Witelli

Wing loading and canopy performance

This question is mostly hypothetical, but I'm curious. So I'm about 220lbs at 5'10" (fatbastard) and I still rent gear, a Navigator 240. I'm not sure exactly what is my exit weight, but I'm probably close to a 1.1 wingloading. Can anyone estimate how much the gear weighs for me? Anyway, if I lost 40 pounds tonight, would I have the same canopy experience if I flew a Navigator 200 tomorrow? I think you'd probably agree that wouldn't be too much of a problem. But if I said I was going to fly a Stiletto 190, you'd probably say absolutely not. (example is off only because I don't think they make a stiletto 200 or a Navigator 190, but we can assume the Navigator and Stiletto would be the same size and wingloading) Why is wing loading such a big deal when canopy performance has so much to do with it? I saw a thread that discussed recommended wing loadings that were added to the new SIM. Could this be misleading, 'cause if you go to the PD website they have recommended exit weights and experience levels for their canopies? I'm probably asking a stupid/already discussed question and I may not have my facts straight, but I figured I'd throw it out there since I have nothing better to do. Plus, I want to learn everything I can. Thanks.

That was perfect. Thank you!!! One thing though, they say the model doesn't change speed assuming same wing loading. But glide angle might change. I'm assuming speed refers to forward speed and glide angle would increase downward speed, am I correct?

if you go to the PD website they have recommended exit weights and experience levels for their canopies

Just to be clear, those are maximum wingloadings for each experience level. If you exceed the wingloading in one category, it puts you into the next one up.

Can anyone estimate how much the gear weighs for me?

Student gear (meaning in your case, large rig with large canopies) is probably around 30 lbs. That means that your exit weight is about 250 lbs. Your exit weight puts you in the "Advanced" category for wingloading on a Navigator 240, just so you know.

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

> Why is wing loading such a big deal when canopy
> performance has so much to do with it?

I think that's just the human tendancy to look for a
simple rule of thumb for a complex situation.

Some well chosen simplifications can really help
in understanding and in coming up with answers
that are good enough, but people take it too far
and try to zero in on just one factor.

For canopies it's wing loading and rules relating
wing loading with number of jumps, for exit separation
it's "just wait 5 seconds and go" or maybe the "45
degree rule", for landing it's "follow the first person
down".

Maybe that's better than nothing, I'm not sure, but
it's certainly not good enough.

And you see people doing this everywhere, not just
in skydiving.

Wasn't it Einstein who said a physical theory should
be as simple as possible, and no simpler?

Skr