glide angle and having trouble getting back from long spots are not compatible descriptions of the performance.

I've never jumped one, but sure have heard a lot of those that have say that a Spectre is great in many ways, but not for having a flat glide ratio.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am